U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2019, 05:40 PM

815 posts, read 1,009,600 times

Advertisements

Having lived in both, i feel Greensboro and Winston are vastly different from one another, with one city being superior, both have their own characteristics and uniqueness.

(Disclaimer: these are my opinions, and some are facts)

So, from my 7 years in Winston Salem, to my now 5 in Greensboro, here are my differences from an outsides perspective, i was born and raised in Lexington NC, until we moved to Winston Salem and then i moved to Greensboro.

Geography:

The biggest glaring difference is the geography, Greensboro is very flat like a midwestern city and layed out on a grid, winston is extremely hilly like a city in the mountains. I always thought of winston as a larger Roanoke. But then again it is the foothills. You can immediately tell winston is close to the mountains. And i learned to drive a manual transmission in winston...which was difficult to say the least.

Economy:

*Greensboro no doubt "has" the biggest advantage of PTi(GSO) and according to google,wikipedia,surrounding buinesses such as honda jet, the csll sign and the aformentioned ( G.S.O) in it's name...and every "updated" freeway sign..
PTI is definitely in Greensboro...but anyway.

I live right by the airport off of the 485 loop, And this presents Greensboro with aerospace opportunities like Honda aircraft Corp, Haeco Corp and the midatlantic FedEx hub. And future aerospace projects, as well as direct exposrev from people flying into the triad... Again this is a VERY big difference. This was also a factor in Greensboro getting the Publix campus.

(I feel if PTI was built directly in the middle between Winston and Greensboro, both would bennefit, but as it stands, only one is bennefitting.)

Winston is from an era of Tabbaco plants, but over the years it has transitioned from financial and now into tech, as of right now, no doubt winstons economic engine is the Innovation Quarter, as the big banks and financial institutes such as Wachovia and BB&T have sadly came and left. However winston is marching ahead and with the WFIQ. adding innovative and breakthrough tech companies everyday, breathing life into the once desolate and abandoned RJ reynolds that was destroyed by the great winston fire(who remembers that fire?) WFIQ presents thousands of new oppertunities to the CBD.
Baptist medical is also far superior to anything in Greensboro And is also a large part of Winstons economy.

I will not forgive smithreynolds for handing peidmont airlines to Charlotte on a silver platter, and that's all i have to say about smith reynolds.

Greensboro is from an era of textle mills, but over the years as factories shut down, it transitioned to industrial and corporate, and now transitioning to becoming a white collar hub with mortgage and insurance companies, such as Lincoln finanicial Group, Arch Capital Group, and now Truist Mortgage, it's clear greensboro is headed towards a more white collar finacial oriented future. Along with first national bank HQ, kontoor brands and newyork based centric brands being the latest additions to the CBD.

So that along with the airport area puts Greensboro at a big advantage, economy wise.

Moving onto amentities, This is where Greensboro impressed me.

Greensboro has stores and dealerships that you will only find in the triangle , Charlotte or Atlanta, with more shopping variety. This is another big advantage. For example...things like apple, ferrari, cheese cake foctory, west elm.. very impressive for greensboro size.

Nightlife wise:

Greensboro has better nightlife, This is another difference. *And absolutely my opinion*, though many people will probably agree with that.

Population and Statistics wise:

Greensboro is 24% more densely populated at 294.265 vs 247.222.
That's nearly 50.000 more people, That is a VERY big difference.

*A bigger population does not make a better city, it's just data, however it will make your city receive alot more exposure, and on that i will agree with the WSTB board that winston does not grt the coverage it deserves.

Community wise:

Greensboro is a college town through and through, So a good chunk of the population is very young, winstons population is much older and more "family oriented", that is big difference. That i immediately noticed. It also ties into diversity...which will be explained later.

This is one that perplexed me, ubanitity:

Greensboros urban core extends outside of Downtown, this was a difference i noticed immediately, Winston no doubt has an AMAZING downtown for a city it's size, it's truly impressive. But as soon as you leave downtown and go beyong baptist medical, it becomes very suburban, the urbanitity falls apart.

where as greensboro extends it's urbanity to other areas of the city, ie,

Midtown, Four seasons area, colleseum area, friendly area, wendover area, airport area and the battleground/lawndale area. all of these areas, while not downtown are still very urban and dense vs suburban and sparse.

When i think of urban areas in Winston outside of downtown, only Stratford, peterscreek and univerity pky come to mind. BUT winstons downtown is the star of the show, ESPECIALLY The innovation quarter. But five points is an area that i feel can become a development hotspot in coming years.

As far as infastructure:

Greensboro has a hands down superior freeway system and more major freeways intersecting it and it's smack dab in the middle of the boom belt, this is a big difference, and a advantage of this is again..more oppertunities, Truist made it clear it chose Greensboro because it's central location and proximity to charlotte along i85. Where as, Publix said it was due to the freeway and the airport.. All this along with the 45 mile urban loop puts greensboro on top.

