U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-26-2017, 11:08 AM

36 posts, read 77,290 times

Advertisements

Where would you recommend for a retirement home in the Winston Salem area - one level, no grounds maintenance modern kitchen and 3 bedrooms, and garage. A small garden would be ok and a HOA with activities planned also acceptable. I have looked on Trulia and other sites but specific areas would be helpful. Price up to 275K/300K - Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2017, 12:39 PM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,255 times
Sorry I don't have specific recommendations. I'm in the early long-term planning stages for this as well. However, even though I dislike yard work, I also dislike being too close to my neighbors. So I will consider property that requires me to maintain a small yard - but I will likely pay a company to take care of the yard services. I would be paying for such yard services anyway (through HOA dues), so I prefer to have control over who does the yard work.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:13 PM

182 posts, read 84,818 times
Your best bet is to find a realtor - I suggest John-Mark Mitchell or Leonard-Ryden-Burr. They can tailor a website called Listingbook to your specifics and then you can browse. Welcome to Winston.

Old 12-26-2017, 01:30 PM

28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brittransplant View Post
Move to Winston Salem area as a retiree
...modern kitchen and 3 bedrooms, and garage. Price up to 275K/300K
Almost anything sold in the 275K/300K range will be a fine house.

Quote:
I have looked on Trulia and...
Has anything that Trulia showed you been disturbing in any way?
I'd be very surprised if so.

But your desire for a one level and no grounds maintenance situation is tough.
It might even be impossible to achieve straight on requiring that you instead
budget for hired lawn & landscape help.

Your other problem is that the price range is a sort of in-between range.
The really nice neighborhoods (and larger homes) start at about $400,000
but you really don't need to spend more than $200,000 to get a rather nice suburban home.

How much time have you spent IN the area?
Plan to rent a small place and live there for no less than six months before signing any contracts.
===

The LARGER questions are 1) Alone or Couple
and 2) what else you want in your life aside from a house.

Last edited by MrRational; 12-26-2017 at 01:38 PM..

Old 12-27-2017, 09:27 AM

Default Millhaven Landing possibility

Thanks for the replies. I am part of an older couple late 60's and early 80's other half. This community, Millhaven Landing, sounds appealing as it has activities to do that would help us make acquaintances.Anyone know anything about it?

Also are there any other similar communities with activities include - not golf - but acceptable for seniors.

Thanks to the person who commented that they too would be looking but I could also look for a more spacious place and account for the landscaping upkeep in the price. I already pay for landscaping her in Florida and was hoping the avoid it - but it is certainly an option.

Old 12-27-2017, 02:12 PM

35 posts, read 22,363 times
I know nothing about the Millhaven development specifically but the location is good. If you are ok with living a bit further from the center of town Bermuda Run in Advance is likely to have activities with people in your age range. It has golf but I don't think you have to sign up for that part of it. Typically anything on the western side of town all the way out to Mocksville are nice areas, just depends on what you are looking for.

Old 12-28-2017, 08:41 AM

79 posts, read 53,343 times
I live in bermuda run and there are a ton of things to do for older people

Old 12-28-2017, 08:47 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,438,238 times
I'd say Bermuda Run would be a great place to look. This house seems to meet all your criteria:

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sal...22_rect/15_zm/

Old 01-04-2018, 08:49 AM

BC1960 - thank you - I looked at that area and that house - which you are right - is very much what I am looking for! Thanks

Old 01-04-2018, 01:09 PM

79 posts, read 53,343 times
I live in Kinderton Village in Bermuda Run and I love it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or