U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area in the Triad has the worst/most hectic traffic?
Greensboro has the worst/most hectic traffic. 9 56.25%
Winston-Salem has the worst/most hectic traffic 6 37.50%
Someplace in the Triad other than Winston-Salem/Greensboro has the worst/most hectic traffic (please explain). 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2019, 07:54 PM

2,904 posts, read 2,011,391 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
As someone who has lived in the Washington DC and Virginia Beach areas, I laugh when I hear people around here talk about traffic.
Right, but someone from a town with a population of 100 in a remote part of South Dakota would be shocked at how much traffic is in the Triad too.

I wouldn't even have attempted to compare the Triad to someplace like Washington DC. A comparison among Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point and surrounding communities is more on the same level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2019, 08:01 PM

421 posts, read 293,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
Right, but someone from a town with a population of 100 in a remote part of South Dakota would be shocked at how much traffic is in the Triad too.

I wouldn't even have attempted to compare the Triad to someplace like Washington DC. A comparison among Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point and surrounding communities is more on the same level.
I know. I'm just saying that I don't even notice traffic around here. In any location. It's a walk in the park. Even Virginia Beach was FAR worse traffic-wise.

Old 06-03-2019, 08:11 PM

819 posts, read 1,014,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HRVT View Post
I know. I'm just saying that I don't even notice traffic around here. In any location. It's a walk in the park. Even Virginia Beach was FAR worse traffic-wise.
Okay now, let's not get carried away lol.

Completely different times of the day, and this literally looks like a disfunctional parking lot.

Zoom in on that chaos.

Last edited by GSOCitizen; 06-03-2019 at 08:24 PM..

Old 06-03-2019, 08:48 PM

421 posts, read 293,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSOCitizen View Post
Okay now, let's not get carried away lol.

Completely different times of the day, and this literally looks like a disfunctional parking lot.

Zoom in on that chaos.
The top picture looks like any random time of day in parts of Virginia Beach. The bottom picture? Still not all that bad. What is it? 15-20 cars back? Two light sequences? In VB, I had to sit through 4, 5, or 6 cycles at multiple lights on my way home.

I love the lack of traffic around here.

Old 06-03-2019, 09:18 PM

940 posts, read 503,483 times
I'll throw in my perspective.

I obviously live in the Triangle, but I work in the Triad twice a month. I actually do the same in Hampton Roads so I'll toss that in too since it's been brought up a couple times. My perspective is mostly coming from the highway system and main business drags. Especially during peak hours in the morning and at night.

In my opinion, the Triad is blessed. A lot of big city regions are usually just trying to play catch up to their capacity. The Triad has more road infastructure then frankly I think it needs for it's size. But since I hardly ever run into problems I guess that means it's doing it's job pretty well. Somewhat future-proofed you could say. Obviously I know other roads like Wendover/Battleground/University/Peters Creek can get hectic and yes the highways do get very busy during rush hour, but I don't think I would need two hands to count how many times I've actually been stopped for any significant amount of time anywhere on I40,74, 85, or Hwy52. Unless for an accident of course. Even then, I'm not sure there's been a single time I've actually gotten frustrated with the traffic in either Greensboro or WS. Seriously you guys are fortunate. Hampton Roads is not only so much more confusing to navigate, but the tunnels are guaranteed to be traffic nightmares as well as other problem areas causing a significant amount of backups. And believe me, you guys have a ways to go to get near what the Triangle is experiencing. I can leave the Triad during rush hour with no issues but guarantee things will start slowing down to a crawl around the Miami Blvd exit and will only offer short pockets of relief until well into Johnston county. Same thing in the morning. I40 will be backed up all the way past exit 312 which is normally a full 20 minutes south of downtown Raleigh in normal conditions! And it's getting worse rapidly. Even on Sunday! As someone who spends a lot of time on the road, trust me when I say I envy your traffic.

As far as answering the question directly, I voted Greensboro. I think the difference between it and WS is very minimal, it probably just comes down to me being more familiar. More memories of Greensboro pop into my head when someone says the words "bad traffic" and the "Triad" in the same sentence. But overall it's probably splitting hairs. This whole post of course is just my personal experience.

