U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2010, 09:10 AM

525 posts, read 1,927,508 times

Advertisements

Why not try Kernersville? That way, you can be 15-12 minutes from Winston-Salem, Greensboro and High Point. You open yourself up to more job opportunities and fun things to do, yet still retain a small town feel. So many deals in the area!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2010, 09:48 AM

2 posts, read 1,903 times
My husband and I are also considering a big move! We are coming from Denver, CO and I've looked everywhere from Kinston (out of the question) to (so far) Hickory and I'm headed down to Charlotte tomorrow. I've been here for 2 weeks and haven't felt "right" about anywhere so far except Hickory. Not sure why. We need a place we can settle down and find a career oriented job. Both of us.
I've looked in the Research Triangle Park area of Cary/Durham but I just don't "feel" it there.

I am entry level Marketing, love grass roots going out meeting people and promoting a product I feel strongly about. We owned a portable storage company that we recently sold in Colorado and I'd like to get back into something like that because it was selling a great service that people could actually use. I am interested in getting into a small business, maybe just starting out (or not) and just going out to other businesses or general public and promote that business.
Hickory/Charlotte is promising for us if anyone has any suggestions. We aren't moving if I can't find a job in the next week or two so I'm under pressure here.
Any suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance!!

Oh, one really big issue I'm running into is we have 4 dogs and we LOVE our dogs. I'm coming here in part so we can have a big place for them to run and play. They are big dogs and we treat them like our children. They don't chew everything in the house. I've trained them to be well behaved and I would have 10 more if I had the place!! We are clean people and keep a clean house.
Yes, we need to rent for now.

Wendy

Old 03-06-2010, 10:36 AM

14 posts, read 32,357 times
Mullin is a very well respected (and big) marketing firm in Winston. They just laid off some people, though, so i don't know how much hiring they're doing right now. from people i know who've worked there, it's an extremely difficult first two years, but after that you're golden, plus "Mullin" on your resume looks great to other area firms.

family-wise, I think you'd really like Winston-Salem over Greensboro. I'm currently in Greensboro but did a couple years' time in Winston, which (to me, anyway) just has a cleaner feel (whatever that means) and is very family-oriented. Granted, that also means a little less to do. You shouldn't have a problem finding something in a nice area that's under 200,000, either.

Old 03-07-2010, 11:04 AM
PDD

8,774 posts, read 14,926,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yourhometriad View Post
Why not try Kernersville? That way, you can be 15-12 minutes from Winston-Salem, Greensboro and High Point. You open yourself up to more job opportunities and fun things to do, yet still retain a small town feel. So many deals in the area!
I would also look in Oak Ridge, Summerfield, and a little further out from Greensboro is Stokesdale. I drove around these three a couple of years ago and I like all three with Summerfield being my favorite.
Try one of the websites that allows comparisons to where you now live and see what fits best. I would recommend a site but it would just get cut. Do a search for best places and see what comes up.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:50 PM

3 posts, read 4,670 times
Default advice

I read your information about Greensboro. My daughter and I are coming up at the end of March to look for places to live and for me to get my resumes distributed. I am a teacher and have been following the teacher situation in the Asheville area but not Greensboro or W/S, which I am hearing more about now. I am Ntl. Board Certified so hopefully that will help.

I am looking for a place that is more suburban/rural. Definitely not in the city. She will be in 10th grade and I am looking for a good private school or public school for her as well. She has always been in private school but if the public school system is comparable, I would be willing to check into it further.

The goal date is to be moving to NC on July 1st or within that week. I would like to rent for the 1st year, so I want to be able to move before school starts.

Let me know if you have more information. We will be in the Waynesville area in 3 weeks and staying for a little over a week. I am hope that I will be able to meet a realtor and get a contract on a house within that time.

Thank you.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:54 PM

3 posts, read 4,670 times
Default same boat as I am in

I read your information. I am looking to relocate in the beginning of July but am clueless about the W/S area. I have focused on the Asheville/Waynesville area but now want to enlarge my search. Have you had any positive feedback at all? If so, thanks for sharing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point