U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2017, 02:02 PM

47 posts, read 411,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wsnc62 View Post
WorkinThruit:
Regardless of your situation, and overlooking snarky criticism here, Roadpony is right, Winston-Salem does have a lower cost of living compared to the larger metros in North Carolina. None of the North Carolina cities have full fledged mass transit. Winston-Salem has adequate bus service for a city it’s size, and based on its ridership. I happen to live in Charlotte, have worked in Raleigh since June, and have lived in Winston-Salem twice over the years, so I know for a fact that Winston-Salem is more an affordable place to live. It has everything you need to make a new start.

And Winston-Salem is not unsafe!

Positive vibes to you!
Thank you so much!
The move is going great so far.
Of all those places, which is your favorite? I’ll want to work and move up in incone and get a good apartment not with Section 8 eventually.
I know I’ll discover for myself, but I’m guessing Charlotte? Or by the ocean in Wilmington?
I have lots of hope.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2017, 01:13 AM

17 posts, read 37,972 times
Default Winton Salem Resident

I have lived in Winston Salem for 20 years. We have our share of crime, like any city. In general, it is a great place to live, very affordable. If you do not have a car, get one before moving here (if you do decide to) or very soon after. I would advise you to stay away from apartments or rentals in East Winston and some parts of the Southside of town. If you have a specific complex or neighborhood you are looking into I would be happy to give you my perspective on the area. We have some very nice income based communities that have been built within the past few years. I cannot recall the names but their is one on Clemmonsville Road (Orchard Creek I think). Another on Peters Creek Parkway in the 27127 zip code (run by the same company as Orchard Creek I think). You might want to give them a call. If you plan to drive, don't rule out Kernersville. It's a much smaller but growing town nestled between Winston, Greensboro, and High Point - easy access to all cities which will expand your employment opportunities. If you have kids, be sure to consider the schools in the area. If you are truly interested, there is a really nice apartment building that opened in downtown Winston. They reserve a certain number of 1BR units for income based occupancy. I believe they run around $750. I'll be happy to get the name but you can probably find it online. I believe it is affiliated with Goler Memorial Church or their non profit. You can look them up and give them a call for add'l info.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacynthias View Post
I have lived in Winston Salem for 20 years. We have our share of crime, like any city. In general, it is a great place to live, very affordable. If you do not have a car, get one before moving here (if you do decide to) or very soon after. I would advise you to stay away from apartments or rentals in East Winston and some parts of the Southside of town. If you have a specific complex or neighborhood you are looking into I would be happy to give you my perspective on the area. We have some very nice income based communities that have been built within the past few years. I cannot recall the names but their is one on Clemmonsville Road (Orchard Creek I think). Another on Peters Creek Parkway in the 27127 zip code (run by the same company as Orchard Creek I think). You might want to give them a call. If you plan to drive, don't rule out Kernersville. It's a much smaller but growing town nestled between Winston, Greensboro, and High Point - easy access to all cities which will expand your employment opportunities. If you have kids, be sure to consider the schools in the area. If you are truly interested, there is a really nice apartment building that opened in downtown Winston. They reserve a certain number of 1BR units for income based occupancy. I believe they run around $750. I'll be happy to get the name but you can probably find it online. I believe it is affiliated with Goler Memorial Church or their non profit. You can look them up and give them a call for add'l info.
Thank you very much for that detailed perspective of the area.
Sounds like a car might be paramount to safety. (?)
I am told it’s not so much about which area around W-S, mostly anyway, as it is about which side of the neighborhood. I am told there is a “north” and a “south” side to each area in and around the city, and I want to be careful to live in the better section of whatever area/town I end up in.

My section 8 voucher is mobile (portable), but if I can’t find an owner who will allow me to apply it to his private market rental, I may consider a “project-based” unit (this is where the voucher is already attached to and stats with the unit - it’s a separate program.

It is also possible that I may be able to get a part-time job quickly and make enough money along with my other income which doesn’t go very far up here, to actually afford a regular apartment without the voucher. Boy would that be nice. My goal is to get off Section 8.

I will certainly be joining a church too and getting a community around me so I’m safer and have places to participate it and offer my friendship.

Thanks again for more info on the neighborhoods.

Old 12-14-2017, 08:30 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,429,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinThruIt View Post
Thank you very much for that detailed perspective of the area.
Sounds like a car might be paramount to safety. (?)
Not really, its paramount to being able to efficiently get to work, shopping, church, etc.

Quote:
I am told itís not so much about which area around W-S, mostly anyway, as it is about which side of the neighborhood. I am told there is a ďnorthĒ and a ďsouthĒ side to each area in and around the city, and I want to be careful to live in the better section of whatever area/town I end up in.
Not really true. In general, the nicer, safer, more desirbale neighborhoods are in the west and northwest sections of the city.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
Not really, its paramount to being able to efficiently get to work, shopping, church, etc.

What about train/bus plus some Uber when necessary?
I donít have a car. I hope Iím not screwed!

Not really true. In general, the nicer, safer, more desirbale neighborhoods are in the west and northwest sections of the city.
Thank you. I will remember this.
But are there decent middle-class neighborhoods elsewhere?
I donít need to be in upscale family or retirement areas as a youngish 50s single women.

Old 12-14-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Thank you. I will remember this.
But are there decent middle-class neighborhoods elsewhere?
I donít need to be in upscale family or retirement areas as a youngish 50s single women.
Yes, some in the south and north parts of the city.

Old 12-14-2017, 01:07 PM

624 posts, read 384,666 times
Quote:
You donít know what someone elseís story is.
Please donít judge.
So how would a S8 voucher from MA work in NC exactly? I thought it would have to be within that state.

Old 12-15-2017, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Who has an attitude?

Ignorance begats ignorance.

Open your mind a little bit and stop being so judgmental and fearful. This is not 1862.
Keep digging, lol.

Old 02-27-2018, 05:54 PM

4 posts, read 2,866 times
Quote:
Iím a single, Caucasian 40s woman coming to Winston-Salem from MA.
Will I be safe?
Will I be out of place?

I have a Section 8 voucher and am concerned about what areas I may end up in.
I present well and have great credit, so maybe I can get accepted to a safe area.
I also wonít have a car.

I made my decision after watching a video of a man praising Winston Salem and by looking at other things about the downtown area, but now Iím pretty nervous after reading more online tbut got about crime there.

Any suggestions?
Well, Im from Winston born and raised. With the section 8 voucher be aware of area's on the east and south sides. Forget what you heard, Cleveland projects and Piedmont circle projects are NOT SAFE, at ALL. The Southside near Waughtown and Sprague has some suspect area's as well. Winston's housing projects are bad, high crime area's where you dont want to be. Then again, it's like that in any city.

You will need a car, period. Winston-Salem is a spread out, country city. It has a skyline, and is a good place to raise a family. Downtown Winston has a bus system, but it is not mass transit like you are used to. Overall good place.

Old 03-10-2018, 02:42 PM

240 posts, read 225,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberfx1024 View Post
So how would a S8 voucher from MA work in NC exactly? I thought it would have to be within that state.
It's a federal program. Growing up in Winston I had no clue that you could apply them to private residences. Most of the people in our neighborhoods who had them lived in poorly serviced apartments or "projects". As far as I can tell, that's still the case for many folks that I know in Winston. A good friend moved from Massachusetts to Greensboro and was on Section 8. He found a pretty nice spot in Greensboro and moved to south Florida with their voucher to an even nicer apartment. My younger sister was able to find better apartments in Walkertown/Kernersville that accept the vouchers, as well. It's all about location.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or