U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 03:10 PM

4,586 posts, read 4,405,123 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
I wish I didn't ...but I digress.
Danville from an architectural perspective is nice downtown. There is a river that flows through the city. But yes not much going on. The mall there is small, almost completely dead and its outdated with carpet throughout the mall and cheap discount chains. Danville use to be the place to go for Greensboro residents to buy lottery tickets before NC got a state lottery. Little over a 30 minute drive to the state line. Im actually surprised Danville and the county is not a part of the Triad because I do know a lot of people commute from Danville to Greensboro but at the same time Montgomery Country in NC is a part of the Piedmont Triad partnership and really has no connection to the Triad at all because its so far a way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2017, 03:36 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,106,265 times
I guess they can say "See NC with CNC" or something like that.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:36 AM

1 posts, read 672 times
Some pretty hot takes from both sides in this thread. Here are some random thoughts:

1) The term PTI is ingrained into many local residents in the area. It will take years before people don't say PTI (and many may never stop calling it that).

2) It's too bad the term has never really caught on outside of NC. I think the fact that it's similar to the more nationally known Triangle has been the biggest factor from a marketing perspective.

3) Central NC International only better clarifies where the airport is, but it's a wholly unremarkable and forgettable name. If PTI truly needs to change, they need a better name.

4) Having Greensboro and Winston-Salem in the name would probably be better. As mentioned before, High Point would do everything in their power to make sure they were included in the name too. We can discuss on both sides whether or not this SHOULD be the case, but the reality is that having just Greensboro and Winston-Salem in the name without High Point isn't feasible right now.

5) People from High Point (myself included) have a double chip on their shoulder. You already have a chip if you're from the Triad since you're often looked down on from residents from the Triangle and Metro Charlotte. High Point is looked down on by its two bigger cities within the metro area. This may explain why we get a little defensive in these discussions.

6) With all due respect to my hometown, High Point's national/international name recognition is narrowly focused within a single industry. I honestly don't think it's comparable to Greensboro. Nearly all people outside of NC that know High Point also know Greensboro because they have to fly to Greensboro to get there. Yea, I know some marketgoers fly into CLT and RDU, but that's the minority. I should also mention that Thomasville as a brand still has some name recognition in these same circles, but that isn't of much direct benefit to the town itself.

7) On the other hand, Hickory instead of HP when thinking of furniture? You should watch your language in such a public forum--there may be kids reading this after all.

Last edited by RDUGuyFromTriad; 12-30-2017 at 10:37 AM.. Reason: minor grammer

Old 12-30-2017, 12:23 PM

302 posts, read 537,389 times
....and be careful assuming others are “looking down” at High Point. It happens to be a wonderful city full of hard working and great people, among other things.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:45 AM

2,648 posts, read 6,088,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDUGuyFromTriad View Post
The term PTI is ingrained into many local residents in the area. It will take years before people don't say PTI (and many may never stop calling it that).
I don't see this at all. I rarely, if ever, hear anyone call it PTI. Most everyone says "Greensboro" or GSO. About the only time I hear PTI is on the TV commercials. And I really think that the new name will have the same impact (or lack thereof). Most will likely continue to say "I'm flying out of Greensboro". It all seems like a big waste of time and money to make this name change.

Old 01-04-2018, 08:10 AM

There is a universal negative reaction to the name change.

"It sounds like the name of a junior college"

As to why it couldn't be named Greensboro International Airport,

The Rhino said:

"Conrad said the county commissioners have learned in recent months just how strong the tensions can be between the area’s local governments it is safe to say that both High Point and Winston-Salem would have a meltdown if advocates tried to name the airport after Greensboro"

Guilford Chairman's Shocking E-notice Vote - Rhino Times Greensboro

Old 01-04-2018, 08:36 AM

3,813 posts, read 3,309,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
There is a universal negative reaction to the name change.

"It sounds like the name of a junior college"

As to why it couldn't be named Greensboro International Airport,

The Rhino said:

"Conrad said the county commissioners have learned in recent months just how strong the tensions can be between the area’s local governments it is safe to say that both High Point and Winston-Salem would have a meltdown if advocates tried to name the airport after Greensboro"

Guilford Chairman's Shocking E-notice Vote - Rhino Times Greensboro

If the other areas have a meltdown, then they deserve the name. Central Carolina it is.

Old 01-04-2018, 10:17 AM

They could name it Greensboro International Airport but Winston-Salem and High Point would back out of the airport authority and not commit any resources towards the airport. The two cities would also not help provide incentives for any company that tries to relocate on the airport property. Thats how nasty things can get in the Triad.

Old 01-04-2018, 12:21 PM

7,278 posts, read 13,529,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
They could name it Greensboro International Airport but Winston-Salem and High Point would back out of the airport authority and not commit any resources towards the airport. The two cities would also not help provide incentives for any company that tries to relocate on the airport property. Thats how nasty things can get in the Triad.
So you're speculating about what the other cities would do and then declaring that the totally defensible thing that those cities would hypothetically do is evidence that things get nasty in the region?

Any MSA or CSA has tension between the cities, or between core cities and suburbs. No one wants to feel like they're second fiddle. And in most of those cases of tension, you don't even have what you have with the Triad, with two very close peers sitting just a few miles apart.

Old 01-11-2018, 10:56 AM

434 posts, read 496,659 times
Looks like the renaming may not be a done deal yet.

"The authority said in a written news release that its vote last month to change the name of the airport to Central North Carolina International Airport was the beginning of a rebranding process and there's room for the public to make its voice heard.

After the name change was announced, local residents staged a mini revolt, writing a spate of letters to the editor and signing nearly 6,000 names to an anti-name-change petition posted on Change.org.

Although the name change was set to happen Jan. 1, the airport's website and road signs retain the Piedmont Triad International Airport name."

Piedmont Triad Airport Authority seeking public input on name change | Local Business | greensboro.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point