U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 08:39 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,426,379 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Everyone in NC knows Greensboro. Iím doubtful every North Carolinian knows High Point. Maybe vaguely has heard of it. I honestly havenít even heard of high point until a couple years ago. And Iíve been in NC for 25 years. I always knew Greensboro & Winston.

I also think Greensboro has outsized name brand due to the college sports and other sporting events it usually hosts.

While itís my opinion that Greensboro has pretty strong name power relative to size, itís not opinion Greensboro is more well known than high point. I donít have any proof, links or data. But this is one of those things you have to be completely delusional to doubt.

The only time I ever heard of a furniture mart in High Point was when people got their panties twisted over HB2 and finally someone was there to share the pain with CLT. Hickory always comes to my mind when I think of furniture. Iím not knocking HighPoint. I donít know anything about it to knock it.
I'm not talking about inside NC.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 08:48 AM

939 posts, read 502,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I'm not talking about inside NC.
The Greensboro Sit-Ins alone give Gboro more recognition then High Point could ever hope to gain in the next 100 years. The exit signs for Winston-Salem coming down I-77 alone make WS more recognizable then High Point would be in the next 50 years lol. Not even needing to mention Wake Forest.

Last edited by Trent Y; 12-21-2017 at 09:01 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
The Greensboro Sit-Ins alone give Gboro more recognition then High Point could ever hope to gain in the next 100 years. The exit signs for Winston-Salem coming down I-77 alone make WS more recognizable then High Point would be in the next 50 years lol. Not evening needing to mention Wake Forest.
<Shrug> We'll have to agree to disagree. I have met many people around the country who have no knowledge of G'boro, but know about furniture in HP.

Plus there's the whole Greenville/Greensboro/NC/SC thing that creates more confusion.

Signs on I-77? So? HP has signs on I-85. What does that have to do with anything? Amtrak goes through HP but not W-S, so there! lol

Old 12-21-2017, 09:16 AM

Quote:
<Shrug> We'll have to agree to disagree. I have met many people around the country who have no knowledge of G'boro, but know about furniture in HP.

Plus there's the whole Greenville/Greensboro/NC/SC thing that creates more confusion.

Signs on I-77? So? HP has signs on I-85. What does that have to do with anything? Amtrak goes through HP but not W-S, so there! lol
Ok forget the signs, more importantly the skyline you go past after you take one of those exit signs lol.

And the furniture thing is important but propbably overstated. I can tell you for almost a fact that my whole home state of Michigan doesnt know anything about High Point for furntiture because Grand Rapids throughout history was the "furniture city of america." Idk when HP took that over but i know it was a surprise to my family and I as we drove through HP for the first time a couple years ago.

But anyways, interesting opinion.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Ok forget the signs, more importantly the skyline you go past after you take one of those exit signs lol.

And the furniture thing is important but propbably overstated. I can tell you for almost a fact that my whole home state of Michigan doesnt know anything about High Point for furntiture because Grand Rapids throughout history was the "furniture city of america." Idk when HP took that over but i know it was a surprise to my family and I as we drove through HP for the first time a couple years ago.

But anyways, interesting opinion.
What percentage of the US population has seen, and remembers, the W-S skyline? I'd wager not very many.

You might interested to know the HP Furniture Market is the largest trade show in the country, and attracts 70-80,000 people to the city twice a year. It consists of 10,000,000 sf of exhibition space. It was first held in 1909. In other words, its a very big deal, and it has spread knowledge of High Point all around the US, and the world.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:51 AM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
You might interested to know...
The sort of parochial defensiveness over arbitrary lines on a map you're obsessing over
(lines that NO ONE more than a few miles from those lines even know exist)
is just the sort of squabbling that has consistently kept the Triad as whole from growing.

Central = geographical.
That's far superior to a geological term
...let alone the romanticism of memories associated with the former term.

Again, we don't need signs or names at all for those who live here.
Signs and names are for people who DON'T know the place.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:53 AM

Quote:
What percentage of the US population has seen, and remembers, the W-S skyline? I'd wager not very many.

You might interested to know the HP Furniture Market is the largest trade show in the country, and attracts 70-80,000 people to the city twice a year. It consists of 10,000,000 sf of exhibition space. It was first held in 1909. In other words, its a very big deal, and it has spread knowledge of High Point all around the US, and the world.
A infinite amount more then High Point's! Lol.

