Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2006, 01:50 PM

5 posts, read 16,131 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I am considering attending the Post Grad school in Greensboro NC. I have been on the coastal area of NC for the past 4 yrs from the LA and East Bay areas of CA. would like to relocate and will be driving out next week to take a look around. I have some questions for those that are familuar with the area...

1. Housing/Rental areas that are good places to rent...safe, cost effective etc. ( If there are areas to stay away from someone please let me know)

2. Outdoors: mountian biking/road biking clubs, gear stores, camping areas, hiking, gyms etc???

3. Anyone attended the University there I would love to hear from!

4. Anything I should check out while I am there for a couple days next week??
I will be coming in from the I 40 West bound. ( I will be staying overnight in Stateville, so anyone with knowledge of that area it would be nice too.)

5. Job market for a Social Worker or Admin Sec? ( wife will need a job)

I appreciate ahead of time anything you all can share with me!

Kindest Regards,
Taylor
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2006, 08:10 PM

3,681 posts, read 9,015,257 times
Dude, you'll love Greensboro. It's a great city. I lived there for 12 years mostly through college years and post college years while I was still single so my lifestyle was a little different. It's not a LA or NY, it's a typical small Southern town but has a lot of great qualities. Here are my answers to your questions:
1) I lived around UNCG campus the whole time I lived in Greensboro and I loved it. It's close to everything, it's safe and it's inexpensive. Check out Lake Daniel area/Mendenal street/Walker Avenue/Elam street/N. Elm Street/Fisher Park. Stay away from Lee Street/High Point road area, stay to the North of it.

2) There is a lot of mountain biking in Greensboro. Check Reedy Fork trail, also Bur-Mill park, Owl's Roost trail. There was a mountain biking club in Greensboro named Fat tire society when I lived there, I'm not sure if they're still around, but look into them. It's a bike friendly town overall. You'll meet a lot of bike heads.

3) You're talking to a UNCG alumni, best years of my life. What do you wanna know?

4) Check out Downtown Greensboro. Park and walk down Elm Street, grab you a beer and lunch. I can't get specific and mention names or it'll get edited so .... Just walk down there, you'll see. Also, check out the new ball park downtown, Tate Street and drive through campus, on Spring Garden street.

5) I'm not sure about your wife's field but in my field, the job market sux in Greensboro that's why I'm not living there. There aren't many well paying jobs, so I moved away in 2003.

I hope this helped. Have a great visit and let us know how it goes. Cheers

Old 12-28-2006, 09:23 PM

5 posts, read 16,131 times
Hey! Thanks for the tips. I will sure check out the area's you mentioned.
How big of a campus is it?? And will it be easy to learn your way around?

I will be heading there in a few days and when I get back will let you know how all goes! Glad to hear there is a lot of bike heads, that is a major plus!

Peace,
Taylor

Old 12-29-2006, 09:24 AM

3,681 posts, read 9,015,257 times
Hey, no problem. The campus is not as big as you'd think, it still feels like a small college eventhough it has about 14,000 students. There is a lot of commuters there. Greensboro is not that easy to learn your way around as opposed to the Mid West or other parts of the country where everything is in grids, so get a map. It'll take a little while to learn your way around, there is no North, South or East, West feel to any of the streets for the most part. And you will definitely dig the biking, especially off road, single track, hard core mountain biking. You can find even more stuff if you're willing to drive a little farther. Anyway, Good luck. I'll talk to you when you get back. Cheers!

Old 12-29-2006, 08:19 PM

41 posts, read 195,818 times
Default Response on Greensboro

Hello,

Glad to "hear" you will be doing school work at UNC-G. I graduated from there with my Masters and enjoyed the experience. For the full experience, you just have to go to Yum-Yums when you come up to get a hotdog and some ice-cream.

Now - to respond to your questions.......

1. Housing/Rental areas that are good places to rent...safe, cost effective etc. ( If there are areas to stay away from someone please let me know)
As the other post stated, stay away from the Wendover area. Also, stay away from the Lee Street area(s). Walker Ave and around there will have good options for rental apts or houses. The areas around there are generally safe though two years ago there was a person who was arrested for accosting women in the area, and in the High Point area. Campus police and city police generally are seen in the area on a regular basis so my girl-friend at that time generally felt safe when I was working late at night, but you will need to take normal precautions.

2. Outdoors: mountian biking/road biking clubs, gear stores, camping areas, hiking, gyms etc???
Excellent area for growing biking/road biking clubs. A lot of gear stores for bikes, camping, fishing, hunting, etc.. As for gyms, I like the Y since it offers me the option of playing volleyball, swimming and lifting. You also sound like someone that would enjoy an evening watching baseball. That would be watching the Greensboro Grasshoppers in the new downtown stadium. Then there is The Greensboro Sportsplex, 2400 16th Street, is a multi-sports facility offering hockey, basketball, volleyball, badminton and soccer.

3. Anyone attended the University there I would love to hear from!
UNC-G - great place with some of the top growing sports programs in the country. Downtown Greensboro has lifted itself up in regards to night life with UNC-G joining a number of other schools in paying for mass transit allowing students to go downtown on the weekend for free.

4. Anything I should check out while I am there for a couple days next week??
I will be coming in from the I 40 West bound. ( I will be staying overnight in Stateville, so anyone with knowledge of that area it would be nice too.)
1) While you are downtown, get a copy of the Rhino. It is a weekly local paper giving print to all the rumors worth printing - especially concerning the workings of the City of Greensboro. I like the paper because it gives a completely different view of the area and what is happen verses the offical newspaper. It also has a good realty section.
2) Check out downtown Greensboro. The old Wachovia building is being redone for Condos/retail while across the street the park is being upgraded/redone in landscaping and ability to have free WiFi.
3) Shopping - check out Friendly Shopping Center and Four Seasons Mall.
4) Try some of our BBQ at Stamey's. A chocolate brownie at Lucky 32.
6) Blinder Tiger on Walker Ave. There you should really get information on UNC-G and the surrounding area.
7) Wake Forest after they win Jan 2nd.

5. Job market for a Social Worker or Admin Sec? ( wife will need a job)
Your wife should be able to get a job as a Social Worker in Greensboro. I say should because cutbacks from State or Federal funding sources have put a squeeze on hiring to some level (you might infer I have some inside knowledge on this subject). If you and the wife would be willing to extend the area where she might find a job - High Point, Winston-Salem and smaller communities between them will be good places to look for a open Social Worker position. Admin Sec - might be easier to come by especially if she has some background in managing executives especially lawyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point