Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2018, 02:57 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,298,269 times

Advertisements

This the Triad forum, not the Charlotte forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2018, 03:05 PM

742 posts, read 817,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
This the Triad forum, not the Charlotte forum.
yeah I'm aware of that, only mentioned it in the context of what had already been posted & fwiw this is possibly in addition to the Triad hub

Old 06-04-2018, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by js4life View Post
yeah I'm aware of that, only mentioned it in the context of what had already been posted & fwiw this is possibly in addition to the Triad hub
Nonetheless, the last 6 posts were all specific to Charlotte.

Old 06-06-2018, 11:32 PM

4,980 posts, read 5,339,162 times
Quote:
Nonetheless, the last 6 posts were all specific to Charlotte.

Which were about GSO specific topics regarding the Triangle and CLT sucking the air out of the econdev action in NC. Mentioned by a GSO poster.

Old 06-07-2018, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte485 View Post
Which were about GSO specific topics regarding the Triangle and CLT sucking the air out of the econdev action in NC. Mentioned by a GSO poster.
They're off topic.

Old 06-10-2018, 04:35 PM

37,795 posts, read 41,491,884 times
Quote:
They're off topic.
But it is relevant when talking about how this development fits into the economic landscape of the Triad and how the region can attract higher-paying jobs. I think it's just natural to talk about that in light of this development but in this thread, it's obvious that the discussion began veering beyond that just a bit.

Old 06-20-2018, 01:36 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,613,844 times
One step closer...

Atlanta developer buys Kernersville sites primed for Amazon fulfillment center

Old 07-12-2018, 07:39 PM

171 posts, read 156,840 times
I wonder if this is still happening because i keeps seeing articles saying that they are building a huge ones in Charlotte and Raleigh.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...214631315.html Raleigh area

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...ming-200m.html and Charlotte.

I hope i am wrong because they would be super helpful here

Old 07-12-2018, 11:11 PM

1,180 posts, read 1,018,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nerv2015 View Post
I wonder if this is still happening because i keeps seeing articles saying that they are building a huge ones in Charlotte and Raleigh.
https://www.newsobserver.com/news/bu...214631315.html Raleigh area

https://www.bizjournals.com/charlott...ming-200m.html and Charlotte.

I hope i am wrong because they would be super helpful here
These have been known about for a little while I do believe. I think it's more that Amazon is building fulfillment centers all over the place now. There are quite a few metro areas that have multiple fulfillment centers.

I really doubt these put the Kernersville center in jeopardy. In five years, it'll be rare the area that DOESN'T have an Amazon fulfillment center.

Old 07-13-2018, 11:24 AM

241 posts, read 335,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
I agree and I do welcome the jobs. I think people in the Triad are frustrated as to why the region can't seem to attract a lot of high paying jobs. There are some examples such as Honda Jet but compared to the two larger metros in the state it's small potatoes. I think the Triad needs to find itself and determine its own niche. I applaud what Winston-Salem is doing in regards to innovation but the Triangle is already doing it and they are doing it bigger. Durham is building its own innovation district downtown and it will likely surpass what Winston-Salem has been working on for 20 plus years. It is puzzling though because the region has a decent population, great higher learning institutions, cultural and entertainment attractions, excellent quality of life and an urban lifestyle yet the region struggles attracting a large number of high paying jobs. I think part of the reason is that companies looking to relocate to North Carolina just find Charlotte and the Triangle too attractive. They are sucking up all the oxygen in the room.
This is it in a nutshell. Unfortunately, Raleigh being the seat of state government and surrounded by much larger, prestigious institutions of higher education is what made RTP what it is for the past almost 40 years. At that time, the Triad was bustling as a manufacturing center for tobacco, furniture, and textiles. Even though Wachovia headquarters was located in Winston-Salem. Once globalization and automation kicked into high gear in the 90s and those jobs dried up, Wachovia moved to Charlotte and the Triad really hasn't had a clear economic direction since then. We all know there's no way that the Innovation Quarter will up with RTP. Charlotte has continued to expand on its commercial banking center status. Because we don't have the deep pockets or white-collar workforce of those areas, it feels like we've been somewhat stagnant in comparison. Sustainable economic development requires taking financial risks and a progressive mentality. Those are two things that Winston has historically not really been willing or possibly able to do. Many things I love about my hometown, but the social stratifications of the past seem to hinder the economic development of the future. I won't speak for Greensboro because I know less about its history and development over the years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point