And yeah i know that about the trade show. So twice a year for a trade show, there might be roughly the same amount of people in HP as live in Winston year round. Not including visitors as well. Some statistic there man oh man.

Look im not trying to discredit HPs furntiture industry and its importance to it. But to say that makes it equal to Winston and Greensboro in terms of recognition is just silly. I get it helped your argument about the naming of the airport but i think even you know that it just simply isnt the case. I mean cmon, you remember when Maya Angelou passed? What about Krispy Kreme? The banks in Winston...yeah we'll have to agree to disagree.

Old 12-21-2017, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The sort of parochial defensiveness over arbitrary lines on a map you're obsessing over
(lines that NO ONE more than a few miles from those lines even know exist)
is just the sort of squabbling that has consistently kept the Triad as whole from growing.

Central = geographical.
That's far superior to a geological term
...let alone the romanticism of memories associated with the former term.

Again, we don't need signs or names at all for those who live here.
Signs and names are for people who DON'T know the place.
I'm not obsessing or squabbling over anything. And I'm not sure why you're addressing me...I'm the one (only one maybe) in this discussion with something positive to say about the new name.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
A infinite amount more then High Point's! Lol.

And yeah i know that about the trade show. So twice a year for a trade show, there might be roughly the same amount of people in HP as live in Winston year round. Not including visitors as well. Some statistic there man oh man.

Look im not trying to discredit HPs furntiture industry and its importance to it. But to say that makes it equal to Winston and Greensboro in terms of recognition is just silly. I get it helped your argument about the naming of the airport but i think even you know that it just simply isnt the case. I mean cmon, you remember when Maya Angelou passed? What about Krispy Kreme? The banks in Winston...yeah we'll have to agree to disagree.
The point, there are tens of thousands of people who visit high point each year for the market, plus many thousands more go there to buy furniture. To discount that as a force for providing name recognition for HP around the country is whats silly.

I'm sure lots of people like Krispy Kreme, but I bet very few of them know the headquarters are in W-S. Sure, Maya Angelou had some level of fame, but its not like people immediately thought of W-S when they heard her name.

The reality is, none of the 3 cities have much nationwide name recognition, but I'm willing to bet HP's isn't far behind the other 2, if not ahead of them.

Old 12-21-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
The point, there are tens of thousands of people who visit high point each year for the market, plus many thousands more go there to buy furniture. To discount that as a force for providing name recognition for HP around the country is whats silly.

I'm sure lots of people like Krispy Kreme, but I bet very few of them know the headquarters are in W-S. Sure, Maya Angelou had some level of fame, but its not like people immediately thought of W-S when they heard her name.

The reality is, none of the 3 cities have much nationwide name recognition, but I'm willing to bet HP's isn't far behind the other 2, if not ahead of them.
And thats a fair point. Im not saying HP doesnt have name recognition. But to argue its enough that it needs its name on the airport with Greensboro and WS sounds like a stupid opinion coming from a smart guy. You're telling me almost the same amount of people or more are buying plane tickets to fly into High Point as Greensboro or Winston Salem. That some will google "High Point flights" and be like "GSO? Where is that?"....the point is....ANY recognition High Point has would also be an acknowledgement to Winston Salem and even more so to Greensboro. HP is a part of the Greensboro MSA for crying out loud.

Every piece of furniture have High Point stamped on them? Nope. Every box of Krispy Kreme has WS on it. Very likely from the huge population that knows about Krispy Kreme, even a small percentage that knows where they're located dwarfs HPs furntiture relevance. The 10million NC residence should at least know that. To say Maya Angelou had "some level of fame" is MASSIVELY undercutting her. May be its out of touch for you simply out of interest but she was a generational icon. No doubt thousands new exactly where she came from and millions were put on notice when she passed and it was broadcasted on just about every station imaginable. Wake Forest is a a very well known university in its own right but man did they and WS itself enjoy some exposure being headlined everywhere.

Ill give you the none of the Triad cities have anything about them that comes to mind right away when you hear the name, but imo both locally and nationally, Gboro WS name airport gives the proper recognition to the area better then anything else. Obviously thats up for debate because its not being named that lol.

Edit* and i dont mean Maya Angelou being from WS as in born in WS but rather it being her "home"

Last edited by Trent Y; 12-21-2017 at 11:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point