U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2018, 08:02 AM

1,486 posts, read 1,694,213 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
My girlfriend and I just moved to Greensboro back in October, but we've visited Asheville several times over the past couple of years. We prefer Asheville, but we have really grown to love GSO so far. Only reason we didn't land in the former is that the job market I was specifically looking for was limited in the western NC area in comparison. Both cities have outdoor activities nearby, but Asheville's are much better of course. Both offer plenty of entertainment and nightlife, such as live music, bars, craft beer, and night clubs. Asheville is going to be more arts-focused, although GSO and neighboring Winston-Salem are growing in this as well.

As mentioned before, housing prices in Greensboro are going to be a lot more stable and easier to swallow. I can only speak for renting, but even living in an apartment downtown would be reasonable.

For the economy, Asheville seems a lot more touris-based, whereas Greensboro has a healthier mix of other industries. However, you shouldn't have a problem finding healthcare jobs in either, I don't think.

Climate-wise, we haven't been here long enough to experience summer. Greensboro sits at about 900ft in elevation vs Asheville's 2100ft, so there may be a little bit of a difference. Both are capable of getting some snow, for example in GSO we had one storm last month that dumped about 8 or so inches. However, that's probably pretty rare.

Lastly, when it comes to acceptance, Asheville is going to be more open and generally better about this. However, we've had no problem meeting friendly people here in GSO. To add the anecdote, we're an interracial couple and haven't really had any glaring issues with this as well.
Hey, and welcome.

Let me say that, while I am an old white lady (albeit a proud Howard U grad-yeah you read that right ), Greensboro has a history of welcoming people from all over the world. I know this because my mother, aka Mama, worked as a refugee resettler for decades. I wouldn't expect you to have any trouble as an interracial couple here.

Summer's coming. Get out the bug spray!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2018, 08:26 AM

10,676 posts, read 11,296,076 times
Both Asheville and Greensboro are in North Carolina. That's about it for similarities.

Old 02-26-2018, 09:33 AM

634 posts, read 238,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
Hey, and welcome.

Let me say that, while I am an old white lady (albeit a proud Howard U grad-yeah you read that right ), Greensboro has a history of welcoming people from all over the world. I know this because my mother, aka Mama, worked as a refugee resettler for decades. I wouldn't expect you to have any trouble as an interracial couple here.
Thank you! And that definitely seems to be true of the area so far. We're very happy here.

Quote:
Summer's coming. Get out the bug spray!
Ready for it lol; I grew up in Tampa, and my lady grew up in Knoxville, so we're both used to that lovely aspect of summer

Old 02-26-2018, 09:59 AM

79 posts, read 53,247 times
I was going to recommend that the OP take a visit to Winston Salem. I work in Winston and I love it. The city has an Asheville type of vibe to it but bigger and the housing prices are awesome too

Old 02-26-2018, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catamountalum2004 View Post
I was going to recommend that the OP take a visit to Winston Salem. I work in Winston and I love it. The city has an Asheville type of vibe to it but bigger and the housing prices are awesome too
I love Winston too. I have dear friends there and enjoy the area. I just know more about Greensboro.

Old 02-26-2018, 12:05 PM

2,304 posts, read 1,790,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Both Asheville and Greensboro are in North Carolina. That's about it for similarities.
Hippies have migrated to Greensboro itís obviously not in the mountains but there is a coherent WNC influence

Old 02-26-2018, 12:39 PM

819 posts, read 1,012,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Hippies have migrated to Greensboro it’s obviously not in the mountains but there is a coherent WNC influence
I liken the northside of greensboro to raleigh and durham, because it really feels like the triangle compared to other sides of the cities, in terms of transplants, my apartment at drawbridge parkway has very few residents from NC. I run into people all over the place. I really get that "new south" vibe,. Which explains why people prefer the northside. For the shopping, housing and overall liberal vibe.

It also just feels, alot more progressive. From what people wear to how they cary them selves to the type of cars you see people drive, the northside is a little peice of the triangle inside the triad, i just wish the entire city was like that. And the further you go out, the further it feels like "the good ol' boys", porch swings, bible belt activist, a big reminder that you are definitely in the south.

Some parts just feel, incredibly old south. Old money and stagnant, run down

I am noticing an influx of "new age" hippies, aswell as hipsters that shop around the friendly area.

Old 02-26-2018, 01:30 PM

3,786 posts, read 3,297,504 times
Asheville is more tourism related. Not necessarily a Brandon Missouri gimmicky tourism, but just a place people like to visit because itís a liberal hip place

Greensboro is an actual place to raise a family, plenty of job opportunities, etc.

Being a nurse, obviously you can find work anywhere. But I would imagine for professional dating, GSO would be better and Iím sure overall GSO must have nice suburbs and great places to raise families, shopping, etc.

Old 02-26-2018, 08:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Hippies have migrated to Greensboro itís obviously not in the mountains but there is a coherent WNC influence
That's hilarious. Define "hippie".

Old 02-27-2018, 03:59 AM

2,304 posts, read 1,790,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue at the Rock View Post
That's hilarious. Define "hippie".
Greensboro folk festival
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point