I always felt Winston was very isolated. Which is extremely impressive considering how winston boomed on it's own merit in the tabacco era without the help of the boom belt. And is booming once again with the innovation quarter. But lets not forget about restructure of 40 and the much needed beltway. These are key things Winston Salem needs.

Diversity, This is a given:

Greensboro is way more diverse, this is one of the biggest diffrences of the two. Infact Greensboro is the most diverse city in NC population wise. And as a black man i noticed that immediately, it also has many large international shopping stores and a ton of smaller stores, international communities and foreign resturats..i appreciate this.

Southern Charm:

Winston is a much more, typical southern American midsize city, it still has that "good ol' boys" with the population leaning more towards white, which is not a bad thing as it keeps that distinct southern charm intact, however yet again, this changes within the Innovation Quarter, Winstons gains alot of diversity. Greensboro feels more "new south" like Durham. It lacks southern Charm. You get more of that "hey, yo man" vs the "good ol' boys" feeling. As for which is better? That depends on your preference.

Entertainment wise:

Greensboro is no doubt the entertainment Capital of the Triad, with the collesuem/convention area, near future GPAC, Carolina theatre, Aquatic center, no doubt one of greensboro's biggest differences..

in closing:

For me, Greensboro is the winner, mainly because it's a midsize city that offers the amentaties,shopping,lifestyle and infastructure of a 500.000+ city and has alot diversity for a city it's size, it's also not afraid to think outside the box with it's more "liberal" forward thinking.

Last edited by GSOCitizen; 06-17-2019 at 06:13 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2019, 06:26 PM

232 posts, read 62,653 times
I disagree that the differences are vast, glaring, big or clear. They are small, subtle and personal. Both have pluses and minuses, but are far more alike than different. One person may like one city better than the other, but that does not mean one city is objectively superior to, or better than, the other.

Last edited by Edward Teach; 06-17-2019 at 07:34 PM..

Old 06-17-2019, 06:44 PM

623 posts, read 1,023,296 times
Winston doesn’t seem to feel the need to impress, or try to show how “cool” it is like Greensboro does. Winston is comfortable in its own skin, at least it seems to be compared to Greensboro.Winston is old money NC, and it shows.

Winston has the better arts scene, local music scene, local eating establishments. It seems to thrive more on local and regional type stuff than caring about having a Maserati dealership.

I had to chuckle reading the part of your post suggesting Winston not being a college town compared to Greensboro. The higher education in Winston is on higher level than anything that can be found in Greensboro

Better roads? Yes, Greensboro has the massive 8 lane sprawly highways and independence blvd designed corridors. The infrastructure is better on the Greensboro side of the triad.

As far as feeling bigger? Neither really feel all too big. Winston’s downtown area however gives you the feeling of a larger city with the good urban streetscape AND having tall buildings. Greensboro has elm street and a growing downtown, it’s really all about preference here. I don’t see the “urbanism” that you seem to all over Greensboro....especially when compared to Winston. The inner neighborhoods of Winston are some of the better in the state.

Shopping? Yes Greensboro has friendly center, which offers some stuff winston does not. Although Winston gets stores like Trader Joe’s, Whole Foods, And Chopt before Greensboro does.

Better nightlife? Sure maybe for the average top 40 music blaring clubs. For the local bar scene with craft cocktails, or breweries, or patio scenes? Winston is no slouch and easily matches or beats Greensboro.

Old 06-17-2019, 06:48 PM

29,871 posts, read 27,324,185 times
The Four Seasons area is very urban and dense? In what universe?

Old 06-17-2019, 06:52 PM

4,576 posts, read 4,393,634 times
I will say Greensboro really isn't all that flat. By comparison to Winston-Salem topography it may be. But Greensboro has subtle rolling hills and in certain parts of the city, particularly the far northwest edge of town going towards Stokesdale it starts to look a lot like Winston-Salem.

Education wise Winston-Salem has a far superior university. Wake Forest is the top university in the Triad. However Greensboro makes up for it because it has two really good universities. When you compare NC A&T versus Winston-Salem State (both HBCUs), NC A&T is more superior and has the best engineering program in the Triad.

Old 06-17-2019, 09:56 PM

939 posts, read 502,272 times
Here's my opinions. I know a lot more about Greensboro but I'll try not to make it overly biased.

Geography

As far as which one is prettier? Winston. Much more picturesque. Obviously more hilly. Outside of that, eh idk that there's much difference. But that IS a significant difference.

