U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-30-2008, 06:30 PM

2 posts, read 6,607 times

Advertisements

We're going to be relocating to Winston-Salem. Would like to know some of the good areas. Also the best places to look for general employment & apartments. Is it gay friendly?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2008, 07:00 AM

63 posts, read 210,229 times
I don't think WInston-Salem is very "gay friendly" not that you'll get bashed or anything. BUT it's a small town and with that some very close minded individuals reside there, but thats anywhere you live. Especially in the South. You won't have any issues, but they don't exactly cater to you either..if you get what I mean!

Old 04-12-2008, 10:33 PM

58 posts, read 134,849 times
Thanks for the stereotype. Sure, there is some homophobia in some parts of the south, but this occurs everywhere else also.

Old 04-15-2008, 01:21 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,725,239 times
Inner Winston-Salem is quite "Gay Friendly"...especially if you choose to live in "West End". It is just as gay friendly as any other place in the Triad. Have you considered moving to Charlotte that is much more gay friendly than any other city in NC?

You might also consider Raleigh or Durham too. The larger the city...usually the more open minded people are.

GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:06 PM

3,125 posts, read 4,159,955 times
Winston-Salem is not the most exciting place, but hopefully strides are being made to make it more cultured. The arts community is quite visible and large in Winston. There are many gay-friendly people in Winston-Salem. IN many ways, Winston is a Mid-Atlantic city just as much as it is Southern. Please don't rely on outdated stereotypes about Winston. See if for yourself.

Old 04-21-2008, 07:41 AM

63 posts, read 210,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burch ave View Post
Thanks for the stereotype. Sure, there is some homophobia in some parts of the south, but this occurs everywhere else also.
Not stereotyping, just stating something I've observed living in the south! I mean, southern Illinois is just as bad or worse than NC..but then again..it's considered SOUTH! haha.

I wasn't saying "DOWN WITH THE SOUTH, THEY ARE GAY HATERS" just stating a fact.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:27 PM

10 posts, read 63,073 times
Default Why

Don't bother with Winston-Salem...there is nothing here!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 06:18 PM

247 posts, read 917,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paula_from_Venus View Post
Don't bother with Winston-Salem...there is nothing here!!!
I disagree. I came from Memphis, TN and believe me unless you just wanted to go to bars and have a few drinks that's about there all was to do. For a family, this place is ideal. There are plenty of family activities to do (plus you are close to both the beach and the mountains) and the area is much safer than other towns I have lived in.

Now, if I was young and single I may find Winston a little dull. I do not think there is much of a social scene here but I could be wrong!

Old 04-28-2008, 12:00 PM

2 posts, read 4,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lady_dee64 View Post
We're going to be relocating to Winston-Salem. Would like to know some of the good areas. Also the best places to look for general employment & apartments. Is it gay friendly?
Are you looking to rent or buy a home?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point