Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 06:42 AM

19 posts, read 121,792 times

Advertisements

I need the opinion of some people who have lived in NC for quite some time, as I have only been here for about a year and a half, from PA. I have applied to UNCG and ECU for my Masters in Speech Langauge Pathology and my Fiance has applied for his Bachelors in Marketing. Which school is ranked better academically and has a better reputation? ... not only within the state but outside the state as well, as I may move again when I may finished. I am having a difficult time finding this information. I have visited UNCG and plan on visiting ECU within the next 2 weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2008, 12:36 PM

63 posts, read 228,675 times
I got my BS from ECU and loved it. The school is bigger, has a lot more to offer than UNCG does. Rank wise, I think ECU is ranked higher-but it depends more on the program than the school as a whole.

ECU has a reputation as a party school, but it's really not that bad. Especially being a graduate student, you wouldn't have to worry about that.

Personally, I work right next to UNCG at another college in Greensboro and I would choose ECU over UNCG anyday. That atmosphere is stale and most of the professors I've met are rude.

I love ECU, give it 2 thumbs up! (not to mention you're only 1 hr from the beach)

Old 04-10-2008, 10:21 PM

17 posts, read 90,462 times
No disrespect to the prior poster, but I could not be more opposite in my opinion. I completed my first 2 years of undergraduate at ECU and left because I hated (and I mean HATED) the town of Greenville. I transferred to UNC-G and loved it so much I am completing my MBA there right now. I understand that Greenville has changed a lot in the 8 years since I have left, but there is very little to do in the town. The only thing that I missed was football, but even that was not enough to make up for the school and the town of Greenville. UNC-G campus is beautiful and the support they have available for students is amazing. I think that you will have to visit ECU and see what you think before making that decision though.

Old 04-11-2008, 06:58 AM

Everyone is free to have their own opinion, yes the town of Greenville doesn't have much to do, but if you're there for school..that is what I focused on. PLUS you're only 1 hr from Raleigh..which there is plenty to do. The school itself is amazing and if you haven't been there in 8 years...you're totally behind. The school is much bigger than it was 8 years ago, they are now adding a dental school. Greenville itself has built up as well. Having just graduated last May I have a better prospective of the school in its current condition, no offense.

BUT with that said, the two schools are very different. You have to go visit both yourself and just talk with people..current graduate students in your area and you'll know which one is right for you!

ECU was right for me, UNCG wasn't (yes I even applied to UNCG for graduate school, but decided against it..just wasn't my style)!

Goodluck with everything.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:35 AM

799 posts, read 3,227,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ECUJenn View Post
UNC-G campus is beautiful and the support they have available for students is amazing.
I also liked the UNCG campus very much on our visit! I liked the magnolia trees. mmmmmmm

when you say support, what do you mean exactly? Are they good at Financial Aid at the post-baccalaureate level? Housing? I'd like to know more what you mean about that.

About a year or two after this next baby of mine here is born, I will be going back either for my Masters in Counseling, or i might pursue the Human Resources route. How do you like the MBA program there? Thanks for helping answer some of these questions!

Old 04-17-2008, 09:41 AM

though you weren't asking me, just FYI the Masters program for counseling is one of the BEST in NC. Top 5 I do believe. I applied for it and didn't get in, they only take about 25 students a year. So have good GRE scores or a great GPA! Goodluck. It's a good program.

Old 08-06-2008, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 9,781 times
UNCG! All the way around better. Better school, better town!

Old 05-08-2009, 04:52 PM

1 posts, read 9,347 times
Default Rankings

UNCG has a far better reputation than ECU as far as school rankings. According to the US News and World Report (2008), UNCG is ranked 30th in the nation for graduate programs in the United States. The only North Carolina school that is ranked higher is UNC-Chapel Hill at number 18. ECU is ranked 87. I am in no way knocking ECU as I know many competent SLPs that graduated from there. I am just providing some data.

I am a student at UNCG currently and love it! The program is very demanding, but rewarding.

Hope this helps!

Rankings - Speech-Language Pathology - Graduate Schools - Education - US News and World Report

Old 05-09-2009, 08:34 AM

7,084 posts, read 14,862,875 times
I graduated from UNC-G as well, great school, all sorts of aid for students, financial, scholastic, recreational, academic, emotional (I was somewhat surprised to find out what sort of developmental problems home-schooled students had, adjusting to being in class with others). It is a well balanced, student oriented institution a very pleasant change from U.Va, wherein I was but a number. I found faculty very easy to speak with, they were polite, friendly, even humorous and seemed to be concerned for my educational experience. Having not attended ECU, at best any opinion I have and would relate, would be hearsay. I do know that UNC-G is rated highly for it's academics.

Last edited by Dusty Rhodes; 05-09-2009 at 08:44 AM..

Old 05-09-2009, 05:34 PM

2,119 posts, read 4,168,314 times
UNCG is one of the best kept secrets in the south for universities. Beautiful Campus, many conveniences and Raleigh is just an hour 15 min away as well as the lovely NC mountains and wonderful lakes in Virginia , all about 1.5 hour drive. I have had a daughter and son go to colleges here in NC (one private another NCState)and grad school out of state. They both have stated if it wasn't for the fact UNCG was in their home city they would have loved to attend. They had lots of friends undergrad as well as grad students who enjoyed their time there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point