U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2018, 06:40 AM

5,999 posts, read 4,251,194 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
You could look at Hillsborough too. It’s about 50-55 min per google maps and Orange Co schools are pretty good.
The only drawback is the commute on NC-86. I drive that route often when heading to Duke’s clinics in Durham or visiting friends in eastern NC, and it’s not always smooth sailing. There tend to be a lot of trucks using it and it often carries a good deal of traffic for a 2-lane road. I’ve lost count of how many times I’ve gotten stuck behind a convoy of trucks. If there was ever a 2-lane road in NC that needs widened, it’s NC-86. Personally, I’d stick with the Greensboro area since US-29 is a far better commuting route to Danville.

That said, Hillsborough really is a nice town. If the OP is seriously interested in Hillsborough, I strongly recommend he take a drive on NC-86 between Hillsborough and Danville and then decide if that commute is tolerable for him.

Last edited by LM117; 04-01-2018 at 07:00 AM..
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2018, 12:15 PM

5,914 posts, read 4,787,276 times
Definitely Northern Guilford if you're going to make the commute to Danville. I did something similar when I first moved here. I live in Oak Ridge and commuted to Martinsville for work for the first two years. Straight shot up 220, so it was an easy, but long commute. I got in a lot of great podcasts during my commute, and it helped to have work completely off my mind by the time I got home in the evenings.

Old 04-24-2018, 05:20 PM

15 posts, read 8,238 times
Some good advice so far. Thanks for the input. What about Northwest Guilford High School as well? Would that be a farther commute?

Old 04-25-2018, 04:31 AM

6,800 posts, read 5,313,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick1906 View Post
Some good advice so far. Thanks for the input. What about Northwest Guilford High School as well? Would that be a farther commute?
It depends on where in the attendance zone exactly. Northwest and Northern zones abut each other, but the northwest zone also stretches back down to the Piedmont Triad airport, so a location in the NW zone and a location in the N zone could be virtually the same, or a location in the NW zone could be 30 minutes further from Danville than a location in the N zone.

Here are maps of both zones:
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site
Moderator cut: link removed, competitor site

Last edited by Yac; 05-08-2018 at 07:03 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point