Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2018, 06:17 PM

3 posts, read 3,462 times

Advertisements

Hi. I might be accepting a new job in Kernersville. I was wondering what are some of the better towns to live in. Schools are most important, I have a 7 and 4 year old. We have around a 300k house budget. We would also like to be fairly close to things, not too far out for shopping and what not. We are moving from the philadelphia area so we are used to having 3 of everything pretty close by. Lol. We don't need that but a target or Walmart and a couple grocery options close by.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2018, 06:24 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,371,181 times
Why not just live in Kernersville. Schools are decent, it has most all the shopping you need for daily living, and G'boro and Winston-Salem are close by for more advanced shopping. K'ville is a nice town, a few decent restaurants, its own well regarded hospital, nice neighborhoods, etc. Oak Ridge would be another option.

Old 10-01-2018, 08:46 AM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,514 times
I'd suggest Oak Ridge. Depending on where in K'ville you'd be working, northeastern Davidson County might be worth looking into as well (Wallburg area).

Old 10-01-2018, 09:54 AM

5,922 posts, read 6,461,131 times
Oak Ridge would probably be the best for schools. Is $300k your max budget?

Old 10-01-2018, 12:00 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phillybee View Post
I might be accepting a new job in Kernersville.
To buy? No. I'll always say that in a new transfer situation it's best to rent.
At least until YOU can answer most of those questions above ...based in your own experience.
Allow 12-18 months.

Find a place convenient to work (in Kernersville).
Get established, make some friends, catch your breath.
Then explore the areas and schools within an X mile commute.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:32 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,601,028 times
While I don't think anyone is leading you astray by saying Oak Ridge and Walburg are nice areas (they are), since you said you like being close to shopping like Wal Mart, Target, grocery stores, etc., Kernersville is much better for convenience to most places in the Triad and more self sufficient for basic items, plus there's an established, cute small town downtown there.

Oak Ridge and Walburg both have grocery options but are basically exurbs and feel even more like a bedroom community than Kernersville, which itself has a reputation for being a bedroom community of the Triad's larger cities (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point). You'd likely be driving quite a bit more to get to most places in Oak Ridge or Wallburg (a good 15-20 minutes roughly to get to a Wal Mart or Target from either).

Last edited by Jowel; 10-01-2018 at 03:40 PM..

Old 10-02-2018, 06:31 AM

511 posts, read 510,255 times
Kernersville is central to everything in the Triad. Just get on the highway and you're in Downtown Winston in 10 minutes. Can be in Downtown Greensboro or High Point in about 25 minutes. I grew up in Kernersville and went to school there and I think I'm pretty smart (this is a joke).

Old 10-02-2018, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
While I don't think anyone is leading you astray by saying Oak Ridge and Walburg are nice areas (they are), since you said you like being close to shopping like Wal Mart, Target, grocery stores, etc., Kernersville is much better for convenience to most places in the Triad and more self sufficient for basic items, plus there's an established, cute small town downtown there.

Oak Ridge and Walburg both have grocery options but are basically exurbs and feel even more like a bedroom community than Kernersville, which itself has a reputation for being a bedroom community of the Triad's larger cities (Greensboro, Winston-Salem, and High Point). You'd likely be driving quite a bit more to get to most places in Oak Ridge or Wallburg (a good 15-20 minutes roughly to get to a Wal Mart or Target from either).
It takes us about 15 minutes to get to the Target on New Garden, but supposedly, there was talk of putting some sort of shopping Center, Target or Walmart next to GTCC Cameron Campus in Colfax. There were some beginnings of clearing the land, but that stopped after a couple of days and what had been cleared has since grown back. So, possibly in the near future the Oak Ridge area will have their own Target and/or Walmart. With all of the housing that has been planned or in the process of being built, I'm pretty sure there will be a need for a SuperCenter pretty soon.

Old 10-02-2018, 08:26 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,601,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinsguy37 View Post
It takes us about 15 minutes to get to the Target on New Garden, but supposedly, there was talk of putting some sort of shopping Center, Target or Walmart next to GTCC Cameron Campus in Colfax. There were some beginnings of clearing the land, but that stopped after a couple of days and what had been cleared has since grown back. So, possibly in the near future the Oak Ridge area will have their own Target and/or Walmart. With all of the housing that has been planned or in the process of being built, I'm pretty sure there will be a need for a SuperCenter pretty soon.
That part of the Guilford County certainly has the demographics that retailer gets excited about. I just wonder if the critical mass of population is there quite yet.

If so, it would be interesting to see where a Wal Mart or Target would end up locating. I could be wrong on this but I get the impression that the tone in that area is that people like the area to be rather bucolic, so it seems like some of the residents would try to fight hard against a big retailer (particularly a Wal Mart since Target seems to get a pass easier for whatever reasons). Personally, I can see Wal Mart having their neighborhood market concept in Oak Ridge before they would have a big box super center.

Old 10-03-2018, 07:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
That part of the Guilford County certainly has the demographics that retailer gets excited about. I just wonder if the critical mass of population is there quite yet.

If so, it would be interesting to see where a Wal Mart or Target would end up locating. I could be wrong on this but I get the impression that the tone in that area is that people like the area to be rather bucolic, so it seems like some of the residents would try to fight hard against a big retailer (particularly a Wal Mart since Target seems to get a pass easier for whatever reasons). Personally, I can see Wal Mart having their neighborhood market concept in Oak Ridge before they would have a big box super center.
With all the developments that are being planned so close to 68 - housing developments and apartment buildings - you'll easily have the critical mass. Many of those projects are already underway. I think there is supposed to be at least 80 new homes off of Alcorn (68 side), and a projected 200 new homes being built somewhere behind Oak Ridge Methodist Church. And, there will be new apartment buildings right across the road from GTCC's Colfax campus. There's been new developments along Pleasant Ridge Road as well. Oak Ridge will definitely be able to support a Super Center once all of this has been constructed.

I don't think a Wal-Mart Neighborhood market would work, simply, because Oak Ridge already has two Lowe's grocery stores within the general area, plus a Food Lion up the road on 68. A Target would actually be a welcomed place right there next to the college as it's right on 68.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point