U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 07:37 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,084,360 times

Advertisements

I think we may have done this several years ago, but there have been a lot of changes in the restaurant scene so perhaps it's a good time to do another. Would love to hear about great restaurants in the Triad and surrounding area, especially the lesser-known or out-of-the-way places that most may not know about.
Fancy or not, any type of food, any budget is fair game.

I recently went to Bistro B in Kernersville. It is hidden away in a small alley way in downtown K'ville, and I had never heard of it before a friend suggested it. It is a tapas style restaurant, so be warned that it can get expensive. But as far as tapas places go, I think the prices are very reasonable, and the food is excellent. Definitely worth it for a special night out, or if you just like good food prepared well.

Also recently went to Southern Roots in Jamestown for the first time, and I was very impressed with the food. It is rather noisy (at least is was the night I was there), but other than that it was a great dining experience. I had the seafood risotto, and it was awesome.

I also have to put in a plug for one of my favorite places--Diamondback Grill in Winston-Salem. It is tucked away in a small neighborhood off Robinhood Road, so unless someone recommended it you might never know about it. The food is consistently very good, and I just love the neighborhood feel, especially on the bar side.

Whatcha got for us?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2017, 08:03 AM

939 posts, read 503,483 times
Anytime im in Gboro visiting family we go to Dame's Chicken & Waffles. Love that place. Even though there's the new one in Cary and obviously the original in Durham i still enjoy the atmosphere of eating downtown Gboro.

Old 12-13-2017, 06:45 PM

421 posts, read 293,370 times
I love these kinds of threads. Having lived here about a year and a half, we're starting to get the lay of the land. But I still don't know about all of the best spots. I like Southern Roots, but you're right in that it is quite noisy. The food is good though. My favorites since moving here though are....

Crafted (either one): Art of the Taco has really good tacos with some real variety in choices. Art of the Street Food has a VERY good Nashville Hot Chicken Sandwich and some solid poutine (gravy fries with cheese curds... last time I went they had some sausage mixed in there as well).

Full Moon Oyster Bar: Moving from the beach area, good seafood is a must. This place is a dive, but the seafood is actually quite good for being four or five hours inland.

Chef Samir: Egyptian food and it's delicious. It can be a little on the pricey side though.

Hop's Burger Bar: Great burgers. Great beer list. As for burgers, Burger Warfare and Big Burger Spot are solid honorable mentions as well.

Cugino Forno: Some of the best pizza I've had straight from a wood burning oven. Apparently they have gelato imported from Italy but I didn't have it when I went.

We also went to Hutch and Harris a while back for brunch and it was very good and had a reasonable variety. Not to mention if I recall correctly, the beer list looked good (but this was back when the no alcohol before noon on Sunday law was in effect so I could not partake). I wouldn't call it a favorite since I've only been once.. a while ago. But it was very good. I still need to hit up Dame's Chicken and Waffles.

Old 12-15-2017, 07:28 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,084,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post

Chef Samir: Egyptian food and it's delicious. It can be a little on the pricey side though.

Love Samir, although I've only been there twice. Nice to have such a unique dining option in the Triad.

I frequently go to Full Moon in Clemmons, and you're right, the seafood there is excellent. I am also happy that they will soon be brewing their own beer there. I think they're doing the same at the Jamestown location.

Old 12-15-2017, 03:02 PM

Hops is another huge one for me. Quite possibly my favorite burger shot in all of NC. And that's saying alot because i love Bad Daddys and Chuck's in Raleigh. I thought i saw a food list not that long ago that ranked Hops as the best or one of the best burger restuarants in the US.

Old 12-15-2017, 05:56 PM

421 posts, read 293,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Hops is another huge one for me. Quite possibly my favorite burger shot in all of NC. And that's saying alot because i love Bad Daddys and Chuck's in Raleigh. I thought i saw a food list not that long ago that ranked Hops as the best or one of the best burger restuarants in the US.
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...in-nation.html

Yep. And it's a darn good burger. Another one of these "polls" put Hops at #17 and Big Burger Spot right at #50. I'll have to check out Bad Daddy's in Winston Salem though. Also, I've heard good things about Porterhouse. Pretty much always open to finding a great burger.

Old 12-15-2017, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...in-nation.html

Yep. And it's a darn good burger. Another one of these "polls" put Hops at #17 and Big Burger Spot right at #50. I'll have to check out Bad Daddy's in Winston Salem though. Also, I've heard good things about Porterhouse. Pretty much always open to finding a great burger.
There it is thanks for finding that. They are opening another Hops in Chapel Hill so fortunately, just like Dameís, I will have a closer option if Iím craving it bad enough lol.

Old 12-19-2017, 08:43 AM

65 posts, read 48,463 times
What's funny-- and to my mind likable-- about this thread is that thus far no one has suggested any of the supposedly upscale, white table cloth restaurants that guidebooks frequently claim are the "best" restaurants in any town.
Having said that, no doubt someone will now post an offering for Chateau Le Boeuf Sur le Toit or some such. But I doubt it.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:08 AM

5,754 posts, read 4,228,195 times
The Village Tavern is always a favorite of mine. Whether if you're having a fancy seafood dish or a burger, their food is always good and usually have pretty good drink specials as well. I've been wanting to try out HOPs. Mac's Speed Shop does some amazing smoked chicken wings. They also have a bunch of draft specials as well.

Old 12-19-2017, 11:28 AM

3,863 posts, read 6,656,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
The Village Tavern is always a favorite of mine. Whether if you're having a fancy seafood dish or a burger, their food is always good and usually have pretty good drink specials as well.
Mine too, but not just for the food. My husband and I had our first date at the original Village Tavern in Reynolda Village in early 1987.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point