Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2017, 03:27 PM

96 posts, read 133,776 times

Advertisements

Well, this "half-backer" is still searching!

After doing extensive online research and visiting several areas, we've eliminated some places and want to check out some closer.

We've found that we really like mountain views. Unfortunately, Asheville and Hendersonville seem out of our price range ( up to 325,000, give or take) for what we are looking for. Mt. Airy was charming, but not for us to live in. Too hilly - so no bike riding for me since I'm a bit too old and out of shape for the olympics. Bit, the downtown was really enjoyable and the people were friendly and very helpful.

Clemmons, Lewisville, High Point and W/S all had positives, but not "just right" for us. We visited Kernersville twice. Interesting and seems affordable. Doing research it seems that summer temps are in the upper 80's and drop to the high 60's at night. Is this correct?

Any insight from anyone on this forum?

We'll be back in NC in January and will check out Kernersville again and also possibly Hickory _ the wife sure loves those mountain views!
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2017, 03:48 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,565,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGCTFL View Post
Doing research it seems that summer temps are in the upper 80's and drop to the high 60's at night.
Is this correct?
Sure; there are days like that.

Quote:
Any insight from anyone on this forum?
What else (aside from a house) are you looking for?

Old 12-16-2017, 05:01 PM

We're looking for a sense of community. A downtown area that is a hub of daily life seems like it would fit our needs. Being close to amenities and an airport are also important. These last two items are present in Kernersville, I know.
We'd also like an area with "natural interest": rivers, lakes or streams, etc. We'd like a view of them if not actually being adjacent to them.

Our main issues with Jax are the intense, long periods of heat and the heavy traffic. Yet, Jax has many really good points: Music, theatre, arts, the ocean, a great zoo, a museum and close to a good airport.

Old 12-17-2017, 04:19 AM

410 posts, read 338,339 times
[quote=BGCTFL;50419707]We're looking for a sense of community. A downtown area that is a hub of daily life seems like it would fit our needs. Being close to amenities and an airport are also important. These last two items are present in Kernersville, I know.
We'd also like an area with "natural interest": rivers, lakes or streams, etc. We'd like a view of them if not actually being adjacent to them.

Choosing Kernersville puts you in between two major cities, Winston-Salem and Greensboro, both of which have vibrant and active downtowns. The airport is located in Greensboro, but you can expect to pay 4x the cost for a flight going anywhere if you leave from this airport, in comparison to Raleigh or Charlotte.

As for summer weather, you will find that we have many days of 85+ degrees, beginning as early as late May and lasting into late September/early October. Last year seemed particularly hot to me, with many days well into the 90s. The humidity is what really gets most people around here, but coming from FL, you should be used to that.

60 degrees in the evening, during summer? Maybe once. You can expect temps to remain in the 70s, if not 80s, during summer evenings.

Best of luck to you!

Old 12-17-2017, 01:32 PM

26,909 posts, read 43,417,198 times
Quote:
We're looking for a sense of community. A downtown area that is a hub of daily life seems like it would fit our needs. Being close to amenities and an airport are also important. These last two items are present in Kernersville, I know.

Our main issues with Jax are the intense, long periods of heat and the heavy traffic. Yet, Jax has many really good points: Music, theatre, arts, the ocean, a great zoo, a museum and close to a good airport.
Have you considered cities like Hickory or Statesville? Maybe a bit under your population desires but they both have the climate I think you're more after and enough to keep you busy, plus decent proximity to Charlotte (45 minutes to an hour).

Old 12-18-2017, 06:36 AM

Looks like Kernersville has the same summer temps as Jax, perhaps a bit less and for not as long a period of time. Some of the weather charts I've checked seem to be off a bit, especially with the evening temps dropping into the 60's.

Thanks for the heads up re. air fares from Greensboro, Java.

Kyle, We're actually planning to swing by Hickory in a few weeks. The population number is fine - we're originally from a CT town of 53k.

Reading the various forums can be both helpful and misleading. Nothing substitutes for first hand knowledge, but input from folks that have experience and no ax to grind is very helpful.

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2017, 08:48 AM

120 posts, read 127,931 times
This site can be used to compare the climate for areas you are considering Comparison

Quote:
Looks like Kernersville has the same summer temps as Jax, perhaps a bit less and for not as long a period of time.

Old 12-18-2017, 11:42 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,616,932 times
[quote=JoesJava;50422397]
Quote:

Choosing Kernersville puts you in between two major cities, Winston-Salem and Greensboro, both of which have vibrant and active downtowns. The airport is located in Greensboro, but you can expect to pay 4x the cost for a flight going anywhere if you leave from this airport, in comparison to Raleigh or Charlotte.

As for summer weather, you will find that we have many days of 85+ degrees, beginning as early as late May and lasting into late September/early October. Last year seemed particularly hot to me, with many days well into the 90s. The humidity is what really gets most people around here, but coming from FL, you should be used to that.

60 degrees in the evening, during summer? Maybe once. You can expect temps to remain in the 70s, if not 80s, during summer evenings.

Best of luck to you!
Not to nit-pick (but I will lol)...living in northern Davidson County, I always price flights out of CLT, RDU, and GSO/PTI. About 1/3 of the time, it is less expensive to fly out of GSO...for example, GSO->CLT->final destination has fairly often been less than CLT->final destination. I've never anywhere near the 4x premium, but I'd say on average it might be 50% more to fly out of Greensboro. I love flying out of Greensboro...it's always a matter of price (and the premium, if any, of flying out of GSO/PTI). We'd fly out locally more often if there were more nonstop flights.

Also, the hottest average high temperature for Kernersville is 87, and the warmest average low temperature us 70. Of course, those are averages and doesn't take into account humidity - which, as you mentioned, will likely be a welcome relief for OP.

Old 12-18-2017, 01:33 PM

71 posts, read 95,166 times
If you're interested in the Triad area, also give Jamestown a try. There is a small downtown with a couple restaurants, brick sidewalks on which bike riding is allowed, access to a greenway, and many opportunities within the community to stay active (churches, the YMCA, etc.). The Greensboro airport is 15 mins. away, tops.

Old 12-18-2017, 02:11 PM

511 posts, read 504,695 times
I grew up in Kernersville but live in Greensboro now. I like Kernersville. Really close to the airport and it's a breeze to fly out of. No way it is 4x as much. emelvee straightened that out. But even if it is slightly more, it's worth it to not have to drive to Charlotte or Raleigh and wait longer to go through security, and keep your car parked there at a higher daily rate.

No rivers or streams, but close to some lakes and other natural beauty. And yeah, it gets hot in the summer, but Kernersville has all four seasons so that might be nice coming from Florida.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point