U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-26-2018, 02:02 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,292,859 times

Advertisements

FWIW, we moved from the Portland OR suburbs in 2005...we like the climate here MUCH better. It took a while getting used to the humidity, but I don't mind it now. We first moved to eastern NC (Greenville) - after moving in 2011 to W-S, we've found it to be considerably less humid here compared to eastern NC (though it is still certainly humid).

If you're looking in the $450k range, you probably won't have to worry about areas to avoid as that will most likely put you in a nice neighborhood. That's the price range in Meadowlands, in northeast Davidson County (where we live), which I would recommend except for the fact that the job would be on the northern side of W-S.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 02:35 PM

12 posts, read 7,961 times
Thank you for all the feedback. It is much appreciated.

Old 01-11-2019, 10:14 PM

6 posts, read 11,695 times
Areas to avoid living: Anywhere in City of Winston Salem. High taxes, ridiculous water/sewer rates and spread out, sporadic crime. To focus on the surrounding area, here we go with good possibilities for the proximity you stated: King, Pilot Mtn and Pinnacle, that's it. Anywhere else in the area you will probably not like. Example, a little further north is Surry County, nice but full of drugs, dealers and addicts. Walkertown is ok BUT, 3 main roads lead right to Winston from "Dubtown" and the area is getting too developed. There is really no "town", it is a bedroom community and the people that do work, commute to Greensboro, Winston, High Point and some even to the Charlotte area. If you move here, change your area code, right away...trust me on this. And also, don't come here and tell everyone "Where you're from" and "We don't do that where I'm from". Just assimilate asap but don't fake a southern accent either, you will sound stupid and people will frown upon you. If you're good folks and not liberal loons, just be yourself and you will adjust right in. I could go on forever but you get the point. Oh, public schools suck, especially here. Find a private High School for your kid or home school. Best of luck but keep your options open.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:26 AM

4,984 posts, read 3,019,845 times
^^ I think saying to avoid living anywhere in Winston-Salem is a little extreme along with saying all public schools suck, unless there's just something about a particular private school (or home schooling) that fits your family's needs better and is within your budget. And in Winston-Salem, while it's not typical to find lots of an acre that give you a semi rural feel, it's not impossible, especially at that price range. Yes, there are some not so nice areas but there are also many lovely areas that are likely closer to work, and at that price range ($450K), that puts you in a segment of the market that is upscale for Winston-Salem so it's very unlikely that you'll be in a bad area. Some areas on the northwest side of town (i.e. Pfafftown) or the edge of the west side of town would be a good fit and are quiet.

King is fairly suburban and Pilot Mtn. & Pinnacle are more rural and further away from city amenities but if you don't mind being further out, they are fairly peaceful, relaxed places.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:28 AM

We are pretty far right of being liberal loons. I personally abhor Seattle and all it stands for, am embarrassed to be remotely associated with it to be honest.

The relocation is looking to be very likely. We have been looking mostly at Walkertown and Kernersville primarily due to proximity btw WS and Greensboro. Don't know anything about either of them yet, so thank you for the comments. We really prefer country living as opposed to city anyway, so no plans to be in WS proper anyway. Had not looked as far north as the towns you mention, my work is just west of Maple Chase Golf Course. Those look to be acceptable commute times, given that I currently commute 40 minutes on average now. Still would like to get that down to about 20 minutes but am okay with up to about 30 I guess.

Old 01-12-2019, 11:42 AM

4,984 posts, read 3,019,845 times
It sounds like you're just not feeling Winston-Salem and want to be even more rural, so we can leave that alone and stick with some other ideas that you've mentioned or have already been suggested.

Kernersville is nice but it's growing really fast because a lot of other people like that proximity too.
So if you buy a nice acre that feels rural today, it may not feel rural in 10 years when 300 "luxury" patio homes on 5,000 square ft. lots get built right beside you.

King (or even some rural areas just outside of Winston-Salem between there and King) may be a good fit as far as a close commute, but the closer to Winston-Salem, the more likely you are see the area develop into more of a suburban extension of Winston-Salem and may see more growth right near you (like Kernersville) if you're trying to stick to a more rural/agricultural feel.