Old 06-03-2019, 10:02 PM

940 posts, read 503,483 times
Well I guess so much for personal experience, here's the 2018 INRIX traffic scorecard. INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard

Here's some relevant information for the discussion. Only NC cities in the top 62 for worst traffic in the country were Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh, and Charlotte. Since Hampton Rds has been used for comparison as well, Norfolk also made the list.

Here's the rankings (not based solely off time alone) as well as the total hours in congestion in 2018 and the percentile change from 2017.

Out of 62 cities
Greensboro - 56th with 43hrs. 9% better then 2017.
Durham - 48th with 55hrs. 17%worse then 2017.
Norfolk - 43rd with 56hrs. 6% worse then 2017.
Raleigh - 42nd with 57hrs. 4% better then 2017.
Charlotte - 16th with 95hrs. 0% change from 2017.

So I guess there's the actual answer to the OPs question. Greensboro does have the worst traffic in the Triad. I'm sure these numbers swing quite a bit from year to year as no doubt construction of new roads and highways are started/completed and have an affect on the commute. I remember the old report from 2016 I believe had Wilmington as the second worse traffic in the state and Greensboro was dead last of the large cities. So maybe next year the rankings will have changed a bit, who knows...

Old 06-04-2019, 12:38 AM

819 posts, read 1,014,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Well I guess so much for personal experience, here's the 2018 INRIX traffic scorecard. INRIX Global Traffic Scorecard

Here's some relevant information for the discussion. Only NC cities in the top 62 for worst traffic in the country were Greensboro, Durham, Raleigh, and Charlotte. Since Hampton Rds has been used for comparison as well, Norfolk also made the list.

Here's the rankings (not based solely off time alone) as well as the total hours in congestion in 2018 and the percentile change from 2017.

Out of 62 cities

So I guess there's the actual answer to the OPs question. Greensboro does have the worst traffic in the Triad. I'm sure these numbers swing quite a bit from year to year as no doubt construction of new roads and highways are started/completed and have an affect on the commute. I remember the old report from 2016 I believe had Wilmington as the second worse traffic in the state and Greensboro was dead last of the large cities. So maybe next year the rankings will have changed a bit, who knows...
This makes alot of sense, and my statement about winston being alot better was true, it is, Greensboro is getting pretty bad as of late, wait times are way longer, gridlock is a reality, yesterday i was stuck on battleground for 40 minutes, mind you my apartment is 4 miles from where i was..that was ridiculous, i thought someone crashed under the loop overpass thats underconstruction over battleground, but nope, just a ton of cars...and this was at 3.50pm.

For 2019, i'm sure Greensboro hit atleast 49 to 51 hours, meanwhile Winston is a breeze.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:50 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,398,216 times
Traffic Wise, Wendover Ave and Battleground Ave are Greensboro's worst corridors. But traffic in the Triad is nothing like Raleigh and Charlotte.

Old 06-04-2019, 04:59 AM

2,904 posts, read 2,011,391 times
Quote:
I can leave the Triad during rush hour with no issues but guarantee things will start slowing down to a crawl around the Miami Blvd exit and will only offer short pockets of relief until well into Johnston county. Same thing in the morning. I40 will be backed up all the way past exit 312 which is normally a full 20 minutes south of downtown Raleigh in normal conditions! And it's getting worse rapidly. Even on Sunday! As someone who spends a lot of time on the road, trust me when I say I envy your traffic.
I'm basically the opposite of your situation. I reside in the Triad area but my work puts me in the Triangle fairly regularly and I do see a pretty significant difference between the two areas. I know the population of the Triangle is a good bit larger than the Triad, but the traffic seems exponentially more intense in the Triangle.

Old 06-04-2019, 05:56 AM

275 posts, read 95,820 times
Quote:

Out of 62 cities

Since neither W-S nor High Point appear in the study, I'm not sure that conclusion is valid. You are assuming their absence means both of them rank behind G'boro? Without reading the background of the study we don't know if thats the case. They may not have been part of the analysis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or