U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 PM

779 posts, read 2,933,201 times

Advertisements

Hi!

We are moving, it's a fact now, and it will be soon - beginning of May. Once my online college is done in July, I'm wondering what should I do, see, and where to go with my little one this summer? Where can I go to best meet other mommies and find playgroups?

I would be a SAHM (stay at home mom), and expecting #2 in October, I'm 38 and getting my BA in Psych. Planning on going into Counseling for my Masters - at least I was until something changed in February! LOL

Anyone have any suggestions? Where do people with kids go to meet other people with kids, and find a potential friend for themselves? (other than here of course! ) Thanks for any help and advice. I'm kind of a shy person. I'm great at ice-breaking, but I have a difficult time maintaining relationships sometimes!

Thanks everyone!
Angie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2008, 02:38 PM

627 posts, read 1,865,019 times
I would try meetup.com. I would think they would have playgroups in Greensboro.

Old 04-09-2008, 06:38 AM

93 posts, read 318,576 times
try this website

TriadMommies.com--The Triad Area of North Carolina's Mom-to-Mom Connection

Old 04-09-2008, 08:20 AM

4,899 posts, read 16,633,323 times
i personally am not into mommy groups and that type of thing. i have found neighbors with children around the same age as my 2yr old son and basically we go to eachothers homes to play. there is no obligation, no driving to meet anyone etc. in the process i have made freinds with their parents.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:51 PM

676 posts, read 2,804,457 times
I have tried the SAHM & Dad group through meet-up.com for Winston-Salem and it has been okay. I find people to not be as friendly unless you approach them first. I suggest getting a membership for the Children's Museum. There is one in Greensboro and in W-S. Once you start going to the same park you will probably start to see the same moms and strike up conversations that way too. There is a Piedmont Parent magazine that is free at all of the grocery stores and it can be helpful for ideas and places to go. I have a 2 yr old and I am also pregnant in my 30's and I have been pleasantly surprised to find I am meeting other moms around my age. I thought for sure I would be one of the "older" moms hanging out with people in their early 20's. I have found that I have to force myself to be more approachable and outgoing, but once you make the first move most moms seem receptive. I found a few good friends within 3 months of moving to W-S, but now that I am on year two here, I still only have the same 3 friends!!!

Old 04-15-2008, 08:17 AM

12 posts, read 37,976 times
What town will you be moving to. I am in your age group and love to meet new people. All my friends have children. In fact, my best friend is part of the local mops (mothers of preschoolers) group. We can meet and go from there. If you need any real estate advise during your move, let me know. I can be reached at ajcourts@ColorMeRealty.com. Best wishes!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:22 AM

We're moving to Greensboro, north side, to an apartment for the time being. We want to get to know the area alot better before we decide on buying a house or townhome, and there is still time in this market I suppose. Besides, we won't have access to our down payment until later this year, close to when the baby is due.

The Mops thing sound kinda neat. I'd love to give you a shout once we are all settled in. I think my Mom may be flying up to help us some with the move, which would be Godsend, too! What part of town are you in?

Old 04-15-2008, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enlightenme View Post
I have tried the SAHM & Dad group through meet-up.com for Winston-Salem and it has been okay. I find people to not be as friendly unless you approach them first. I suggest getting a membership for the Children's Museum. There is one in Greensboro and in W-S. Once you start going to the same park you will probably start to see the same moms and strike up conversations that way too. There is a Piedmont Parent magazine that is free at all of the grocery stores and it can be helpful for ideas and places to go. I have a 2 yr old and I am also pregnant in my 30's and I have been pleasantly surprised to find I am meeting other moms around my age. I thought for sure I would be one of the "older" moms hanging out with people in their early 20's. I have found that I have to force myself to be more approachable and outgoing, but once you make the first move most moms seem receptive. I found a few good friends within 3 months of moving to W-S, but now that I am on year two here, I still only have the same 3 friends!!!
I'm excited to visit the Children's Museum!!! I think they might have a pass so we could go every so often, which would be cool. The idea about going to same park alot seems like a good one. This area (DC metro) there is never anyone regular anywhere, not sure why. And lots of people here are quite standoffish, or just downright rude. And it's good to hear about the age groups, too - it seems more the trend to have kids later than earlier, it's becoming more and more common.

I may try the meetup.com too....take a look at what's on there. Do you think it is easy to try and meet people from W-S for groups? Or is it too far away for regular meetups? I haven't done the drive there yet, so not sure. Also with Kernersville. Thanks for your input!

Old 04-15-2008, 10:27 AM

What about the Asheboro Zoo - worth a day trip?

Old 04-15-2008, 01:02 PM

676 posts, read 2,804,457 times
There is a Kernersville meet-up group that is more intimate and small. I had a hard time getting to things because it was a 30 minute drive for me, but from Greensboro it is only about 15 minutes to Kernersville. I know there is a large Greensboro meet-up group too. I would just join (membership is usually only $3 or so bucks a year) and read their message boards and check their calendar for ideas. I actually did that a few months before I moved here and it helped me get to know where to go for kid stuff. The W-S meetup often has zoo playdates. It is worth the drive, I am about 50 minutes from the zoo, not sure from Greensboro. Both the zoo and the museum have great yearly passes. It is well worth gettting one and I would say the majority of moms out here get both. There is one museum pass you can buy for only $20 or so more that includes grandparents and allows you to go to either W-S or Greensboro museums. I think I am going to get that one when mine expires next month. They have story times and other activities too. Great way to meet people if you are friendly. The parks in W-S seem to always have the same moms, so I imagine Greensboro would be the same way. I have just noticed if you make the first move, the moms will be friendly back. People are pretty friendly out here and some neighborhoods are really social. Mine isn't, but it could be because I live on a cul-de-sac in the outskirts of W-S where it is more quiet and reserved. My friends who live in the Ardmore in W-S know their whole street and have neighborhood parties. It is really family orientated out here, so you shouldn't have any problems meeting people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point