U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 08:21 AM

4,579 posts, read 4,393,634 times

Advertisements

The Triad has a deep history of not working together, particularly Greensboro and Winston-Salem. Instead they compete against one another. Just recently the Mayor of Greensboro, Nancy Vaughn stated at a city council meeting that one of the cities we are competing with is Winston-Salem. You just don't hear that kind of talk in the Triangle. When I-73 was first planned it was suppose to route through Winston-Salem and High Point bypassing Greensboro all together. Some politicians in Greensboro didnt like that so they lobbied for it to go through Greensboro instead of Winston-Salem and High Point and they won. Eventually I-74 was proposed and Winston-Salem and High Point got I-74. But thats just one example of the deep divisions and thats also reflected on the forums. Many of the Winston-Salem posters can't stand Greensboro or anyone who champions for it on the boards. There really is no Triad forum because if you notice you rarely see contributions from Winston-Salem posters in "Triad" Forums. They only post on Winston-Salem websites. So yes there is much work to be done in unifying the Triad and until that happens, the region will never reach its full potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 09:01 AM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
The sort of parochial defensiveness over arbitrary lines on a map you're obsessing over
(lines that NO ONE more than a few miles from those lines even know exist)
is just the sort of squabbling that has consistently kept the Triad as whole from growing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncchgrad View Post
This kind of silly debate would never happen in the Triangle.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
The Triad has a deep history of not working together, particularly Greensboro and Winston-Salem.
Instead they compete against one another.
Read up why Smith Reynolds wasn't able to expand to a large facility
even when Piedmont was here.

Old 12-23-2017, 09:14 AM

Its a subscription article but opposition to the new name is mounting and people want to ground the name before it takes off.

Airport name change spurs protest petition | News | hpenews.com

An online poll on this news link shows that the majority of people think the new name is worse than PTI

http://www.independenttribune.com/th...284a0c437.html

Its clear that no one likes this new name. When I read the forums I'm seeing the same thing. Most prefer Greensboro/Winston-Salem International Airport.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-23-2017 at 09:23 AM..

Old 12-23-2017, 10:10 AM

431 posts, read 494,777 times
There's also a change.org petition to keep the airport name as is. I'm not linking to it here due to concerns it might violate the terms of City-Data, but it's there and it's taking off pretty quickly. Saw 10 names sign up just when I looked at it for a minute. Obviously, the new name is not going down well.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:10 AM

28,484 posts, read 62,084,629 times
Quote:
Its clear that no one likes...
In diplomacy, which this largely is, that usually means the delegates succeeded.

Old 12-23-2017, 10:23 AM

4,604 posts, read 3,017,836 times
Quote:
Its a subscription article but opposition to the new name is mounting and people want to ground the name before it takes off.

Airport name change spurs protest petition | News | hpenews.com
For those who can't see the article:

Quote:
Business owner and air traveler Nicky Smith wants to ground the new name proposed for the regionís airport before it takes off any further.

Smith, who runs a digital phone service company out of Greensboro, launched an online petition Wednesday night to convince airport leaders to reconsider their decision. On Tuesday, airport officials announced the name of the airport would change from Piedmont Triad International Airport, which it has been for the past 30 years, to Central North Carolina International Airport.

As of early Friday evening, Smithís online petition through the website www.change.org had gathered nearly 850 electronic signatures. Smith said his goal is to garner at least 10,000 names on the protest petition.

ďSomeone didnít think this through. We are not in central North Carolina here ó central North Carolina is Seagrove. I think this whole thing is a joke,Ē Smith told The High Point Enterprise.

Airport officials, along with business leaders, say the name change better reflects where the region is in the state and pinpoints the airportís location in North Carolina. The name change will help the region identify the airport more immediately with business recruitment prospects across the country and world, they contend.

But Smith said he speaks for a large number of airport passengers who are upset not only about the name change, but that the opinions of passengers werenít taken into account before the decision was made. No public announcement about the consideration of the name change was made prior to the vote of the airportís governing board this past Tuesday.

Smith said he doesnít believe the reasons given by airport leaders for the name change come close to justify getting rid of the title Piedmont Triad International Airport.

ďWhy change something thatís not broken?Ē said Smith, who said he flies periodically from the airport. ďI donít think this is going to make more people come here because we identify ourselves as central North Carolina.Ē

Airport officials couldnít be reached for comment Friday by The Enterprise for a response to the protest petition drive.

Smith said he intends to speak about his protest at the next Piedmont Triad Airport Authority governing board meeting, which is scheduled for 2 p.m. Jan. 23 in the executive office on the upper level of the main terminal.

Airport officials say the new name change takes effect Jan. 1, although it will take months to roll out the name on signs and marketing materials. Smith said he wants to convince the board to drop the name change before the title Central North Carolina International Airport advances to more semblance of reality.

ďI hope to have 10,000 names on the petition by then, and that it gets their attention,Ē he told The Enterprise.

Old 12-23-2017, 11:21 AM

Wow. It shows real time when people are signing it and its constantly adding signatures. Close to 2,000 already. They may have more than 10, 000 signatures by then. I gladly signed it. If anyone signs it, please share on Facebook.

Last edited by gsoboi78; 12-23-2017 at 11:37 AM..

Old 12-23-2017, 11:33 AM
Status: "Charlotte Checkers Calder Cup Champions!" (set 29 days ago)

7,218 posts, read 8,232,213 times
Yikes, thats a mouthful to say. This is one of those cases where the old saying "Don't fix what isn't broken" rings true.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Everyone in NC knows Greensboro. Iím doubtful every North Carolinian knows High Point. Maybe vaguely has heard of it. I honestly havenít even heard of high point until a couple years ago. And Iíve been in NC for 25 years. I always knew Greensboro & Winston.

I also think Greensboro has outsized name brand due to the college sports and other sporting events it usually hosts.

While itís my opinion that Greensboro has pretty strong name power relative to size, itís not opinion Greensboro is more well known than high point. I donít have any proof, links or data. But this is one of those things you have to be completely delusional to doubt.

The only time I ever heard of a furniture mart in High Point was when people got their panties twisted over HB2 and finally someone was there to share the pain with CLT. Hickory always comes to my mind when I think of furniture. Iím not knocking HighPoint. I donít know anything about it to knock it.
I don't know how old you are but you've been in NC since the early 90's and you found out about High Points existence 2-3 years ago? Seriously?

Old 12-23-2017, 12:36 PM

3,784 posts, read 3,295,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post
Yikes, thats a mouthful to say. This is one of those cases where the old saying "Don't fix what isn't broken" rings true.

I don't know how old you are but you've been in NC since the early 90's and you found out about High Points existence 2-3 years ago? Seriously?

Maybe vaguely heard of it. Like Greenville, Goldsboro or Burlington, a Triad city. I never heard of Wilson until a lesbian friend started dating someone from there.Heard of Goldsboro when I started this forum. I knew Danville, VA.

But correct. Iím more familiar with SC & western NC. Once you pass Fayetteville or Winston-Salem to the east in NC, Iím pretty much down to really knowing Greensboro, Raleigh, Durham, Wilmington & Cary. Anything east of Winston & Fayetteville (followimg 74) Iím familiar with. From West Jefferson down to CLT. Hickory is the furniture capitol of NC in my mind.

Itís good that there is a petition to not change it to Central. Itís a terrible mistake

Old 12-23-2017, 02:08 PM

4,604 posts, read 3,017,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
I knew Danville, VA.
I wish I didn't ...but I digress.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point