Economy

Both feel much more "old south" then they do "new south" to me. Booming southern cities of the past. Glad to see neither sitting idle though. They may not be boom towns anymore but it's good to see some momentum and big wins lately. I guess Greensboro does have an advantage here but at least neither are dying or hurting like some of the old legacy cities of the Midwest for instance. I'll add the medical field seems to be strong for both cities economies. As far how both cities compare for income:

Individual avg income: Greensboro $32,428 vs WS $31,445
Household avg income: Greensboro $44,978 vs WS $42,219
Unemployment rate: Greensboro 6.5% vs WS 8.2%

So minor differences except for that unemployment rate unfortunately for WS.

Amenities

Yeah I guess you gotta give that edge to Greensboro overall.

Nightlife

Can't say much here as I know next to nothing about WS nightlife. Greensboro in my opinion wins this easily but that's mostly because I'm just much more familiar with it. Though I will say that I have cousins and a sister in Greensboro in the 20-24 age bracket that spend more time bouncing between Raleigh/Durham-CH/Charlotte either as much or more then they do hanging out downtown Greensboro. So for those more familiar with WS’s nightlife, it might be a wash. Idk.

Population/statistics

Well yeah Greensboro is a little bit bigger. Growing a little bit faster too if I remember correctly. Winstons downtown definitely looks bigger and more impressive but outside of that I would say Greensboro feels a bit bigger. Driving on 40 through Greensboro to me always gives it a deceptively larger feeling then it actually is. Lots and lots of development focused around the interstate. So that helps it's case. Heck, if it wasn't for downtown being visible for that small stretch, one could easily assume Greensboro was larger then Raleigh based solely off driving on I-40 through both.

High Point melting so seemlessly into Greensboro helps it to feel larger and more expansive as well where as I agree that WS feels like the more isolated portion of the Triad. But again overall there isnt a stark contrast imo. I disagree that 50k people is a huge difference. The MSA numbers arent that big of a gap either. Same with GDP and most other size related metrics.

Community

Again, more familiar with Greensboro and it's people. But from what I know of both. Doesn't seem much different. The two cities are almost identical in median age at right about 35. I think WS has had the reputation as being higher crime but actually I think that has been spiking lately for Greensboro. That probably swings back and forth a bit. Slower pace, overall nice people from my experience in both cities. Winston is more religious so maybe that would contribute to a tighter knit community? Idk

Urbanity

Demographia's Urban Area population list doesn't have either city as above 500k so that makes me think they're probably pretty similiar and come in somewhere not far under that number. Idk that I can give much of an edge here other then what's already stated. WS feels more urban and built up at it's core. Greensboro probably feels more urban and built up everywhere else.

Infrastructure

Both are good I would say. But Greensboro has a pretty clear advantage. Has more then enough to grow into too imo.

Diversity

Yeah Greensboro is more black, but outside of that can we really say it's more diverse? I guess I would need to see a more accurate comparison of hard numbers before I could definitively say that. I think I would have to challenge that Greensboro is the most diverse city in the state too. If there's better numbers for that I'm all for seeing them. As far as personal experience, I don't see a noticeable difference at all. We're not comparing WS to DC here.

Southern Charm

Wash for me.

Entertainment

Sure you can say Greensboro. Just has more to do. But for someone that views anything having to do with the mountains as entertainment/recreation, then WS makes up for lost ground there.

From a true outsiders opinion who has never lived in either, I view both cities as way more alike then they are different. For someone moving to one or the other, I can see how the little differences that this thread may expose could make a....difference. But for anyone else I would think the two cities are viewed as very close siblings more then much else.

The biggest contrast to me very well might be the geography. Two cities in the same metro but one being at the foothills almost feels like a city that could also be in a flatter part of WV or something. Where as the other just feels like more of a landlocked "middle of the state" city. With that being said, I do prefer Greensboro for my personal preference.

Last edited by Trent Y; 06-17-2019 at 10:05 PM..

Old 06-18-2019, 01:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trent Y View Post
Here's my opinions. I know a lot more about Greensboro but I'll try not to make it overly biased.

Geography

As far as which one is prettier? Winston. Much more picturesque. Obviously more hilly. Outside of that, eh idk that there's much difference. But that IS a significant difference.

Economy

Both feel much more "old south" then they do "new south" to me. Booming southern cities of the past. Glad to see neither sitting idle though. They may not be boom towns anymore but it's good to see some momentum and big wins lately. I guess Greensboro does have an advantage here but at least neither are dying or hurting like some of the old legacy cities of the Midwest for instance. I'll add the medical field seems to be strong for both cities economies. As far how both cities compare for income:

Individual avg income: Greensboro $32,428 vs WS $31,445
Household avg income: Greensboro $44,978 vs WS $42,219
Unemployment rate: Greensboro 6.5% vs WS 8.2%

So minor differences except for that unemployment rate unfortunately for WS.

