U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2008, 10:11 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,017,364 times

Advertisements

thanks for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 10:46 AM

22,974 posts, read 58,581,142 times
They both are pretty with their own since of character and natural beauty.
They both have their own since of a few sketchy areas.
I think Winston has more rolling hills terrain.
You should visit both and see which one will meet your needs in life more before deciding.
Which ever is decided on the other city is a short distance away.
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/coastal-north-carolina/"]Coastal [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/western-north-carolina/"]Western [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/charlotte/"]Charlotte [/URL]
[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forum/york-lancaster-counties/"]York & Lancaster[/URL]

[URL="http://www.city-data.com/forumtos.html"]Terms of Service. No advertising, no copyrighted material, no personal attacks[/URL]

Old 04-08-2008, 02:37 PM

2,031 posts, read 6,138,691 times
Default Pick One

I live 2 hours from both cities and I like Greensboro, although Winston Salem people seem much friendlier to me as a visitor. Greensboro city traffic seems to flow much better than W-S. and there seems to be a lot of green everywhere, hence "Greensboro"? The people in Greensboro seem to like their parks and downtown seems a lot less congested, although it seems rather dead to me, since Greensboro is a large city now. With all of the new road
construction in Carolina I hope you like your car. I think the area from Charlotte/W-S/Greensboro/Raleigh is growing together into a major metropolis. Good Luck!!

Old 04-10-2008, 06:13 PM

210 posts, read 445,840 times
It depends on what you consider pretty. I love the Winston-Salem area, which is why I chose it. There is so much variety. I do not find traffic congestion here at all except down by the Hanes Mall. Many parts of the city are in the process of growing, but the rolling hills, lush green fields, picturesque ponds, WONDERFUL flowering trees, and the lovely residential streets near the center of the city with the wide variety of architectural style are all appealing to me. Even the shopping centers have trees and greenery!

I love watching Greensboro when flying into the airport, enjoyed the few areas I have explored there, and find it more congested than W-S. I liked both cities better than the Raleigh area.

As far as crime, both cities have their areas where I wouldn't go at night (or in the day). But then, I came from a city that had the same problems. It's everywhere.

Old 05-09-2008, 10:06 AM

5,661 posts, read 24,668,076 times
The NC State Bureau of Investigation (SBI) ranks the City of Winston-Salem as having a lower per-capita violent crime rate than the City of Greensboro in 2006. Their annual Crime Report will be issued next month covering NC crime in 2007.

2006 SBI Report - http://sbi2.jus.state.nc.us/crp/publ...%20Summary.pdf

Old 05-09-2008, 12:00 PM

247 posts, read 916,455 times
I would lean towards Winston Salem. I have always felt safer there compared to Greensboro.

Old 05-09-2008, 01:54 PM

71 posts, read 257,509 times
Greensboro and Winston are fairly equal in their beauty and safety, in my eyes. This comes from someone that was born and raised here (since 1987).

Although the statistics do report that Greensboro does have a higher incidence of crime, Winston's crime rate has increased 10% while Greensboro's has remained relatively steady at a 1% increase. This is lower than Raleigh's which is at 2%.

Neither city is dangerous, and I've never felt like I haven't been safe, even in the higher crime areas of both cities. The point I am trying to make is that, do not believe the hype that might come from news reports. Come and see what each city has to offer. I would not mind living in either one and making a living here.

Greensboro seems to have more parks, and more of a diverse feel than Winston, but that city also has a beautiful downtown, which is comparable to Greensboro's.

The only thing I do not like about either city is that they are not very friendly towards mass transit and other forms of transport other than the automobile. There have been slow moves to change this, however. Greensboro has gotten more bike-friendly these days which is great, especially with gasoline hitting almost $3.70 a gallon.

I do regret that the Parks and Recreation bond did not pass last Tuesday though, that really would've made the quality of life even better here.

Old 05-11-2008, 10:39 AM

3,491 posts, read 7,859,236 times
I agree that it depends on the definition of pretty. What I love about Winston-Salem is the topography. There are alot of big hills in the city and that adds to the beauty of the city making it more of a foothill city. Greensboro is more flat but it has alot of green and beautiful parks. The highways in Greensboro are much newer and cleaner. In terms of crime, Greensboro is probabally a little safer. Crime is a little higher in Winston-Salem due to the growing number of gangs that have taken root there.

Old 08-27-2008, 02:58 PM

46 posts, read 157,929 times
Default thanks!

Thanks, guys. Contemplating a move for Mack Trucks to the Triad area and your information is excellent. Please keep it coming!

Old 08-28-2008, 07:59 AM

127 posts, read 555,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roanoker 4 View Post
there seems to be a lot of green everywhere, hence "Greensboro"?
Greensboro's name comes from a revolutionary war hero, Nathanael Greene.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point