Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:39 PM

6 posts, read 40,264 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move to NC in about a year. I live in upstate NY with a couple acres in the country. I'd like to find a nice rural town where I'm within a half hour of a city (Greensboro ?) and be able to have animals without any restrictions. Trees, some hills, pretty scenery and good schools are important as well as affordable ($100,000 or less) housing with a couple acres would be nice. Does anyone have info about some small towns. I have read some threads on Asheboro, but that's kinda big for me. I'm wondering maybe about smaller towns around the area. Thanks for any help. Also any info about area wildlife I should be careful of would be great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 09:38 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
Try cities between Greensboro and Asheboro like Trinity, Denton, Randleman, Climax, Snow Camp,
or on the other side Belews Creek, Madison, Danbury

The problem you may encounter however seeking out small cities that many of them what I call Generational Family Towns and that not a bad thing it just you will have streets that most of the family lives on brother house beside mom and dads, cousins up the road, and an aunt across the street making these tight knit communities making it harder for newcomers to adjust. It also reduces these area from becoming very diverse in their population.
Mainly because they know alot of people in town due to church gatherings, pig pickins, hunting and fishing expeditions and high school football games.
It not a bad thing it the way they are brought up to protect their family from outsiders who come in expect change when things are working fine the way they are.
Not they wont extend their friendly southern hospitality just makes it harder to connect.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:07 AM

2 posts, read 7,557 times
Hi, I live in Pittsboro, NC which is a wonderful little town (about 2,500 people) about 45 miles from Greensboro, 20 miles from Chapel Hill and about 45 miles from Raleigh, Pinehurst and Southern Pines. It is a marvelous little town with a thriving arts community and the look and feel of 1950's America. It's a very special place, but you certainly won't find anything in the 100K range. I don't think you'll find anything in that range anywhere in the country. That aside, you might want to consider Pittsboro. Best wishes. Leslie

Old 04-13-2008, 06:42 PM

2 posts, read 7,535 times
I live in Mt. Airy NC, the home of Andy Griffith. It's about an hour from Greensboro, and only 40 mins from Winston Salem. It's a cute, historic little town and prices aren't too high. Good luck with your move!

Old 04-14-2008, 11:58 AM

57 posts, read 198,097 times
Pittsboro might be more expensive that what you indicated you wanted to pay. Snow Camp is not in between Asheboro and Greensboro, but is located in southern Alamance County (which may be an area you want to consider as it is country living but not too far a drive from Greensboro, Burlington, Asheboro, Siler City and Pittsboro. I don't know much about how good the schools are in most of these areas, but I did know someone who taught in the southeastern guilford area and he had a very low opinion of the schools there.

According to my realtor when I moved to Alamance County, Southern Alamance High School is supposed to be the second best in Alamance County. It is more of a county school (kids attend who's parents are working class folks for the most part).

Old 04-16-2008, 11:53 AM

525 posts, read 2,122,692 times
Pleasant Garden would do ya fine, and so would Randleman.

Old 04-21-2008, 08:29 PM

8 posts, read 25,234 times
The Stokesdale area is just north of GSO and is growing--very nice and quiet. Also, the following towns in Rockingham County are north of GSO and would be perfect for your animals and price range. Many are moving into the towns of Monroeton, Williamsburg, Reidsville, Madison. I believe you'll like it. The people are really friendly and yes, most know each other, but to me, that's a good thing. They look out for each other and they'll welcome you!

Old 04-24-2008, 12:14 PM

6 posts, read 40,264 times
Thanks so much for all of the info. I have been checking out the towns you guys mentioned online. Has anyone had any problems with wildlife eating pets (panthers, bears, wild boars?) We had a freaky problem with that while in FL for a couple months and don't ever want to go thru that again!

Also does anyone have any opinions on the school systems with any of these towns, or what ones you think are the best? Would you send your kid to a public or charter school? Thanks a lot for all of the help!

Old 07-16-2008, 01:22 AM

16 posts, read 53,482 times
ny catwoman,

I teach in the Randolph County School system and LOVE it. If you choose to live in Randolph County, I would recommend the SW area of the county. I relocated from Indiana in 2004 and my kids and I are doing quite well! Good luck!

Old 07-16-2008, 11:58 AM

525 posts, read 2,122,692 times
lemme see if I can get most of em.
Randleman, Asheboro, Liberty, Pleasant Garden, Whitsett, Gibsonville, Mcleansville, colfax, Trinity, Denton, Thomasville, Lexington, Welcome, Kernersville, Summerfield, Brown Summit, Madison, Mayodan, Reidsville, Osceola, Stokesdale, Colfax are all I can think of at one time. These small towns are all within about 30 mins of Greensboro proper.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point