Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 09:43 AM

2 posts, read 1,940 times

Advertisements

Ok, I'm new to North Carolina and I understand that it's legal here for law enforcement to conceal themselves, ie, behind obstacles and such whereas in other states like CA that is illegal. But is it legal for them to operate the speed traps on private property?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2019, 12:35 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,315,647 times
What do you mean "operate speed traps on private property"? Hide behind a bush or something on private property to monitor speed on a public street?

Old 06-24-2019, 01:41 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,123,443 times
LOL at the whole concept of "speed trap". If you are speeding and get caught, it must be a trap!

Old 06-24-2019, 02:23 PM

1,727 posts, read 2,403,905 times
If you don't fly through people's property, you won't get "trapped".

Old 06-24-2019, 04:36 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,553,311 times
I think (?) the OP may have meant that if you see a law enforcement officer parked in a driveway running radar, can they just automatically do that?

They generally go anywhere the public goes (i.e. a store parking lot) without asking, but if they owner asked them to leave, they probably would pick a different spot (though most property owners welcome this or at least wouldn't say anything about it).

I haven't really seen them sitting in a private driveway of someone's house where they'd be blocking the resident from entering or exiting their driveway.

Also, some of what looks like private property beyond the road pavement may be public right of way (where utility poles, water lines, etc. are), not private property.

Finally, as to the concealment of law enforcement "hiding in the bushes", etc., if I were the motorist being pulled over for whatever reason, I wouldn't hesitate to dial 9-1-1 and ask the operator if it's a legitimate stop from a real law enforcement officer. Chances are that it is, but people have to protect themselves from imposters who would do them harm, particularly where law enforcement vehicles doing traffic enforcement are unmarked, it's dark, it's in an isolated area, etc.

Last edited by Jowel; 06-24-2019 at 05:48 PM..

Old 06-24-2019, 04:55 PM

2 posts, read 1,940 times
Default Thanks

Thanks for the info. My question was sparked by always seeing law enforcement running speed traps near me by hiding in a Church parking lot which is private property. I'm still getting acclimated as I moved here from Los Angeles and in CA not only can they not hide or conceal themselves but running a speed trap on private property is illegal as well.

Old 06-24-2019, 06:49 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,619,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PappyVanWinkle View Post
Thanks for the info. My question was sparked by always seeing law enforcement running speed traps near me by hiding in a Church parking lot which is private property. I'm still getting acclimated as I moved here from Los Angeles and in CA not only can they not hide or conceal themselves but running a speed trap on private property is illegal as well.
Thats not true. Police can sit on private property in all 50 states and issue tickets to speeders and the fact that the officer is not visible is irrelevant in all 50 states as well.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:16 PM

7,177 posts, read 6,726,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Thats not true. Police can sit on private property in all 50 states and issue tickets to speeders and the fact that the officer is not visible is irrelevant in all 50 states as well.
One guy in Summersville, WV managed to ban them from his property outside city limits, though this was well over 10 years ago.

https://www.post-gazette.com/life/tr...s/200511200179

Quote:
Mr. McCue said the aggressive speeding enforcement began in the mid-1990s. When the police started using the parking lot of his shopping center to catch speeders, Mr. McCue had had enough.

"I'll be damned if they're going to set up radar on my customers and take the money they were going to spend in my shopping center," he said.

He forbade the police from entering any of his property not within city limits (the city line runs through the Wal-Mart parking lot). And he started printing bumper stickers reading, "Summersville: The World's Largest Speed Trap" and, later, "Summersville: STILL the World's Largest Speed Trap."

Old 06-24-2019, 07:19 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,619,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LM117 View Post
One guy in Summersville, WV managed to ban them from his property outside city limits, though this was well over 10 years ago.
Oh yeah, they have to leave if the property owner asks, but that does not invalidate any tickets they issue while on private property.

Old 06-24-2019, 07:20 PM

7,177 posts, read 6,726,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Teach View Post
Oh yeah, they have to leave if the property owner asks, but that does not invalidate any tickets they issue while on private property.
True.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point