U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2017, 06:53 PM

824 posts, read 1,018,387 times

Advertisements

So I see that greensboro used to be a textile hub, but am I right in saying it's now solely focused on the aerospace industry, and quickly becoming a leader in the US as a whole?

Looking at the success of Honda jet I think that's a yes, Honda Jet which was once just a tiny little dream now employ's over 2000 workers, has several facilities including,

a 69,293-square-foot headquarters, as well as a 187,400 square foot research and development center and 258,800 square feet of production space. And In 2011, HondaJet decided to build a $20 million MRO facility at the Greensboro site,

Now it's expanding yet again with a 120.000 square foot facility for increased production that can push total employees over the 3000 mark.

Then I mention the 300 million dollar FedEx hub, while not seeing an explosion of growth boom like honda, still retains a prominent spot in the economy of greensboros growing aerospace industry. And is also a reason why Honda Chose Greensboro/North Carolina over other states that were fighting for the Honda jet facility.

So I have to ask, what's next? In the end in fujino words about the future, he has massive plans for Greensboro/Triad as a whole. Including the possibility of opening up another facility. Pushing the total employed to over 6000 in the long run that builds medium sized passenger aircraft.

"What Fujino was clear about, however, is that he wants to attract serious engineering talent to Greensboro. He wants Honda Aircraft Company to be a place where young engineers desire to work and learn.

“With this kind of investment, I invest a lot for our people,” says Fujino. “That means I tried to create a company with young, competent students and a place where people want to join to grow and use their skill set and potential.”

And I leave you with another insightful quote from fujino San.

“I have a big dream for the Honda Aircraft Company, but first, I want to make the HondaJet successful,” says Fujino. “I then hope to build from this foundation, ultimately creating an aviation industry in Greensboro.”

https://www.google.com/amp/www.fly-c...his-dream/amp/

So if you ever drive by the Honda jet facility, remember that it used to be nothing but a dream, a dream 25 years in the making that honda took a massive chance on, fujino san scribbled a silly concept on a napkin in an Osaka buisness meeting, and what could possibly be what drives Greensboros economy in the near future.

Last edited by GSOCitizen; 11-15-2017 at 07:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2017, 09:45 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,307,478 times
I don’t think so. In the Carolinas alone Charleston & Charlotte stick out in my mind.

The first thing that comes to mind is Charleston where Boeing alone has 8,000 employees not to mention the jobs that came related to aerospace and Boeing.

GSO is 1 of 6 regional US hubs for FedEx that won’t grow too much since it’s huge Memphis hub is over in Tennessee and large hub at Indianapolis.

I would assume GSO lags behind CLT in cargo by a large margin. GSO has 4 cargo Airlines vs.
at least 15 cargo Airlines in CLT not counting the major airlines. Prime air by Amazon choSe CLT over greensville SC for their cargo operations

I don’t see GSO overtaking Charleston or Charlotte. Then you have Mobile, Alabama. They have Airbus and will now get some Embraer. Not as many employees as GSO but still impressive.

I know much more about Airlines but I imagine ATL absolutely dwarfs GSO in cargo also. Even excluding the Airlines.

So I doubt it’s a leader In the USA just looking at Charleston, Charlotte, Atlanta, Mobile, Miami alone just nearby.

HondaJet though is a great company to have and yuge asset.

Here’s an article about aerospace manufacturing growing in the South.

Quote:

The South is home to auto giants Mercedes-Benz, Volkswagen and Nissan Motor Co. It is increasingly attracting some of the biggest names in aviation, including Boeing Co. in South Carolina, Airbus in Alabama, Gulfstream Aerospace Corp. in Georgia and GE Aviation in North Carolina.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.usa...story/7209467/

Edit: GE Aviation in NC has 1300 employees in Durham, West Jefferson, Wilmington & Asheville.

Quote:
The new facility would be part of a larger commitment by GE Aviation to invest $195 million across its North Carolina operations through 2017. GE Aviation has more than 1,300 employees in North Carolina at sites in Durham, West Jefferson, Wilmington, and Asheville.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:08 PM

421 posts, read 293,955 times
Not that this refutes anything Charlotte485 said or anything, but HAECO is another good aerospace company that has well over 1500 jobs in the area as well between Greensboro and Wallburg.

Aerospace is definitely becoming a focus industry of the area. But it's certainly dwarfed by the cities mentioned above. And with the expansion, it wouldn't be surprising to see another big development in the industry in the area in the next couple years or so.

Old 11-15-2017, 10:16 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,402,977 times
I agree the other cities dwarf Greensboro in that sector. However I do think its possible Greensboro can surpass those cities in aerospace. Greensboro is kind of new to it but I think with Honda Jet and future companies its possible. What works in Greensboro's favor is the fact that it doesn't have a busy passenger airport. Very busy passenger airports don't really make great industrial airports. The airport authority in Greensboro has hundreds of acres of land adjacent to PTI set aside for companies like Boeing and the state has spent millions on an airport taxiway project over I-73 to access that land so we have only seen the beginning in Greensboro. Also keep in mind its not just Honda Aircraft Company. There are a number of aviation companies that call PTI home.

