U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 04:38 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,331,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlchase View Post
Im from the Northeast, and don't think many down here know good Italian food including pizza, the best down here is Carabbas and Little Caesars, the Greeks down here can't cook
If you say the best down here is Carabbas & Little Caesars your pallette of opinion would carry no weight with me.
Carrabbas is freaking N-A-S-T-Y, over sauced, over salted. It is the only time in recent memory that I threw away an entire plate of food and I'm not that picky of an eater. So if I stop eating a meal because of bad taste it is royally f****d up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2012, 04:47 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,331,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileytw View Post
I grew up in Eden but I no longer live there, I live at the coast. I had to respond to this post because you obviously haven't researched your claims and your facts are all wrong.

Let's compare Eden to High Point with facts this time: Eden population: 15k / High Point population 100k. Eden is smaller but that isn't always bad.

The primary job market in Eden is still textiles at 20% and it appears that the High Point job market has really crashed with furniture dropping to 9% and still being the primary market.

Unemployment: Eden: 8.3% / High Point: 12.1%. Now which city did you say had been "rocked" by industry going overseas? Looks like the furniture capital has taken more of a beating than the textile capital. Get your facts straight if you're going to put them out for everyone to see.

Oh, don't forget the crime rate too. High Point's crime rate is 553 and the national average is 320. Seems a little high. May be because of the unemployment rate.

As for nice neighborhoods, there are several in Eden and in the surrounding areas if you knew where to look and the cost of housing is relatively inexpensive. There are still the old "mill hills" like I grew up on and those homes are older and dated but still solid homes unlike some of the newer homes being build today. The Central area of Eden and along Hwy 14 has some nice homes and some really nice residents like my parents who worked hard and moved off the mill hill into a better neighborhood.

I'm not trying to be difficult here but I hate it when people ask for advice and others chime in with their subjective opinions when they know very little about what they are talking about. I went to college and left Eden, not because Eden isn't a nice place but because I entered the military after college and have lived in Va, Ca, coastal NC and coastal SC since I left. I doubt I will go back to Eden to live because there isn't a lot of employment opportunities for me there but it's a nice place to raise a family and not some backwoods dead end as this gentleman portrays it.
I know this is a very old thread but my post is of my opinion, I don't need to do any more research than what I observe when I travel to Eden. As I stated if there are nice parts of Eden I don't know where they are as my job has me servicing various parts of the city. The city is mostly depressing to the eye, especially commercial/retail areas, the people are old and many of the younger ones appear sickly and/or are obese. The only place that has any semblance of modernization is about 1/2 mile stretch of S Van Buren. And for the record I've been traveling there for over 6 years and that place has absolutely no appeal for me.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:01 PM

1,463 posts, read 3,178,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Yeah, and I bet you don't know how to make biscuits and gravy. What's your point?
ROFL! Now myself being raised by parents from the area-I can whip up a mean pizza as well as my Grandmother's award winning hush puppies-they transplanted to NY in the 50's-and I got the best of both worlds.

I was down through Eden this summer right before my Mother passed. I was charmed by the place she grew up. My Grandfather was a architect there and many of his places he designed are now on the Registry of Historic places. While it's smaller than where I am living now-it's exactly the way where I am now was growing up. I'd not have a problem being back around family at all.

You have to not come in with the ideas-well we didn't do it that way. Stop right there. You moved to their area. You learn the ways of the community you come to-you don't try and change them to where you've come from-especially if you are running from the onslaught of high taxes, over crowded streets and moving at light speed. That's going to make a transition much easier. Before buying-rent to get the feel of a area too.

Wish you luck-someday I will come back to where my parents came from and away from umpteen feet of snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point