Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2008, 01:35 PM

628 posts, read 2,069,374 times

Advertisements

Has anyone had a problem with dying trees because of the drought?
I had a tree die two years ago. Another died this year. And the arborist now tells me that two more are dead. It's a real shame because these are 50 yr old trees.
Anyone else having trees die?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 02:21 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,489,693 times
My mom live in the Triad and she lost this beautiful 50 year old white pine tree last year.
And an oak prior year.

Problem with a drought or the lack of rain it takes two years to know if it killed your trees.
If the area you are in is not under water restrictions it would be a good idea to take a hose and give them a good watering.

She has this other 50 year old I guess out of desperation for roots to get water is pulling up her driveway to try to get to the other side which is a potential problem because that is where her septic system is.
Call your county agriculture department and find out how much water your type of trees might need and how often to water them.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:33 PM

Hi Sunny-

I did not know about the two year delay for dead trees, that makes me even more scared! Trust me I would had been watering the trees, but they are at a rental I own, it's not like the tenant would water them.

Old 04-09-2008, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_Random View Post
Hi Sunny-

I did not know about the two year delay for dead trees, that makes me even more scared! Trust me I would had been watering the trees, but they are at a rental I own, it's not like the tenant would water them.
That really bites since your not always there. They would not have to be water daily since ground is not as dry at root structure.
You might have someone at agricuture office see if they have some kind of tree test if that exists and also see if there is a disease spreading.

Old 04-10-2008, 02:10 PM

Another good idea, thanks Sunny!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
That really bites since your not always there. They would not have to be water daily since ground is not as dry at root structure.
You might have someone at agricuture office see if they have some kind of tree test if that exists and also see if there is a disease spreading.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:39 AM

93 posts, read 354,718 times
50 year old trees do not die from seasonal droughts.

what kind of trees are they?

Old 04-15-2008, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDad View Post
50 year old trees do not die from seasonal droughts.

what kind of trees are they?
This was not a normal seasonal drought we had this year. I am more than confident this state forum will see higher than normal requests for tree removal requests about summer time of next year. Call your agriculture department they will know
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point