U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2018, 04:58 PM

10 posts, read 8,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I think you'll have trouble renting a 3 bedroom house for 10 people to live in. HUD guidelines (not laws) suggest no more than 2 people per bedroom. Most landlords will probably have similar expectations.
Thanks for the reply! Where and how can I rent a three-bedroom house, then? Does someone know?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2018, 06:15 PM

6,800 posts, read 4,474,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amorzl View Post
Thanks for the reply! Where and how can I rent a three-bedroom house, then? Does someone know?
What exactly are you asking? Lots of listings online for houses to rent, links were provided in an earlier post. Try Craigslist for additional properties. If you are asking if someone knows a specific 3 br house that the landlord will rent to your family of 10, then I think you will have to do your own legwork.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:23 AM

Quote:
What exactly are you asking? Lots of listings online for houses to rent, links were provided in an earlier post. Try Craigslist for additional properties. If you are asking if someone knows a specific 3 br house that the landlord will rent to your family of 10, then I think you will have to do your own legwork.
Alrighty! Thanks!

Old 02-01-2018, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Alrighty! Thanks!
Do you rent a 3 br house now?

Old 02-01-2018, 07:31 AM

No. At the moment, we're renting a two-bedroom apartment.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:37 AM

Quote:
No. At the moment, we're renting a two-bedroom apartment.
Wow, well maybe you won't have any trouble then. You'll just have to call around and ask the owners/property managers of the houses you're interested in and see what they say.

Old 02-01-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Wow, well maybe you won't have any trouble then. You'll just have to call around and ask the owners/property managers of the houses you're interested in and see what they say.
That's exactly what I did yesterday. I even told them we're willing to pay more than one month's rent in advance and that we have good reference from our landlady (we've lived in the same building for 15 years). Now, let's see what they say.
I did, though, got very discouraged to know that in WS, NC they are so strict about how many people live in one house. I mean, how are big families (parents and siblings) with limited means supposed to live, then, if they are all not allowed to live under the same roof? We, definitely, can NOT pay for a four, five bedroom house.

Thanks, anyways, for the responses! At least, I got an understanding of how things work there.

Old 02-01-2018, 08:10 AM

Quote:
That's exactly what I did yesterday. I even told them we're willing to pay more than one month's rent in advance and that we have good reference from our landlady (we've lived in the same building for 15 years). Now, let's see what they say.
I did, though, got very discouraged to know that in WS, NC they are so strict about how many people live in one house. I mean, how are big families (parents and siblings) with limited means supposed to live, then, if they are all not allowed to live under the same roof? We, definitely, can NOT pay for a four, five bedroom house.

Thanks, anyways, for the responses! At least, I got an understanding of how things work there.
I wouldn't assume that to be absolutely true. I would frankly be surprised if landlords are open to renting a 3 br house to 10 people, but I would have assumed that would be the case everywhere. Maybe it won't be an issue for you.

Old 02-01-2018, 10:27 AM

28,562 posts, read 62,355,227 times
Quote:
...willing to pay more than one month's rent in advance...
No responsible landlord will accept additional/advance rent.
The state laws limit how much deposit they can take.

Quote:
...discouraged to know that in WS, NC they are so strict about...
It's not about Winston. It's about being responsible.
Beware of doing business with the irresponsible LL's

Old 02-01-2018, 03:14 PM

7,280 posts, read 13,544,406 times
Like others said, I don't think landlords in Winston-Salem are any stricter about this sort of thing than other landlords, but the rule of thumb most places is two residents per bedroom. That' s based on an internal HUD memo. It isn't necessarily law, but it is a frequently observed guideline.

It's as commonly enforced in Florida as it is in NC. If you've never encountered it, that's probably just luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or