U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 02:27 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,447,386 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
What about it? RDU doesnt throw Chapel Hill or Cary in the title. Imo its fine having the two dominant cities make up the name as those two cities are likely the main places people are going to when they fly in. Or out.
High Point would scream bloody murder...and their representatives on the airport board would never let it happen.

The HP Furniture Market brings in tens of thousands of people, twice a year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 03:00 PM

3,816 posts, read 3,311,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
High Point would scream bloody murder...and their representatives on the airport board would never let it happen.

The HP Furniture Market brings in tens of thousands of people, twice a year.

Not to be annoying, but do people in North Carolina outside of the Triad even know what a High Point is?

Concord seems just fine having their speedway named “Charlotte Motor Speedway.” High Point should sit back and enjoy riding off the coattails of GSO/Winston like any other ‘burb. If High Point officials would scream bloody murder over not having the airport named after it, then they should be replaced as reps. As they surely are working against the interest of High Point by not choosing the superior name recognition of Winston & Greensboro over “Triad” or “Central NC.” Imagine If every city named their airports after the principle cities and their version of “high point.”

Just my honest 2˘ as an outsider.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:08 PM

28,502 posts, read 62,199,370 times
Quote:
Face it, outside of NC hardly anyone knows what the Piedmont Triad is.
That branding effort has been a big nothing burger.
When Piedmont Airlines folded into American...

Old 12-20-2017, 09:13 PM

421 posts, read 294,465 times
Quote:
Sounds like the powers that be are moving away from the Piedmont Triad name for external marketing. Makes sense, after decades it still has virtually no name recognition.

I'm sure many of us will still use it locally to refer to the area.
IF this is the goal, then the renaming makes more sense (I hadn't heard this until now). I know Hampton Roads has been trying to do the same thing (trying to brand themselves as Coastal Virginia). It isn't working there as they have been trying for a decade now and the moniker still hasn't caught on.

Greensboro/Winston-Salem International Airport. Has a good ring to it and it identifies where it is. Sure, High Point officials may be upset. Tough tacos. Build your own airport if you want the credit so bad. As Charlotte says above, Raleigh and (to a lesser extent) Durham carry the Triangle. Chapel Hill and Cary don't get upset when they aren't included in the names of things like that. They just ride the benefit. That's what High Point should do.

Old 12-20-2017, 11:16 PM

4,593 posts, read 4,407,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
IF this is the goal, then the renaming makes more sense (I hadn't heard this until now). I know Hampton Roads has been trying to do the same thing (trying to brand themselves as Coastal Virginia). It isn't working there as they have been trying for a decade now and the moniker still hasn't caught on.

Greensboro/Winston-Salem International Airport. Has a good ring to it and it identifies where it is. Sure, High Point officials may be upset. Tough tacos. Build your own airport if you want the credit so bad. As Charlotte says above, Raleigh and (to a lesser extent) Durham carry the Triangle. Chapel Hill and Cary don't get upset when they aren't included in the names of things like that. They just ride the benefit. That's what High Point should do.
It would certainly make Winston-Salem happy because their name would be attached to the airport too. Greensboro has always benefitted having the airport in its city but Winston-Salem's name on it too would be good marketing for them as well.

Central North Carolina could mean anywhere and doesn't identify with the Triad cities. Quite frankly it belittles Greensboro and Winston-Salem

Old 12-21-2017, 06:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Not to be annoying, but do people in North Carolina outside of the Triad even know what a High Point is?

Concord seems just fine having their speedway named “Charlotte Motor Speedway.” High Point should sit back and enjoy riding off the coattails of GSO/Winston like any other ‘burb. If High Point officials would scream bloody murder over not having the airport named after it, then they should be replaced as reps. As they surely are working against the interest of High Point by not choosing the superior name recognition of Winston & Greensboro over “Triad” or “Central NC.” Imagine If every city named their airports after the principle cities and their version of “high point.”

Just my honest 2˘ as an outsider.
And my 4 cents as an insider is that HP has a seat at the table of the "Triad" and can't be ignored, politically. I'm neither defending that, nor advocating for that, I'm just pointing out the reality of it.

Old 12-21-2017, 06:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
When Piedmont Airlines folded into American...
Not sure what your point is, or even what you're saying. Piedmont merged with USAir, not American...

Old 12-21-2017, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post

Again, that sounds great, but political realities intrude.

And actually, I think a case could be made that High Point has more individual name recognition that G'boro or W-S, due to the furniture industry and the furniture market. Greensboro especially has very little name recognition outside NC.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:24 AM

3,816 posts, read 3,311,734 times
Quote:

And actually, I think a case could be made that High Point has more individual name recognition that G'boro or W-S, due to the furniture industry and the furniture market. Greensboro especially has very little name recognition outside NC.

Everyone in NC knows Greensboro. I’m doubtful every North Carolinian knows High Point. Maybe vaguely has heard of it. I honestly haven’t even heard of high point until a couple years ago. And I’ve been in NC for 25 years. I always knew Greensboro & Winston.

I also think Greensboro has outsized name brand due to the college sports and other sporting events it usually hosts.

While it’s my opinion that Greensboro has pretty strong name power relative to size, it’s not opinion Greensboro is more well known than high point. I don’t have any proof, links or data. But this is one of those things you have to be completely delusional to doubt.

The only time I ever heard of a furniture mart in High Point was when people got their panties twisted over HB2 and finally someone was there to share the pain with CLT. Hickory always comes to my mind when I think of furniture. I’m not knocking HighPoint. I don’t know anything about it to knock it.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:31 AM

944 posts, read 506,815 times
Quote:

Now thats a hot take.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point