As mentioned before, Pilot Mtn. & Pinnacle won't be as convenient to city amenities when you want them, but are far more likely to remain rural for years. Those areas won't have as many people who moved from another part of the country as Kernersville, King, and maybe Walkertown if blending in with the locals is a concern.

Out of the entire area we're talking about, you're not going to find any place as liberal as Seattle if that's not your thing. Winston-Salem may be "liberal" compared to Pinnacle, but in a larger context it's more moderate and nothing like Seattle would be.

Last edited by Jowel; 01-12-2019 at 11:51 AM..

Old 01-12-2019, 11:52 AM

Where we live now it is not Seattle liberal either, but still get a whole lot of that mentality creeping in. Our current proximity to the nearest town is actually quite nice and convenient which we like, but our home is outside city limits in the county. It's actually a real gem of a location, which I am sure we will miss. We have 5 acres now, which is a double-edge sword, at least ours is. It requires way more upkeep than we like and want to simplify that so we can enjoy more things outside of our home.

I am not opposed to WS, but have yet to find any homes with what we are looking for and really feel a county setting will be more to our liking.

Old 01-12-2019, 01:02 PM

31,381 posts, read 69,833,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiknNutz View Post
I am not opposed to WS, but have yet to find any homes with what we are looking for ...
The basic choices available are really nice homes in a very nice suburbia,
rather old homes in rather old but a once very nice suburbi,
newer old homes in a nice suburbia,
and never really nice homes in a marginal suburbia.

Quote:
...and really feel a county setting will be more to our liking.
If you can work from home that can be great.
Did you ever sort out the humidity issues?

Old 01-12-2019, 02:59 PM

6 posts, read 11,695 times
Oh man, have you been to the area that you are describing? #8 Germanton Rd and Hands Mill Rd? If your work is going to be right in that area, no problem. But living anywhere around there, heck no! I am telling you, for where you will be working and what you described you want for living quarters (country, a little land and a nice "feel" in a decent area).... King, Pilot Mt or Pinnacle. Anywhere else will be too far of a commute. King has everything you need to shop, dine, entertain, work out, go to church or get gas. If you want a nice day trip that is close by, Pilot Knob, Hanging Rock parks are awesome. You can also take a short drive to Mt Airy and head up through Virginia and do the Blue Ridge Parkway drive. Stay away from Kernersville, similar to my comment about Walkertown, Waughtown Street in Winston Salem is heavy with Spanish people and Waughtown St turns into Kernersville Rd so hint hint, the Hispanics are buying and renting all of the small, older properties. And K-Ville is overcrowded for a bedroom community, another day trip to walk around downtown would be nice though as we enjoy that (and yes, we rented in Kernersville, so I am credible) and don't tell me I am being racist or anything stupid like that, I am being HONEST. Another warning, Realtors love Kernersville, Belews Creek and Walkertown because there are a lot of people that move here and then figure it out, sell and then move to a better area. Rambling here, just take my post, study it, Google Map the area, visit and make a patient choice. I highly advise to rent before you buy, it will be a blessing, trust me. Ask me, I probably have an answer for you.

Old 01-13-2019, 11:29 AM

Appreciate the comments. Part of my motivation for considering something more central between WS and Greensboro is in the event this job doesn't work out for some reason, there are other similar jobs in my field in Greensboro. Just trying to keep my options open cuz you never know what can happen. The areas you describe, though, sound like good fits. What about Tobaccoville, Rural Hall and Germanton?

An off topic question has to do with fuel prices. Here, gas ranges from about $3.00 to $3.15 and about $3.10 for diesel. Plus we shop at lot at Fred Meyer and can get a good discount on fuel. Just yesterday I got diesel for $2.79. There (WS) I have noticed that diesel is only slightly less than here. I drive a diesel truck and have been on the fence about selling it as I don't really need a diesel anymore...like it and all, but don't need it. I am wondering if you know why that is...why diesel is so much higher there by comparison to gasoline?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point