Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2019, 06:37 PM

275 posts, read 232,499 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackro70 View Post
Says who? I'm also a NC native and have lived in the Triangle almost 50 years. I've seen RTP grow from just IBM and Burroughs Welcome to what it is today. I was here before I-40 existed between Durham and Raleigh and US 70 was the only major route between the two cities. So, you do not know more than me. Like I said, without Durham there is no RTP.
We'll have to agree to disagree on Durham's importance to RTP's development. The obvious reality is the other way around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2019, 07:36 PM

1,206 posts, read 1,055,716 times
Quote:
This data is incorrect. According to the 2018 US census estimates, the population of Greensboro is 294,722 and the population of Durham is 274,291. Approx. ~20,000 difference in population and that number has been decreasing every year. I'm not saying Durham will catch Greensboro in the next 5 years, but if this trend continues Durham will eventually become the third largest city in the state. From 2017-2018 more people moved to Durham than Raleigh. You can see these numbers by going US Census bureau and clicking the Population Estimates link.
Correct. Yes, the talk a few years ago may have been that Durham's jump would happen more quickly than it's likely going to... but that jump is still highly likely to happen. Not to mention, a lot of Greensboro's growth over the last couple decades has been due to annexation... not the genuine attraction of people to the city.

But over the last few years, here are the populations:

2018:
Greensboro: 294,722 Durham: 274,291 Difference: 20,431

2017:
Greensboro: 290,222 Durham: 267,743 Difference: 22,479

2010:
Greensboro: 269,666 Durham: 228,330 Difference: 41,336

In other words, on average, Durham is gaining on Greensboro by about 2000-2500 people every year. At this rate, Durham will still catch Greensboro by the 2030 census. Most likely, Durham will catch Greensboro sometime in the later half of the 20s. Heck, in 2010, Durham was actually slightly smaller than Winston-Salem. Now, it's closer in size to Greensboro in just 8 years.

Old 05-28-2019, 08:50 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
Thats absurd, of course it has to do with scale. Its like saying a new company employing 100 people doesn't have the same impact on a city of 10,000 people as a new company employing 1,000 in a city of 100,000 people.
It depends on the nature of the companies. Duke and HPU are different kinds of universities; Duke's status as a top-tier research university results in high-value jobs located in Durham that HPU doesn't have the capacity to produce. That's a strong economic impact that goes well beyond people directly employed by the university.

Old 05-29-2019, 01:08 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,960,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
Correct. Yes, the talk a few years ago may have been that Durham's jump would happen more quickly than it's likely going to... but that jump is still highly likely to happen. Not to mention, a lot of Greensboro's growth over the last couple decades has been due to annexation... not the genuine attraction of people to the city.

But over the last few years, here are the populations:

2018:
Greensboro: 294,722 Durham: 274,291 Difference: 20,431

2017:
Greensboro: 290,222 Durham: 267,743 Difference: 22,479

2010:
Greensboro: 269,666 Durham: 228,330 Difference: 41,336

In other words, on average, Durham is gaining on Greensboro by about 2000-2500 people every year. At this rate, Durham will still catch Greensboro by the 2030 census. Most likely, Durham will catch Greensboro sometime in the later half of the 20s. Heck, in 2010, Durham was actually slightly smaller than Winston-Salem. Now, it's closer in size to Greensboro in just 8 years.
Hmmm, last i heard from a friend that works for the city is that Greensboro was around 304.144 as of april, so i guess that was a mistake if not true, interesting numbers, it will be quite the race.

Old 05-29-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Says who? I'm also a NC native and have lived in the Triangle almost 50 years. I've seen RTP grow from just IBM and Burroughs Welcome to what it is today. I was here before I-40 existed between Durham and Raleigh and US 70 was the only major route between the two cities. So, you do not know more than me. Like I said, without Durham there is no RTP.
The creation of RTP was dependent on the research universities in the Triangle and not so much the cities where they happened to be located. Had Duke remained in Randolph County where it originated, there's a good chance that RTP would stand for Research Triad Park today.

Old 05-29-2019, 09:02 AM

185 posts, read 127,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
The creation of RTP was dependent on the research universities in the Triangle and not so much the cities where they happened to be located. Had Duke remained in Randolph County where it originated, there's a good chance that RTP would stand for Research Triad Park today.
When I say Durham, Duke shoud be inferred. RTP would not exist if Raleigh was the only city in the area. I said Durham and Chapel Hilll and the institutions inside those cities is what makes RTP possible. And if Duke would have remained in Randolph county, most likely it wouldn't have been a Research Triad Park because there are no other two universities in the Triad comparable to UNC and NC State in size. There was a reason the state leaders chose Durham county for RTP, the large educated workforce this area provides.

Old 05-29-2019, 11:46 AM

Quote:
When I say Durham, Duke shoud be inferred. RTP would not exist if Raleigh was the only city in the area. I said Durham and Chapel Hilll and the institutions inside those cities is what makes RTP possible. And if Duke would have remained in Randolph county, most likely it wouldn't have been a Research Triad Park because there are no other two universities in the Triad comparable to UNC and NC State in size. There was a reason the state leaders chose Durham county for RTP, the large educated workforce this area provides.
The sizes of UNC and NC State help for sure, but it's their status as research universities that is most significant. But UNC and NC State pack a good one-two punch even without Duke, and in such a scenario the Triangle would still most likely have landed RTP simply because it needed it more when it was established. The Triad was the largest and most prosperous region of the state at the time and Raleigh would've still had influence as the state capital. It's a little fun to imagine "what if" scenarios though.

Old 07-03-2019, 09:24 PM

10 posts, read 11,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
And I'm not saying that there's ZERO coverage on W-S. But nowhere near the level of Greensboro. You had to dig back to 2017 just to come up with four news stories. I've probably seen that as many or more stories on Project Slugger, which hasn't even started construction yet.

Don't let selection bias get in the way of developing informed opinions. Someone mentioned Innovation Quarter earlier. The best way to know if the media is talking about companies is to ask the companies themselves. They love to be bragged about.

https://www.innovationquarter.com/ne...s/in-the-news/

I count 46 media stories in the last calendar year. That's almost one a week. IQ was the front page story in the W-S Journal last Sunday.

W-S gets plenty of ink.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point