U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which area in the Triad has the worst/most hectic traffic?
Greensboro has the worst/most hectic traffic. 9 56.25%
Winston-Salem has the worst/most hectic traffic 6 37.50%
Someplace in the Triad other than Winston-Salem/Greensboro has the worst/most hectic traffic (please explain). 1 6.25%
Voters: 16. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2019, 06:40 AM

939 posts, read 502,893 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big John NC View Post
Since neither W-S nor High Point appear in the study, I'm not sure that conclusion is valid. You are assuming their absence means both of them rank behind G'boro? Without reading the background of the study we don't know if thats the case. They may not have been part of the analysis.
Well in 2017 the Triangle Biz Journal did an article on the same report from INRIX for the 2016 rankings and here's how it went for North Carolina.

1. Charlotte
2. Wilmington
3. Raleigh
4. Durham
5. Winston Salem
6. Fayetteville
7. Greensboro

So it wouldn't make much sense that all of those other cities were included 2 years ago but now they weren't analyzed. Matter of fact, they very well could be included in the rankings it's just that the website only shows the top 62 in the US unless you download the full report. So if you would like to do that, knock yourself out. And though I understand that the report probably does have some flaws and can't be considered 100% accurate, surely you agree at least it is based off some tangible data vs the seat of the pants feeling from us forum members.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2019, 06:54 AM

636 posts, read 238,381 times
Rush hour around here is mostly mild, however I used to live in cities like Tampa and Atlanta.

Fortunately, I can avoid Battleground and the 40/29 junction during that time. The rest of the Greensboro is pretty smooth, IMO. I always thought W-S would have worse traffic, due to not having as strong of a freeway network. I never really go there during rush hour, though.

Old 06-04-2019, 07:04 AM

939 posts, read 502,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm basically the opposite of your situation. I reside in the Triad area but my work puts me in the Triangle fairly regularly and I do see a pretty significant difference between the two areas. I know the population of the Triangle is a good bit larger than the Triad, but the traffic seems exponentially more intense in the Triangle.
Gotcha. Yeah there is a noticeable difference for sure. Especially for anyone who has to move across the whole triangle regularly. You get the increased traffic from BOTH major cities as well as RTP and the significantly more busy airport right in the mix as well. Sometimes when I have to start my day south of Raleigh the GPS will actually recommend I take hwy42 all the way through Fuquay-Varina, up through Holly Springs, eventually get on 64 and take that until Siler City so I can finally go north just to get to Greensboro. All to avoid that parking lot that I-40 is in the morning.

Old 06-04-2019, 02:50 PM

275 posts, read 95,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Well in 2017 the Triangle Biz Journal did an article on the same report from INRIX for the 2016 rankings and here's how it went for North Carolina.

1. Charlotte
2. Wilmington
3. Raleigh
4. Durham
5. Winston Salem
6. Fayetteville
7. Greensboro

So it wouldn't make much sense that all of those other cities were included 2 years ago but now they weren't analyzed. Matter of fact, they very well could be included in the rankings it's just that the website only shows the top 62 in the US unless you download the full report. So if you would like to do that, knock yourself out. And though I understand that the report probably does have some flaws and can't be considered 100% accurate, surely you agree at least it is based off some tangible data vs the seat of the pants feeling from us forum members.
Yes, my point exactly. But without reading the full report, its really hard to draw any viable conclusions.

Old 06-09-2019, 06:50 PM

2,032 posts, read 1,745,299 times
Greensboro.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:32 PM

2,904 posts, read 2,011,391 times
I'm circling back around and greatly appreciate the poll responses and posts, but I'm noticing something.

For the purposes of this thread, Greensboro has a slight lead in being perceived with having the Triad's worst traffic, but there are still several votes for Winston-Salem. Yet, none of those have elaborated on why WS is worse than Greensboro, but there have been several people give some specific examples in Greensboro.

Old 06-11-2019, 03:37 PM

421 posts, read 293,107 times
Quote:
I'm circling back around and greatly appreciate the poll responses and posts, but I'm noticing something.

For the purposes of this thread, Greensboro has a slight lead in being perceived with having the Triad's worst traffic, but there are still several votes for Winston-Salem. Yet, none of those have elaborated on why WS is worse than Greensboro, but there have been several people give some specific examples in Greensboro.
FWIW, the one area I have noticed traffic snarl is Stratford in Winston-Salem (near the Hanes Mall). I had to travel through there recently and it took some time to get through to the highway.

Of course, in a recent visit to Hampton Roads (over the last week), I remembered just how bad the traffic is there that reminded me how even the snarl on Stratford is nothing compared to where I've come from.

Old 06-11-2019, 04:07 PM

819 posts, read 1,014,810 times
Quote:

i been wondering the same thing,

Old 06-12-2019, 08:08 AM

212 posts, read 156,489 times
Quote:

I voted W-S so I'll elaborate. Perhaps Greensboro has the worst traffic in the Triad on Battleground and Wendover at rush hour. I can't think of any other roads that are busier than those at that time. But I think Winston has worse traffic on any given time of day. Hot spots being Strattford Road, Hanes Mall Blvd, and 52. Even trying to merge onto Silas Creek from Robinhood can be hectic. I'll exclude the current state of Bus 40, obviously. But 52 always jams up, even when Bus 40 was open.

Maybe Greensboro just has better connectivity. I feel like it takes me longer to get from point A to point B when I'm in Winston.

Old 06-12-2019, 03:12 PM

93 posts, read 82,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebermudatriad View Post
I voted W-S so I'll elaborate. Perhaps Greensboro has the worst traffic in the Triad on Battleground and Wendover at rush hour. I can't think of any other roads that are busier than those at that time. But I think Winston has worse traffic on any given time of day. Hot spots being Strattford Road, Hanes Mall Blvd, and 52. Even trying to merge onto Silas Creek from Robinhood can be hectic. I'll exclude the current state of Bus 40, obviously. But 52 always jams up, even when Bus 40 was open.

Maybe Greensboro just has better connectivity. I feel like it takes me longer to get from point A to point B when I'm in Winston.
I very much agree with this (and that’s why I voted for W-S). I avoid going to Winston-Salem as much as possible because of it... maybe it’s just because I usually am in those hotspots.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or