U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2020, 05:38 AM

5,416 posts, read 5,351,169 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
That's my guess, too. I-40 in W-S pretty much functions the same way as I-73/I-85 in Greensboro.

I don't think there would be much local support for building the southern half of the beltway. NCDOT had already went through litigation hell just to get the northern half started, and given their current budget problems, I doubt they'll want to go down that *road again anytime soon.

(*Pun may or may not be intended...)
Makes sense but you'd think the beltway would end at I-40 instead of continuing past I-40 for several miles and then end. But probably at some point in the future as the surrounding area grows and traffic picks up, you never know.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2020, 08:58 AM

3,594 posts, read 4,685,464 times
I wonder if there is a comprehensive effort to plan development along Beltway interchanges

Old 09-05-2020, 09:52 AM

31,327 posts, read 69,450,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarheelhombre View Post
I wonder if there is a comprehensive effort to plan development along Beltway interchanges
Of course there is.
But most of the land purchases (and options) to be made ... were made a long time ago.

Old 10-23-2020, 06:26 AM

1,049 posts, read 2,087,493 times
I doubt I'll still be working at my current job when it's finished, but if I was it'd cut my Old Town to Clemmons commute significantly. Oh, to live in the future.

Old 10-23-2020, 10:49 AM

22 posts, read 8,927 times
It's time for the Triad to think beyond highways as the answer to mobility needs. With the completion of their respective loops, Greensboro and Winston will have freeway systems that are superior to much larger cities. These loops should be allowed to fulfill their intended purpose as bypasses for long-distance traffic, rather than inducing yet more suburban sprawl. The cities could easily accommodate the population growth of the next 50 years within their current built-up areas if they focused on smart land use and transportation policies. The way forward should be to maximize existing infrastructure through more intensive development, coupled with serious investment in urban and regional transit.

I sincerely hope that after these loops, there will not be another new-build freeway in the Triad in my lifetime.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:35 PM

16 posts, read 7,167 times
one things for sure, it will relieve congestion on NC 66 (old hollow), I used to deliver packages for Dhl in Walkertown and Rural Hall, and nc 66 still gets its share of bumper to bumper traffic today.

was even worse with the closing of business 40, as NC 66 ( ROUTE 66 ) "developed a cult following" as the MAIN road from kernersville to rural hall for those looking to avoid congested us-52.

NC 74 is already built from 421 Salem Parkway to 158. once it is built to nc 66, it will act as a nc 66 bypass.

Old 10-23-2020, 07:50 PM

16 posts, read 7,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_thomas View Post
It's time for the Triad to think beyond highways as the answer to mobility needs. With the completion of their respective loops, Greensboro and Winston will have freeway systems that are superior to much larger cities. These loops should be allowed to fulfill their intended purpose as bypasses for long-distance traffic, rather than inducing yet more suburban sprawl. The cities could easily accommodate the population growth of the next 50 years within their current built-up areas if they focused on smart land use and transportation policies. The way forward should be to maximize existing infrastructure through more intensive development, coupled with serious investment in urban and regional transit.

I sincerely hope that after these loops, there will not be another new-build freeway in the Triad in my lifetime.

they like to keep widening roads though, and possibly turning some of them into boulevards/freeways.

after the beltway is finished, the state is considering converting us-158 going northwards of winston to a 4 lane boulevard to stokesdale, with a possible Stokesdale Bypass freeway.

US -158 is looked at by the DOT as the Main thrufare from Winston Salem to Reidsville

and directly connects Winston's US 421/Salem Parkway with
Summerfield's US 220/Interstate 73

Old 12-22-2020, 03:07 PM

6,301 posts, read 4,470,166 times
The section between US-158 and US-311 near Walkertown will open tomorrow evening.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...ion-opens.aspx

Old 12-22-2020, 04:39 PM

3,594 posts, read 4,685,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
The section between US-158 and US-311 near Walkertown will open tomorrow evening.

https://www.ncdot.gov/news/press-rel...ion-opens.aspx
Onward to US 52 North!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point