Who all remembers the proposed Triad Tower near PTI. It was suppose to be a 22-story office tower with residential and include a restaurant and observation deck on the top floor. It was to be built near the I-40 Hwy 68 interchange. The plan fell through due to the recession at the end of tge Bush era and was never revived. The developer wanted to market the area as "downtown Triad" it was one of two highrise buildings planned for Greensboro at the time and both fell through either because of the recession or the political winds changing in Washington. The other building was suppose to be an 18-story federal courthouse in downtown Greensboro.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 11-15-2017 at 10:39 PM..

Old 11-16-2017, 06:06 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,440,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
So I see that greensboro used to be a textile hub, but am I right in saying it's now solely focused on the aerospace industry,
No, not at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
and quickly becoming a leader in the US as a whole?
Not really. Its a nice sector for the city, but still relatively small compared to many other areas.

Old 11-16-2017, 08:39 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,307,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I agree the other cities dwarf Greensboro in that sector. However I do think its possible Greensboro can surpass those cities in aerospace. Greensboro is kind of new to it but I think with Honda Jet and future companies its possible. What works in Greensboro's favor is the fact that it doesn't have a busy passenger airport. Very busy passenger airports don't really make great industrial airports. The airport authority in Greensboro has hundreds of acres of land adjacent to PTI set aside for companies like Boeing and the state has spent millions on an airport taxiway project over I-73 to access that land so we have only seen the beginning in Greensboro. Also keep in mind its not just Honda Aircraft Company. There are a number of aviation companies that call PTI home.

Who all remembers the proposed Triad Tower near PTI. It was suppose to be a 22-story office tower with residential and include a restaurant and observation deck on the top floor. It was to be built near the I-40 Hwy 68 interchange. The plan fell through due to the recession at the end of tge Bush era and was never revived. The developer wanted to market the area as "downtown Triad" it was one of two highrise buildings planned for Greensboro at the time and both fell through either because of the recession or the political winds changing in Washington. The other building was suppose to be an 18-story federal courthouse in downtown Greensboro.

The problem with becoming an aerospace cluster is that it’s such an incentive driven industry. Outside of Seattle, I’m not sure an aerospace company bases its location decision based on where “talent” is. For example, oil companies or Technology companies, etc. I could see choosing a region based on local talent.

NC would have to throw huge incentives for more aerospace, a department where we severely lack and usually get dwarfed by (both Auto & aerospace industries we are always pennies to the dollars from our southern peers in our incentive packages). Then the politics of should Kinston & Eastern NC get the aerospace manufacturing, Charlotte & Raleigh would want it, etc.

And I agree with another poster. Aerospace is a nice sector for the city. But even in the south, I think it’s dwarfed by multiple players. And to become a leader in the US, NC has to pony up billions in giveaways

Old 11-16-2017, 10:12 AM

4,586 posts, read 4,402,977 times
I think Toyota-Mazda will be the test. Will the state give them what they want. I agree incentives do play an important role in landing companies or their operations. But a major aerospace in the Triad will have to be a long term endeavor. Its not going to happen over night

Old 11-17-2017, 12:58 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I agree the other cities dwarf Greensboro in that sector. However I do think its possible Greensboro can surpass those cities in aerospace. Greensboro is kind of new to it but I think with Honda Jet and future companies its possible.
Well anything is possible but that's not an actual reason why it will happen.

Quote:
What works in Greensboro's favor is the fact that it doesn't have a busy passenger airport. Very busy passenger airports don't really make great industrial airports. The airport authority in Greensboro has hundreds of acres of land adjacent to PTI set aside for companies like Boeing and the state has spent millions on an airport taxiway project over I-73 to access that land so we have only seen the beginning in Greensboro. Also keep in mind its not just Honda Aircraft Company. There are a number of aviation companies that call PTI home.
When you consider the cities in the South that have aerospace/aviation manufacturers that employ several thousand people, you'll notice that they are mostly located in coastal cities to be close to seaports--and some have higher annual passenger counts than PTI. I'm thinking specifically of Charleston, Mobile, and Savannah (which has Gulfstream and employs 10K). I don't think Mobile's airport is busier than PTI but CHS and SAV are.

Old 11-17-2017, 01:30 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,321,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I'm thinking specifically of Charleston, Mobile, and Savannah (which has Gulfstream and employs 10K). I don't think Mobile's airport is busier than PTI but CHS and SAV are.
Isn't the Airbus facility in Alabama located at Mobile's downtown airport (BFM), which is basically just general aviation and cargo with no commercial passenger jets. Which is unlike both Gulfstream and Boeing which are located directed at SAV and CHS respectively.

If you want to be a player in the aerospace industry, you need to have Boeing, Airbus, Gulfstream, etc. located near by or have defense contractors/Space X/Blue Origin and/or a NASA research facility near by. I'm not saying it is impossible to get into the "aerospace club", but it helps to have very powerful US Senators and House of Representatives to get private and federal agencies to be located in your state.

When Houston landed NASA in the early 60's, it surely helped that Lyndon B. Johnson was Vice President and head of the Space Council, Albert Thomas headed the House Appropriations Committee, Bob Casey and Olin E. Teague were members of the House Committee on Science and Astronautics, and Teague headed the Subcommittee on Manned Space Flight. Finally, Sam Rayburn was Speaker of the House of Representatives.

Old 01-22-2018, 10:04 AM

18 posts, read 45,261 times
Just remember NC threw what 5 time more money at Toyota then did Alabama, so, NC isn't afraid to throw money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or