U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 11:42 AM

5,077 posts, read 13,073,171 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone!

My fiance and I are talking about moving back down. He's originally from South Carolina and I'm originally from Florida. We really want to get down to either NC or SC within the next year. We are looking for jobs and will be getting our resumes in order here pretty soon.
My question to my fellow equestrians.. how's the hay situation down there? I've heard from a few people that it's not good and that the hay is really expensive. Also, I've been looking at a lot of properties down there where we can bring the horses to have them on our property. How is the riding situation? Are there good places to ride if you have a trailer? Are there areas that have more horse people? Any advice, comments, etc are greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 02:56 PM

408 posts, read 1,326,426 times
Yes, hay has been brutally expensive this year (think $10+/bale, depending on quality).

I just moved from the triangle area, which had a lot of great equestrian activities, from trail riding to many shows at the Hunt Horse complex in Raleigh to great clinics. NC is pretty horsey overall, but the triangle, Southern Pines and Tryon are all quite good areas. There are plenty of horsey folks around the triad, too. Trailering options for trail riding in the triangle include Hill Forest (north of Durham), Umstead Park (Raleigh) and the Moss Foundation (Southern Pines). There are also trails at some county and state parks. In western NC, Biltmore sells season passes to trail riders who want to access their trails. That sounds wonderful to me! Blowing Rock is also known for access to great trails. South Mountains State Park (south of Morganton) has very nice trails + camping facilities for horses.

For general questions, go to nchorsenews.com and look at the message boards/post your questions. You might also find it useful to check into the NC Dressage/Combined Training association or the NC Hunter Jumper Association, if these match your interests.

Good luck!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:33 PM

Default Relocating with horses - Thanks!

Hi,

Thank you so much for your response. I'm really excited about coming back "home" and it is like home for me down there. My fiance is equally as excited and between his Mom and I we have been looking all over for homes with land and just having a field day finding them all. I know its going to be tough for a bit with the hay situation, but maybe since ya'll got some rain this year, it won't be as bad next hay season.

Anyway, thank you again.. it was greatly appreciated. By the way, I'm a tried and true western rider. No fancy pants for me - well, ok I admit I do own an English saddle and one pair of breeches but Im usually bareback or western! Been in the saddle for MANY years and love it! Thanks again!

Old 04-09-2008, 06:25 AM

2 posts, read 6,643 times
Hi, What kind of riding do you do? Hay varies from year to year. In 2007 we had the worst drought in NC history, so prices were very high. But typically the manager of the barn where I board gets an excellent orchard grass mix for around $5/bale. But, then again, she has a source. Even with the drought and prices skyrocketing, we were still able to get hay for around $7 a bale. If you are into dressage, the Pittsboro/Apex/Chapel Hill area is excellent with a number of FEI level trainers. If you are more into jumping, I think the Pinehurst/Southern Pines area would be better. I don't know for sure because for the last 15 years I've been focusing on dressage. If you want more info, let me know. Good luck. Leslie

Old 04-09-2008, 08:56 AM

408 posts, read 1,326,426 times
Hey, there are lots of western riders across NC! I enjoy that too, but mostly ride English/dressage (or bareback :-)

There are some reining barns more east and south of Raleigh. It also seems like there are more western activities a little further out from the metro area of the triangle, especially north towards Virginia and east towards Wilson/Rocky Mount. Since land is also more affordable further out, this could be perfect!

I encourage you to post questions on the nchorsenews.com message board for more local insight.

Old 04-09-2008, 11:56 AM

Hey everyone! Those were all great responses and I really appreciate it. Moreso, I can't wait to meet all of my new horse friends. I used to compete in western pleasure and barrel racing as a kid. Those days are long over so now I'm a tried and true trail rider and fortunartely here in PA there are a lot of places to go, my all time favorite is Valley Forge Park (a big historic battleground) but my goodness you can ride all day there and never see anything twice. It's wonderful! The sad part is that my friend with the trailer moved away and I've been stuck riding around my farm LOL
Not so fun after you pass the same creek and same geese day after day. I have a QH and a Percheron - great horses but completely different personalities.
I ride Western, I do own an English saddle, never did any jumping - and I have a custom made bareback pad which is THE best. We have been trailer shopping and am certainly going to have one by the time we are ready to move (I hope, LOL). That would suck having to pay a shipper to have my horses brought down!!!
Anyway, thanks again for all the great posts and information. I'm definitely looking forward to being back down south!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point