U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2009, 07:17 AM

836 posts, read 3,003,222 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by curlygc View Post
I'm going to be relocating to Asheboro in the next month or so, and the crime stats kind of freak me out. The rates of burglary and theft are twice the national average and twice the average of NC total. Some web sites show Asheboro's property crime rates being worse than Durham, and that's saying something! What the heck is going on there? Do I need a gun/security system/guard dog or should I just ignore those statistics? As a single woman living alone, that's hard to do! Are there areas I should just avoid?

curly
Just like in most states...The Crime rate all over NC is high due to gang violence, people losing their jobs, economy etc.. Asheboro is NOT a very big town with a population of 25,000 people and slowly growing. The crime rate here in Asheboro that your speaking of is in the inner areas of the city or the "Projects".. where the poorer of the population lives..(blacks, mexicans and a few select whites). Unless you are planning to live in the areas I spoke of. You should be ok. There are good areas to live in around here.
We have been living right outside the city in Asheboro (Dave's Mountain area) for about 9 years now and haven't had any problems with crime in our area. Which area of Asheboro did you choose to move too?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2009, 08:52 AM

57 posts, read 240,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
Just like in most states...The Crime rate all over NC is high due to gang violence, people losing their jobs, economy etc.. Asheboro is NOT a very big town with a population of 25,000 people and slowly growing. The crime rate here in Asheboro that your speaking of is in the inner areas of the city or the "Projects".. where the poorer of the population lives..(blacks, mexicans and a few select whites). Unless you are planning to live in the areas I spoke of. You should be ok. There are good areas to live in around here.
We have been living right outside the city in Asheboro (Dave's Mountain area) for about 9 years now and haven't had any problems with crime in our area. Which area of Asheboro did you choose to move too?
Hi wolfeyes, thanks for the response! I have not moved yet, so I'm not sure where I'll end up! Actually, a realtor I've been emailing says she has a duplex on Dave's Mountain that is available, but I don't have any details yet. I'm planning on taking a trip to the town this weekend to look around.

curly

Old 03-24-2009, 10:56 AM

Sounds great.. hope you like it here. Oh yea it is suppose to rain all weekend so don't forget your umbrella. Where are you coming from.. another state or somewhere else in NC?

Old 03-27-2009, 09:46 AM

Default Hope it's nice on Sunday

Quote:
Sounds great.. hope you like it here. Oh yea it is suppose to rain all weekend so don't forget your umbrella. Where are you coming from.. another state or somewhere else in NC?
I'm coming from Chapel Hill. Not too far. Hopefully Sunday will be nice, I am supposed to see some potential homes!

curly

Old 03-27-2009, 01:47 PM

Default asheboro "slums" - where?

So take a look at this ad on craigslist:

House for Rent - Asheboro (http://greensboro.craigslist.org/apa/1094002169.html - broken link)

Looks like a decent little house in a decent neighborhood. But looks can be deceiving. How to know if that's an "ok" area or not? Based on how cheap the rent is, should I assume it's not a good area? I suppose I could call the Asheboro PD and ask for Dixon/McCrary crime statistics.

Can anyone give me some streets or specific areas to avoid please? Some streets to use as borders? Every street in this town all looks the same to me.

I'm going to look at houses this weekend on zoo parkway, but they are a bit pricey. There's got to be a middle ground somewhere. Looked on Daves Mountain, but no luck there.

curly

Old 03-30-2009, 06:03 AM

What price range are you looking at.. I know you said you were single but here is a house for rent in the North part of Asheboro. Search Residential Properties If you have trouble with the link just try going to vgallimore.remax.com, and use the selection boxes for rentals in asheboro.. It is a very nice house for $1300 a month but it is a 4 bedroom. Might be something your looking for even though it is a bit big for one person. If not maybe Vickie can help you find something. And down zoo parkway is a good area as well lots of nice homes down that way.

Good Luck.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
What price range are you looking at.. I know you said you were single but here is a house for rent in the North part of Asheboro. Search Residential Properties If you have trouble with the link just try going to vgallimore.remax.com, and use the selection boxes for rentals in asheboro.. It is a very nice house for $1300 a month but it is a 4 bedroom. Might be something your looking for even though it is a bit big for one person. If not maybe Vickie can help you find something. And down zoo parkway is a good area as well lots of nice homes down that way.

Good Luck.
That is a nice looking house, but a bit much for me. I'd like to keep the rent and utilities under $1000, if possible. I looked at a zoo parkway townhouse this weekend and I loved it. Unfortunately, the real estate agent tells me the developer won't consider renting any of the half dozen or more that are still for sale. I guess they have to sit empty for awhile longer before they decide to cut their losses. I can't imagine there are a lot of people these days willing (or able) to pony up $162k for a townhouse. But I could be wrong about that - certainly wouldn't be the first time. In the meantime, I'll keep looking. This weekend was quite a bust. All of the rentals I saw were dumps.

curly

Old 03-30-2009, 03:00 PM

109 posts, read 351,534 times
Quote:
That is a nice looking house, but a bit much for me. I'd like to keep the rent and utilities under $1000, if possible. I looked at a zoo parkway townhouse this weekend and I loved it. Unfortunately, the real estate agent tells me the developer won't consider renting any of the half dozen or more that are still for sale. I guess they have to sit empty for awhile longer before they decide to cut their losses. I can't imagine there are a lot of people these days willing (or able) to pony up $162k for a townhouse. But I could be wrong about that - certainly wouldn't be the first time. In the meantime, I'll keep looking. This weekend was quite a bust. All of the rentals I saw were dumps.

curly
162k for a townhome is cheap. If the developer has sold any of these, i doubt he will ever rent them because of the bylaws that govern the development.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:02 PM

109 posts, read 351,534 times
You should consider the 1 BR loft apartment about 1000 sf that I just moved out of in downtown Greensboro. It was $900 a month and your in Downtown Greensboro. If you want i can get you the information. I am not sure if it has been rented.

Old 03-30-2009, 03:59 PM

Quote:

curly
Ahh ok.. Finding a house might not be easy in this area..but here are some apartment listings here in Asheboro, some of these are newly built. Asheboro Apartments for Rent - NC - ApartmentGuide.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point