U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2008, 08:43 PM

8 posts, read 21,643 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the information - It's good to get advice from locals.
We live in Nashville and have only had a chance to get to Greensboro once so far (since we found out we were moving there). Before that, I'd only been there a few times to visit friends at UNCG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2011, 01:59 PM

1 posts, read 825 times
Wink McAdoo Heights circa 1930

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sticky Fingers View Post
A bit of trivia:
McAdoo heights is named after NBA Star Bob McAdoo who is from Greensboro. He came back there to retire afte his career. I used to talk to him at various stores and restaurants on occasion...LOL
Sorry to contradict the above statement but there is no way that McAdoo Heights was named for the above mentioned player. Your information is highly inaccurate.

I'm a former Greensboro native that grew up in Northeast Greensboro. That area of Greensboro I know like the back of my hand. I was born November 1, 1949 and remember it well. One of the eighteen A & P stores that was started in Greensboro was located in the State Street area of McAdoo Heights in the late 1930's.

In 1955, my Mother's seamstress, Mrs. Self who was the seamstress for the Miss NC Pageants lived in McAdoo Heights.

So from information concerning Mr. McAdoo, he was born Sept 1951 and had a 14 year playing history, was drafted in 1972....now I can't see the correlation at all especially since I remember going to McAdoo Heights to the Star Theater ran by Mr. and Mrs. Lashley before it turned xrated as early as 1964...and it was called McAdoo Heights then. In other words, according to my brother in law who is about 18 years older than me, he said it's been called McAdoo Heights as far back as he can remember...so your Mr. McAdoo is incorrect as well.

Old 08-23-2011, 07:01 AM

1,255 posts, read 2,105,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deborahjean View Post
Sorry to contradict the above statement but there is no way that McAdoo Heights was named for the above mentioned player. Your information is highly inaccurate.

I'm a former Greensboro native that grew up in Northeast Greensboro. That area of Greensboro I know like the back of my hand. I was born November 1, 1949 and remember it well. One of the eighteen A & P stores that was started in Greensboro was located in the State Street area of McAdoo Heights in the late 1930's.

In 1955, my Mother's seamstress, Mrs. Self who was the seamstress for the Miss NC Pageants lived in McAdoo Heights.

So from information concerning Mr. McAdoo, he was born Sept 1951 and had a 14 year playing history, was drafted in 1972....now I can't see the correlation at all especially since I remember going to McAdoo Heights to the Star Theater ran by Mr. and Mrs. Lashley before it turned xrated as early as 1964...and it was called McAdoo Heights then. In other words, according to my brother in law who is about 18 years older than me, he said it's been called McAdoo Heights as far back as he can remember...so your Mr. McAdoo is incorrect as well.
This site talks about local grocery stores back to ~1930, including McAdoo Heights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point