U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 10:03 PM

392 posts, read 410,417 times

Advertisements

On our travels in GSO, we passed through Jamestown. We liked what we saw, but we were only passing through at the time.

What are your impressions of it?
Are there zip codes to avoid?
Is it hard to get to UNCG from there?
Is public transportation there nil?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-03-2008, 12:23 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,671,762 times
Jamestown is a one ZIP Code town - 27282.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:16 AM

3,428 posts, read 9,250,583 times
Jamestown is a great town within Guilford County. As you probably noticed, it's mostly residential, except along Main Street where the library and town offices are. There's a golf course, parks, and walking trails. All of the Piedmont-Triad area (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point) is easily accessible from Jamestown.

Yes, public transportation is prety much nil. There is a bus route from HiTran (the High Point Transit) that hits a couple of spots along Main Street and goes to and from the GTCC campus. However, all of the transit services are linked together through PART (Piedmont Area Regional Transportation) so you can transfer from one route to another relatively easily.

Old 04-05-2008, 04:53 AM

103 posts, read 193,887 times
Default Jamestown

I have lived in Jamestown for the past 12 years - if you want small town living, a place where you get to know people, but can be in GSO or HPT in 10 minutes, then this is the place for you and your family. The area North of Hig Point Road (off Guilford College Road) is a little more upscale. Some great areas in all price points - Whittington Hall, Forestdale North and East, Cedarwood, Woodbine. We wouldn't live anywhere else!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:21 PM

1 posts, read 6,040 times
Jamestown is too small to have more than one zip code, so knowing the bad streets is the key to avoiding trouble. Don't move to ANYPLACE on the street named Scientific or any road that connects directly to it. Triangle Lake Road and Kivett Drive are also bad parts, though they may technically be part of High Point.

Any address East of the golf course is going to be nice, and you'll have your choice of new construction with home owners' associations or older neighborhoods with a little more freedom. You'll find it difficult to find a ranch-style home; almost all homes are at least two stories. Basements are common, as are brick facings.

As mentioned, it is generally a nice place to live (I'm from California, originally). Quick access to the highways (85, 311, and 40) make it easy to get to just about anyplace else. Getting to UNCG is a straight shot down High Point Road (though that one stretch of road changes names no less than FIVE times!) with one turn when you're in sight of the school. You can't miss it.

People are generally friendly here. The folks at the Post Office are very friendly and will know your name and address on sight after your second visit at most.

If you're from a big city (like me) you may experience some culture shock here. Tobacco is still allowed in restaurants (some voluntarily prohibit it, but not many). There aren't many radio stations, and most are country or religious. The county will tax you on your car every year, even after you pay your sales tax at purchase and annual registration. The schools are some of the worst in the nation. People seem to think that if you have to go "all the way across Greensboro" to get something, you're going too far. There's an airport in Greensboro with decent coverage, and an Amtrak station in High Point.

Hope this helps prepare you for what's ahead! Good luck on your move, and welcome to North Carolina.

Old 05-01-2008, 06:02 AM

18 posts, read 45,250 times
Jamestown is a very good place to live... Its the "high end" of the triad .
check here
Jamestown, North Carolina (NC) Detailed Profile - relocation, real estate, travel, jobs, hospitals, schools, crime, news, sex offenders

Old 07-06-2008, 12:28 PM

40 posts, read 117,458 times
Hi I had a quick question. My wife and I are going to be in Greensboro starting tomorrow up until Sunday to look at some places in Jamestown. Can anyone tell me if Aurora Way is a good street. I noticed its pretty close to Kivell Rod, which another poster here mention as a bad street. Any help would be apreciated! Thanks,

Old 07-07-2008, 01:10 AM

39 posts, read 101,572 times
Quote:
If you're from a big city (like me) you may experience some culture shock here. Tobacco is still allowed in restaurants (some voluntarily prohibit it, but not many). There aren't many radio stations, and most are country or religious. The county will tax you on your car every year, even after you pay your sales tax at purchase and annual registration. The schools are some of the worst in the nation. People seem to think that if you have to go "all the way across Greensboro" to get something, you're going too far. There's an airport in Greensboro with decent coverage, and an Amtrak station in High Point.
Yeah, some of that stuff applies to me, too, even though I lived in NC most of my life.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:07 AM

5 posts, read 15,610 times
Default Jamestown, NC

Jamestown, NC is a short drive from High Point and Greensboro. I would say you could be there in less than 15 minutes with heavy traffic. Also, Jamestown has lower taxes and utility rates than these cities. The town website is [URL="http://www.jamestown-nc.gov"]www.jamestown-nc.gov[/URL].

[mod] tos violation [/mod]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point