Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 12:13 PM

5,922 posts, read 6,468,466 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are planning to sell our home in Oak Ridge and will be renting for a little while until we're ready to buy/build another house. My wife is familiar with the Cardinal Apartments on Old Oak Ridge road, and I think she stayed in an apartment complex close to Greensboro College before, but for the life of me, I cannot remember the name of those apartments.

Having said that, we are not necessarily looking to only rent in the Oak Ridge area. Since we plan to just rent for a short period of time (no more than 2 years max), we're open to most any place, so as long as it's safe, nice, and friendly for pets and children. I work in the Oak Ridge area, but I also work in the Jamestown area. Basically split time between the two. My wife only has to go into the office once a week, and she works close to Wendover/Piedmont Parkway. That being said, I wouldn't want a very long commute to work. I can handle 30 - 35 minutes if need be.

Now, I've read enough threads around here to realize I should expect around $1,000/month for a decent apartment. So that being said, what are my options? In addition to apartments, I would most definitely be open to renting a town house if the price is OK. We don't need luxurious, but we don't want to stay in the rough part of time. I'm not necessarily interested in staying close to downtown, but if the place is great and would be great for me and my family in the short term, I will consider it. I just want to know my options before we're out of our house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2018, 12:21 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,380,824 times
I am assuming schools are not an issue?

Personally, I would avoid apartments like the plague, especially for 2 years, which I would call a long time to be in one, especially after living in a comfortable suburban home. My suggestion would be to find a condo or small house to rent, either in Oak Ridge or around Guilford College.

Can I ask why you don't just stay in your house and sell it when you're ready to buy/build another one?

Old 02-12-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I am assuming schools are not an issue?
Not right now.

Quote:
Personally, I would avoid apartments like the plague, especially for 2 years, which I would call a long time to be in one, especially after living in a comfortable suburban home. My suggestion would be to find a condo or small house to rent, either in Oak Ridge or around Guilford College.
Because condos and small houses to rent are plentiful in Oak Ridge.

Quote:
Can I ask why you don't just stay in your house and sell it when you're ready to buy/build another one?
No.

Old 02-12-2018, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
Because condos and small houses to rent are plentiful in Oak Ridge
Somebody's got a bad case of the Mondays, LOL.

Here's a couple:

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/ap...491324273.html

https://greensboro.craigslist.org/ap...480115931.html

Last edited by BC1960; 02-12-2018 at 01:52 PM..

Old 02-12-2018, 01:22 PM

One doesn't allow pets. The other has no information to speak of. Of course, I have contacted the individual. Is there anybody out there who can actually give me some information on area apartments?

Old 02-12-2018, 01:48 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
I recommend Crowne Gardens Apartments on New Garden Rd. Depending on where your job is specifically in Oak Ridge or Jamestown, you're looking at a 15-25 minute commute. I've been at those apartments for close to 4 months now, no major complaints. Depending on what they have available, you might land a recently renovated 2-bedroom unit within your 1000/month budget. They also have optional garages. Pet fee is a one time $300, with no additional monthly cost (a lot of other apartments in the area seem to be adding a monthly cost for pets).

Old 02-12-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I recommend Crowne Gardens Apartments on New Garden Rd. Depending on where your job is specifically in Oak Ridge or Jamestown, you're looking at a 15-25 minute commute. I've been at those apartments for close to 4 months now, no major complaints. Depending on what they have available, you might land a recently renovated 2-bedroom unit within your 1000/month budget. They also have optional garages. Pet fee is a one time $300, with no additional monthly cost (a lot of other apartments in the area seem to be adding a monthly cost for pets).
Thanks Brain! Are utilities factored into the rent or is that separate charge?

Old 02-12-2018, 03:30 PM

1,452 posts, read 1,081,404 times
No problem! Utilities are separate. For my girlfriend and I, we've payed about 100-110/month for electric so far, and about 20-25/month for water. Not sure what it will be like in the summer though.

Old 02-12-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
One doesn't allow pets. The other has no information to speak of. Of course, I have contacted the individual.
Don't get discouraged! Something will pop up for you. I bet one day soon you'll be able to afford to get your family back into your own house!

Old 02-12-2018, 10:26 PM

223 posts, read 144,512 times
Check out Lake Brandt Apartments. My Son lives there and it is a nice gated complex.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point