U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:54 PM

2 posts, read 6,490 times

Advertisements

Some people make fun of Surry County because there's not a whole lot to do here. It's kind of underdeveloped and a lot of people have moved away and become super poor because all the factories left. It's very difficult finding jobs here and is just a really poor area now. He could have just been referring to all of that.

So, does anyone know anywhere around where someone from Surry County could go to meet other people? My bf and I are in our twenties, and there really isn't anything to do in this town. Any ideas for places nearby?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2009, 01:01 PM

1 posts, read 1,991 times
My father and his family was from Dobson. He always referred to it as "Sorry" County and he said it was because the red dirt was "sorry" and wouldn't grow anything. They were tobacco farmers and bootleggers. He told me that his family moved to High Point because the land was so "sorry."

Old 11-06-2009, 08:21 AM

40 posts, read 97,665 times
Default Sorry County

I think the poster is right about the red dirt and calling Surry Co Sorry Co. I grew up in Surry Co and way back in the 1960's I frequently heard it called Sorry Co.
I think partly it was just a local way of saying not much to do there and was not taken too seriously.
Of course now with the wine industry firmly established all over Surry Co and a trend to live in a more small town, less McMansion type area the trend has reversed and I cannot imagine anyone using that term now, even in jest.

Old 11-06-2009, 08:36 AM

32,072 posts, read 13,105,502 times
I have lived in Surry County for 10 years now and never heard it called Sorry. I love it because it is so small.

Old 11-06-2009, 12:06 PM

254 posts, read 826,456 times
Ever think that, perhaps, people would just say "Sorry" because it resembles the actual name? Like people saying "Zoo York" or "Greensboring" or "Hotlanta"?
I don't think people up there would pronounce the name as such due to dialect. If that were the case, it seems most people around here would instead say "Sarry", like the way they tend to pronounce "bury" and names that end in "-bury" (Barry the hatchet, Danbarry).

Old 11-08-2009, 05:03 PM

7,848 posts, read 18,289,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tasmtairy View Post
I have lived in Surry County for 10 years now and never heard it called Sorry. I love it because it is so small.
My mother is from Surry County...I love Elkin - I was there recently and ate at Speedy Chef.

Old 11-09-2009, 01:41 PM

4 posts, read 9,720 times
Folks from Stokes county like to look down on Surry (and vice versa). They aren't that different demographically, but less employment opportunities seem to exist in Surry, hence more unemployment, hence the people there being labeled as "sorry". I think that with the levels of illiteracy in both counties, neither are in a position to look down on the other.

Your Realtor may actually be breaking the law by "knocking" a region like that. Lots of Realtors now won't even tell you which schools serve a particular residence and it's because if it is an "ESL" (English as a Second Language) school or a school that has a high percentage of minority students, people can alledge discriminatory "tone of voice" in relaying the info. Likewise, upper middle class, mostly white schools. Some Realtors wouldn't even identify which "school zone number" the neighborhood is being served by. The schools were in fact, the PRIMARY factor in choosing our home, so that made it hard to sort through our options. You can say that the Realtor is bad, but I hire a Realtor based on his or her ability and willingness to help ME find a property that suits MY preferences, regardless of whether others may like them or not.

Property has value based primarily on 3 things: Location, location and location--so you choose based on that. If the county is poor with high amounts of unemployment and illiteracy, I say move on. It would be a "sorry" investment. Perhaps you told your Realtor that you wanted good job opportunities, a good resale value, and good schools....?

Old 05-24-2011, 03:22 PM

1 posts, read 988 times
Sorry county... is because they run the county dirty!! dirty cops, dirty courthouse , What a shame it could be a nice town. It should not be about a small number of people in that town .

Old 05-24-2011, 03:26 PM

45,269 posts, read 88,634,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gretchen247 View Post
Sorry county... is because they run the county dirty!! dirty cops, dirty courthouse , What a shame it could be a nice town. It should not be about a small number of people in that town .

hmmm...sounds like you have some personal issues.

Surry County is very scenic and a nice place to live with good schools - but I guess it's not for everyone!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point