U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2017, 11:17 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,692 times

Advertisements

You can eat delicious donuts but ever try to eat your dining room table? I think that settles that argument.

Just trying to lighten it up
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2017, 11:24 AM

943 posts, read 505,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
You can eat delicious donuts but ever try to eat your dining room table? I think that settles that argument.

Just trying to lighten it up
Hahaha right! You'll be like hot dang im so happy High Point produced my cherry wood table! Lol that was pretty good

Last edited by Trent Y; 12-21-2017 at 11:53 AM..

Old 12-21-2017, 11:34 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,440,860 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
And thats a fair point. Im not saying HP doesnt have name recognition. But to argue its enough that it needs its name on the airport with Greensboro and WS sounds like a stupid opinion coming from a smart guy. You're telling me almost the same amount of people or more are buying plane tickets to fly into High Point as Greensboro or Winston Salem. That some will google "High Point flights" and be like "GSO? Where is that?"....the point is....ANY recognition High Point has would also be an acknowledgement to Winston Salem and even more so to Greensboro. HP is a part of the Greensboro MSA for crying out loud.
I *never* said that. Please stop making things up, misinterpreting my statements and attributing things to me that I haven't said. I merely gave my opinion that HP has roughly the same, if not more, name recognition as the other 2 Triad cities. And I gave factual reasons for it. Its not an open and shut case that G'boro and W-S have much more name recognition.

Old 12-21-2017, 11:52 AM

943 posts, read 505,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I *never* said that. Please stop making things up, misinterpreting my statements and attributing things to me that I haven't said. I merely gave my opinion that HP has roughly the same, if not more, name recognition as the other 2 Triad cities. And I gave factual reasons for it. Its not an open and shut case that G'boro and W-S have much more name recognition.
Okay

Old 12-21-2017, 04:29 PM

3,813 posts, read 3,307,478 times
Quote:
What percentage of the US population has seen, and remembers, the W-S skyline? I'd wager not very many.

You might interested to know the HP Furniture Market is the largest trade show in the country, and attracts 70-80,000 people to the city twice a year. It consists of 10,000,000 sf of exhibition space. It was first held in 1909. In other words, its a very big deal, and it has spread knowledge of High Point all around the US, and the world.
So it attracts about the same amount of people as a Panthers game or 50,000 less than the gay pride weekend in CLT?

To move back to what the airport was actually named. I’m curious how they will use their new branding. Colors, slogans, etc. that could potentially make this more palatable

Last edited by Charlotte485; 12-21-2017 at 04:50 PM..

Old 12-21-2017, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
So it attracts about the same amount of people as a Panthers game or 50,000 less than the gay pride weekend in CLT?
Hilarious. Except the furniture market attendees come from all over the US and 100 foreign countries. And Panthers fans come from 5 counties. But yeah, its the exact same.

Old 12-21-2017, 08:54 PM

421 posts, read 293,955 times
Quote:
What percentage of the US population has seen, and remembers, the W-S skyline? I'd wager not very many.

You might interested to know the HP Furniture Market is the largest trade show in the country, and attracts 70-80,000 people to the city twice a year. It consists of 10,000,000 sf of exhibition space. It was first held in 1909. In other words, its a very big deal, and it has spread knowledge of High Point all around the US, and the world.
For what it's worth, I don't disagree with you about political realities.

As for name recognition though, High Point is well known in a certain niche (furniture). Outside of that though, High Point is generally not very well known.

Winston-Salem is well known for Wake Forest and being a city of moderate population. And while those who drive by may not be able to remember the W-S skyline in such a way to be able to identify it in a set of pictures... those that drive by will generally remember driving by the skyline (especially given that it's actually a pretty impressive skyline for a city its size from that direction).

As far as Greensboro, it's well known from a sports perspective. The ACC is HQd there. Greensboro hosts ACC Tournaments and NCAA Tournaments. Like Winston-Salem, it has a moderate population size as well.

That's not to say a common joe from South Dakota will be able to ID where Winston-Salem or Greensboro on a map. But the two cities have far more name recognition for the average person than does High Point. But depending on what you're in to, I'm sure there are some who know High Point and not the other two as well.

Old 12-22-2017, 03:32 AM

28,497 posts, read 62,167,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
That's not to say a common joe from South Dakota will be able to ID where Winston-Salem or Greensboro are on a map.
Immaterial as the same is likely true for Raleigh or Richmond VA or Modesto CA for that matter.

The questions are about what they'll do when they have some reason or need to know ...
and how to relate where they are in comparison to other places: CENTRAL.

Quote:
I'm sure there are some who know High Point and not the other two as well.
In my early thirties I dated a woman with a relative in the furniture business. She told me about
once being taken to the market with them. It was the first time I'd even heard of HP.

Quote:
And while those who drive by may not be able to remember the W-S skyline in such a way to be able to identify it in a set of pictures...
those that drive by will generally remember driving by the skyline...
And if they were on Business 40 when they drove by.
From I-40 (where most of those that drive by are) it won't be seen hardly at all.
Attached Thumbnails
PTI Airport to be renamed....-ws-highwayevening.png  

Old 12-22-2017, 03:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I'm also not sure how Charlotte's well attended gay pride weekend brings national name recognition to Greensboro or Winston-Salem.

Old 12-22-2017, 06:40 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,692 times
I (kind of) hate to beat a dead horse...I suspect Winston-Salem has a good amount of name recognition nationally, among smokers (or former smokers).

I've spent about 1/2 of my life in the western part of the country. I remember neighbors moving to Charlotte...I didn't even know whether Charlotte was in NC or SC. When I moved from Oregon to Greenville, NC, my boss in OR said he had an uncle that lived there. Turns out the uncle lived in Greensboro. As has been mentioned, High Point is well known internationally among a limited circle (furniture industry).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point