U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2008, 07:09 AM

108 posts, read 342,008 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking to buy a home in the Greensboro area. We are first time home buyers, so we are looking for a starter home, at least a 2 bedroom 1.5 bath. We don't plan to have children for a few more years. I have found a lot of decent looking homes in the 80k-100k range. I'm just concerned if these are safe neighborhoods.I'm from Wilmington, NC and im used to overpriced starter homes, so these prices in Greensboro look fantastic! Can anyone suggest any safe areas in that price range? We currently live in Asheboro while my wife is finishing photo school. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2008, 10:01 AM

would i be better off looking in the high point/archdale area?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:22 PM

anyone? anyone? Bueller? anyone? bueller?

Old 04-07-2008, 02:48 PM

3,428 posts, read 9,248,639 times
Well, you live here, so you should have some realistic ideas about home prices. I'm having a hard time buying that there's anything decent out there, especially if it's in a nice area, for anything less than twice those amounts. I'm not a professional, but it seems to me that homes priced in that range are either foreclosures or mobile homes. Archdale, maybe, although anything under 150K seems sketchy to me.

Good areas of Greensboro:

Wendover Ave. West of I-40 out to and including the Skeet Club Rd. area of High Point, and North up Eastchester. Friendly Ave, Market St., Guilford College Rd., and the area around Bryan Blvd. Elm Street and Battleground North of Downtown. Anywhere around Lake Brandt or Buffalo Lake. Some areas around UNCG. Holden Rd.

Also, don't rule out other towns like Colfax, Whitsett, Oak Ridge, Jamestown.

Old 04-13-2008, 08:24 PM

210 posts, read 445,840 times
I know almost nothing about Greensboro, except that I love the airport! It's easy to access compared to Logan and TF Greene.

When I was looking for a home in the WS area, I checked news in the local area, saw where most of the problems were reported, and ruled those places out. Once I got here, I found out I was right. How about checking on the outskirts of the city. High Point seemed to have reasonably priced homes, but I'm not sure about the neighborhoods. I know that Winston-Salem has new housing in the range you need, but it may be too far from Greensboro for you.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 AM

627 posts, read 1,863,348 times
You can find houses in good areas for under $110K. You need a good RE agent.

Old 04-16-2008, 06:57 AM

thanx guys! Does anyone know anything about Glenwood? I found a nice rent to own home there. Im not sure if glenwood is a small city outside of greensboro or a neighborhood in greensboro.

Old 04-16-2008, 11:50 AM

525 posts, read 1,924,075 times
Glenwood and Piedmont Heights are two neighborhoods (lumped together as Glenwood) that are just off lee street south of UNCG. There are many, many nice homes there and the neighborhood is on the way up with the help of the very active neighborhood association. You wouldn't need to rent to own there- you can probably just outright buy a nice place. Now Silver and Dillard are a little sketchy, but the rest of the neighborhood just keeps going up in value. I just sold a house on McCormick for 95k and my house on Lovett street closes on the 25th.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

oh and I still own 3 houses there, and was president of the neighborhood association for 3 years, so I know Glenwood!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:09 AM

Thumbs up thanx

thanx for the info Yourhometriad. The funny thing is the ad i saw was a house on silver ave. I guess i should stay away from that one. I'd like to buy ouright. But my wife and I have so-so credit. I'm not sure where we stand as far as a home loan goes. Is their a website where i might find more on the glenwood area? We are also looking in the high point archdale area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point