U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 05:31 PM

47 posts, read 411,055 times

Advertisements

I’m a single, Caucasian 40s woman coming to Winston-Salem from MA.
Will I be safe?
Will I be out of place?

I have a Section 8 voucher and am concerned about what areas I may end up in.
I present well and have great credit, so maybe I can get accepted to a safe area.
I also won’t have a car.

I made my decision after watching a video of a man praising Winston Salem and by looking at other things about the downtown area, but now I’m pretty nervous after reading more online tbut got about crime there.

Any suggestions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2017, 06:23 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times
I don't really understand your questions, frankly. Will you be safe? Yes, if you don't engage in risky behaviors (buying drugs, for example). W-S overall is a nice, safe, good place to live. Obviously, it has its rougher areas, just like anywhere.

Will you be out of place? I can't even begin to answer that...in what context are you asking?

Not having a car will be a major problem. W-S has a bus system, but there is no comprehensive mass transit like Boston, for example. It will be very difficult to get to work and shopping without a car.

It sounds as if you have never been to W-S? I would not advise anyone to move sight unseen.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:38 AM

I’ll have a section 8 voucher so my choices will be limited.
Being that I’m relocating and have few resources, I’ve got to start getting some idea where to start.
Just a few simple questions, that’s all.

I’m looking more into Raleigh/Durham now and am wondering if that’s a little safer in the lower price range.

Old 12-08-2017, 06:39 AM

BTW, the bus system looks decent.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:09 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,653,647 times
In general, the Raleigh/Durham area is more expensive than W-S. It's always risky to make generalizations, but I would think that you could get more for your money in W-S... e.g. a better neighborhood for $X in W-S than the same $ in Raleigh.

Unless you can provide specific neighborhood or apt complex names, it's impossible to tell you that you can find Section 8 housing in a safe area or not.

Just as in most any city, crime is somewhat localized in W-S. It doesn't do any city justice to judge it on overall crime rate.

I lived in W-S several different times over a period of many years. I grew up in Raleigh. I prefer W-S because it's not as crowded, traffic is better, it offers everything I would need in terms of activities, shopping, arts, dining, etc.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:25 AM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinThruIt View Post
I’m a single, Caucasian 40s woman coming to Winston-Salem from MA.
I made my decision after watching a video of a man praising Winston Salem
and by looking at other things about the downtown area...
Those are some pretty weak reasons to choose a place to move to.

Quote:
Any suggestions?
Don't move here (or anywhere else) without a job doing something that you do well.
Have a skill that is actually needed? Does it pay well enough to support you?

Quote:
I have a Section 8 voucher...
By yourself? I'll assume you also have a kid or other dependent.
With that in mind you need to have a GOOD solid job lined up before moving.

Single and younger can get away with 'living rough' on someones couch for a while.
With dependents (and a ton of crap to be moved) you can't expect to do that.

Regardless, don't expect that a MA S8 voucher will mean anything in NC.

Quote:
...am concerned about what areas I may end up in.
Start with the job offer you can line up in advance of moving.
Expect to live nearby or at least on a bus line: WS Transit – WS Transit

Old 12-08-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
In general, the Raleigh/Durham area is more expensive than W-S. It's always risky to make generalizations, but I would think that you could get more for your money in W-S... e.g. a better neighborhood for $X in W-S than the same $ in Raleigh.

Unless you can provide specific neighborhood or apt complex names, it's impossible to tell you that you can find Section 8 housing in a safe area or not.

Just as in most any city, crime is somewhat localized in W-S. It doesn't do any city justice to judge it on overall crime rate.

I lived in W-S several different times over a period of many years. I grew up in Raleigh. I prefer W-S because it's not as crowded, traffic is better, it offers everything I would need in terms of activities, shopping, arts, dining, etc.
That is the best, clearest answer I have received yet.
Thank you very much.
I feel much more secure in my decision today which is Winston-Salem.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Those are some pretty weak reasons to choose a place to move to.

Don't move here (or anywhere else) without a job doing something that you do well.
Have a skill that is actually needed? Does it pay well enough to support you?

By yourself? I'll assume you also have a kid or other dependent.
With that in mind you need to have a GOOD solid job lined up before moving.

Single and younger can get away with 'living rough' on someones couch for a while.
With dependents (and a ton of crap to be moved) you can't expect to do that.

Regardless, don't expect that a MA S8 voucher will mean anything in NC.

Start with the job offer you can line up in advance of moving.
Expect to live nearby or at least on a bus line: WS Transit Ė WS Transit
You donít know what someone elseís story is.
Please donít judge.

Old 12-08-2017, 10:57 AM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WorkinThruIt View Post
You don’t know what someone else’s story is.
Please don’t judge.
That's not judging anything. Just reality.
If you need it sugarcoated... well, good luck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrnoR9cBP3o

Old 12-09-2017, 01:22 PM

302 posts, read 536,664 times
WorkinThruit:
Regardless of your situation, and overlooking snarky criticism here, Roadpony is right, Winston-Salem does have a lower cost of living compared to the larger metros in North Carolina. None of the North Carolina cities have full fledged mass transit. Winston-Salem has adequate bus service for a city it’s size, and based on its ridership. I happen to live in Charlotte, have worked in Raleigh since June, and have lived in Winston-Salem twice over the years, so I know for a fact that Winston-Salem is more an affordable place to live. It has everything you need to make a new start.

And Winston-Salem is not unsafe!

Positive vibes to you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or