Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2017, 10:01 AM

1,203 posts, read 1,051,022 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
The new name is Central NORTH Carolina International Airport. I actually think its better than the old name.
That's extremely cumbersome though and still not particularly clear. Is it Asheboro? Is it Fayetteville? Maybe Durham? Central NC encompasses a pretty large area. Unless this is the start of trying to rebrand the Triad as Central NC (also stupid), then this just seems pointless and damaging to the brand if anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2017, 10:21 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
That's extremely cumbersome though and still not particularly clear. Is it Asheboro? Is it Fayetteville? Maybe Durham? Central NC encompasses a pretty large area. Unless this is the start of trying to rebrand the Triad as Central NC (also stupid), then this just seems pointless and damaging to the brand if anything.
Its more clear, and hardly more cumbersome, than the previous name. Face it, outside of NC hardly anyone knows what the Piedmont Triad is. That branding effort has been a big nothing burger.

I'm not saying they couldn't have done better, but there's no real damage, imo.

Old 12-20-2017, 10:25 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
I noticed this comment in the Journal article:
Quote:
Stan Kelly, president of the Piedmont Triad Partnership economic development agency, said Tuesday his group has
already been referring to the area as “central North Carolina.”
So are we supposed to call this area (not just the airport) Central North Carolina now, instead of the Piedmont Triad, or Triad?

Old 12-20-2017, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emelvee View Post
I noticed this comment in the Journal article:

So are we supposed to call this area (not just the airport) Central North Carolina now, instead of the Piedmont Triad, or Triad?
Sounds like the powers that be are moving away from the Piedmont Triad name for external marketing. Makes sense, after decades it still has virtually no name recognition.

I'm sure many of us will still use it locally to refer to the area.

Old 12-20-2017, 12:29 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,389,215 times
I would call it Greensboro International Airport.

Or, to placate Winston, the Greensboro Winston-Salem International Airport.

Central North Carolina makes me think of Fayetteville or Goldsboro for some reason. And it is silly to have triad considering the Triangle is a thing.

I think Greensboro & Winston Salem have much more brand power than any other Generic name. “Greensboro & Winston-Salem Economic Development Agency” instead

Old 12-20-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Central North Carolina makes me think of Fayetteville or Goldsboro for some reason. And it is silly to have triad considering the Triangle is a thing.

I think Greensboro & Winston Salem have much more brand power than any other Generic name. “Greensboro & Winston-Salem Economic Development Agency” instead
What about High Point?

Old 12-20-2017, 01:14 PM

1,459 posts, read 1,162,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post

Maybe this was a factor in previously including Triad in the name, but now seems to be a factor in their deciding to give it a new name. It was a flawed strategy from the beginning.

Old 12-20-2017, 01:39 PM

1,141 posts, read 1,032,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
What about High Point?
What about it? RDU doesnt throw Chapel Hill or Cary in the title. Imo its fine having the two dominant cities make up the name as those two cities are likely the main places people are going to when they fly in. Or out.

Old 12-20-2017, 02:06 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
Since they're ok with absurdly long names, I would be fine with "Greensboro/Winston-Salem International Airport" (or just Greensboro International Airport as I stated previously). Same number of syllables as "Central North Carolina..."

Old 12-20-2017, 02:18 PM

475 posts, read 684,434 times
I said this in a thread here about a month ago...

"When I talk to people across the country they don't know what the 'Piedmont Triad' is," said Greensboro Mayor Nancy Vaughan.

Though I am NO fan of "Piedmont Triad," *this* might actually be worse. Horrible.

I too, think Greensboro/Winston-Salem is better, and the location is VERY CLEAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point