U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2008, 02:53 PM

15 posts, read 75,870 times

Advertisements

We are moving to NC this summer. My husband will be working in Eden and we are looking for something in either Eden or surrounding areas - within 30 minute drive.
I have never lived in a small town and kind of overwhelmed by the idea -lived in LA, NYC, Chicago, Las Vegas, & Indianapolis (see a trend here?). NC sounds good though...just different (very different). It's pretty...very pretty.
So...ANY suggestions? Area you would recommend? Areas to avoid? How about the schools? We have 2 kids in 2nd grade. Tips for adjusting? How about churches? We go to a large non-denominational Christian church now & everything there seems to be Baptist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2008, 07:59 PM

61 posts, read 219,359 times
Eden is a small city in northern Rockingham County almost on the Virginia state line. The major employer in that area is Miller Brewing. I live in the southern part of the county, about 30 min away about 10 miles southwest of Reidsville. One of my neighbors worked for Miller and commuted to Eden every day. He did not mind the drive at all. At least where I live, it is only a 20 minute drive into Greensboro which has all the larger city conveniences (shopping, restaurants). Bethany elementary school I hear is a highly regarded one according to neighbors who send their kids there. Feel free to PM me with any additional questions. Best of luck with your move.

Old 03-19-2008, 01:18 AM

1,261 posts, read 3,895,626 times
Me personally, I would choose to live in Summerfield, Stokesdale or Oak Ridge and then drive to Eden for work. The schools are better and it isn't that far to Eden.

Old 03-19-2008, 05:34 PM

893 posts, read 444,531 times
Oh dear...I lived in Reidsville for a long 16 months along time ago(15yrs) but I suggest you let your DH drive and live closer to a actual city or you will pull your hair out.IMO

Old 03-23-2008, 08:59 AM

6 posts, read 34,614 times
Smile Looking for small rural town--please help

Hey,
I'm moving to NC from NY (upstate). Right now I live in the country where I can pretty much do what I want as far as have cats, dogs, let my child outside without fear, but we are so sick of the snow and cold. I'd like to find a small town (right now my town has 310 people) that is still not far (30 min) from a city where I can shop, work, etc. A great school is very important. Also I'd like to have some land, at least a couple acres, and be able to get a home for under $100,000. Oh yeah, and some rolling hills and a great view would be nice. Also no panthers or wild animals to eat cats (bad experience with that during a short stay in Florida). I'd like to be in the Piedmont, I think. Any of this possible. Thanks for any input!

Old 03-24-2008, 07:11 PM

12,577 posts, read 13,302,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyTwinsMom View Post
We are moving to NC this summer. My husband will be working in Eden and we are looking for something in either Eden or surrounding areas - within 30 minute drive.
I have never lived in a small town and kind of overwhelmed by the idea -lived in LA, NYC, Chicago, Las Vegas, & Indianapolis (see a trend here?). NC sounds good though...just different (very different). It's pretty...very pretty.
So...ANY suggestions? Area you would recommend? Areas to avoid? How about the schools? We have 2 kids in 2nd grade. Tips for adjusting? How about churches? We go to a large non-denominational Christian church now & everything there seems to be Baptist.
Eden may be quite a jolt for you. I live in High Point & frequent Greensboro. While these cities pale in comparison to where you have lived my point is the entire county of Rockingham is a jolt for me when I go there. If there are nice neighborhoods in Eden I haven't seen them. The entire county has been rocked by industry going overseas and IMHO the place depresses me. While there are nice people there to cross into Rockingham county is to go back in time 30 years. I can't get back to Guilford county fast enough. Don't mean to offend or frighten, just one person's opinion.

Old 07-08-2008, 12:12 PM

1 posts, read 12,269 times
While Eden is considerably smaller than your previous home cities, you will be pleasantly surprised by the community. Compared to other areas there is low crime, low cost of living and easy access to amenities in the larger cities (Danville, VA is 20 min., Greensboro is 30 min., Martinsville, VA is 20 min., Winston-Salem 50 min., Raleigh is 90 min., and Charlotte is 2 hrs.) You can find homes in your price range and pretty much every religion is represented. Your twins may enjoy the year round school offered at Central Elem. in Eden. (They attend nine weeks are off for three and then have a six week summer break-allows for off season travel-savings and less crowded). Hope this is helpful

Old 07-24-2008, 08:16 AM

9 posts, read 51,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by resideinNC View Post
While Eden is considerably smaller than your previous home cities, you will be pleasantly surprised by the community. Compared to other areas there is low crime, low cost of living and easy access to amenities in the larger cities (Danville, VA is 20 min., Greensboro is 30 min., Martinsville, VA is 20 min., Winston-Salem 50 min., Raleigh is 90 min., and Charlotte is 2 hrs.) You can find homes in your price range and pretty much every religion is represented. Your twins may enjoy the year round school offered at Central Elem. in Eden. (They attend nine weeks are off for three and then have a six week summer break-allows for off season travel-savings and less crowded). Hope this is helpful
I agree whole-heartedly. I was born and raised in Eden, and although nothing to brag on as far as shopping or dining (which, as stated previously, can be accessed from Danville, Va to Greensboro, NC in no more than 35 minutes - and a scenic drive at that!), Eden is quite peaceful - some might even call it serene. Not a lot of crime here compared to the larger burgs. Real estate cost is a dream here compared to places like Greensboro and Winston Salem - here, a mortgage payment will normally run you less than the rent on a 1 to 2 bedroom apartment elsewhere. We also boast one of the only drive-in movie theaters left in the country...a very relaxing night out, I must say.

Sometimes boring can have it's benefits...you never know, you might come to love our little corner of the South!

Last edited by GhostGirl1; 07-24-2008 at 08:35 AM..

Old 07-27-2008, 04:55 PM

716 posts, read 1,525,083 times
Kings Inn Pizza makes Eden great.

I've been all over the country and have never had any better...

Old 07-28-2008, 08:31 AM

9 posts, read 51,814 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splinter View Post
Kings Inn Pizza makes Eden great.

I've been all over the country and have never had any better...
I've heard that before, and am always amazed...of course everyone has different tastes. To several of my friends and I, it tastes over-done...burnt, actually, and has a strange after-taste. I prefer Stella's overall - if you haven't tried it, I suggest their Deluxe...yummo!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point