Amenities

Yeah I guess you gotta give that edge to Greensboro overall.

Nightlife

Can't say much here as I know next to nothing about WS nightlife. Greensboro in my opinion wins this easily but that's mostly because I'm just much more familiar with it. Though I will say that I have cousins and a sister in Greensboro in the 20-24 age bracket that spend more time bouncing between Raleigh/Durham-CH/Charlotte either as much or more then they do hanging out downtown Greensboro. So for those more familiar with WSs nightlife, it might be a wash. Idk.

Population/statistics

Well yeah Greensboro is a little bit bigger. Growing a little bit faster too if I remember correctly. Winstons downtown definitely looks bigger and more impressive but outside of that I would say Greensboro feels a bit bigger. Driving on 40 through Greensboro to me always gives it a deceptively larger feeling then it actually is. Lots and lots of development focused around the interstate. So that helps it's case. Heck, if it wasn't for downtown being visible for that small stretch, one could easily assume Greensboro was larger then Raleigh based solely off driving on I-40 through both.

High Point melting so seemlessly into Greensboro helps it to feel larger and more expansive as well where as I agree that WS feels like the more isolated portion of the Triad. But again overall there isnt a stark contrast imo. I disagree that 50k people is a huge difference. The MSA numbers arent that big of a gap either. Same with GDP and most other size related metrics.

Community

Again, more familiar with Greensboro and it's people. But from what I know of both. Doesn't seem much different. The two cities are almost identical in median age at right about 35. I think WS has had the reputation as being higher crime but actually I think that has been spiking lately for Greensboro. That probably swings back and forth a bit. Slower pace, overall nice people from my experience in both cities. Winston is more religious so maybe that would contribute to a tighter knit community? Idk

Urbanity

Demographia's Urban Area population list doesn't have either city as above 500k so that makes me think they're probably pretty similiar and come in somewhere not far under that number. Idk that I can give much of an edge here other then what's already stated. WS feels more urban and built up at it's core. Greensboro probably feels more urban and built up everywhere else.

Infrastructure

Both are good I would say. But Greensboro has a pretty clear advantage. Has more then enough to grow into too imo.

Diversity

Yeah Greensboro is more black, but outside of that can we really say it's more diverse? I guess I would need to see a more accurate comparison of hard numbers before I could definitively say that. I think I would have to challenge that Greensboro is the most diverse city in the state too. If there's better numbers for that I'm all for seeing them. As far as personal experience, I don't see a noticeable difference at all. We're not comparing WS to DC here.

Southern Charm

Wash for me.

Entertainment

Sure you can say Greensboro. Just has more to do. But for someone that views anything having to do with the mountains as entertainment/recreation, then WS makes up for lost ground there.

From a true outsiders opinion who has never lived in either, I view both cities as way more alike then they are different. For someone moving to one or the other, I can see how the little differences that this thread may expose could make a....difference. But for anyone else I would think the two cities are viewed as very close siblings more then much else.

The biggest contrast to me very well might be the geography. Two cities in the same metro but one being at the foothills almost feels like a city that could also be in a flatter part of WV or something. Where as the other just feels like more of a landlocked "middle of the state" city. With that being said, I do prefer Greensboro for my personal preference.
very excelent and imformative points trent, thanks for that write up.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:07 AM

29,871 posts, read 27,324,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
I had to chuckle reading the part of your post suggesting Winston not being a college town compared to Greensboro. The higher education in Winston is on higher level than anything that can be found in Greensboro
I do think Greensboro is more of a college town. Wake Forest is certainly the best in the Triad, but it's not a very large school. UNC-Greensboro and NC A&T are a good bit larger than Wake Forest and WSSU, which gives Greensboro more of a college town feel IMO.

Old 06-18-2019, 10:48 AM

623 posts, read 1,023,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I do think Greensboro is more of a college town. Wake Forest is certainly the best in the Triad, but it's not a very large school. UNC-Greensboro and NC A&T are a good bit larger than Wake Forest and WSSU, which gives Greensboro more of a college town feel IMO.
I wouldn't really consider either of them a college town. Winston-Salem schools while smaller, seem more organically engrained into the local culture. Due to Winston-Salem being smaller, it's easier to see the influences of higher ed in the city. The city of Arts and Innovation repuation has direct ties to its culture of education. Don't forget the North Carolina school of the Arts, also located in Winston-Salem. Old Salem also has Salem College, right in the heart of the city.

Old 06-18-2019, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinablue View Post
I wouldn't really consider either of them a college town. Winston-Salem schools while smaller, seem more organically engrained into the local culture. Due to Winston-Salem being smaller, it's easier to see the influences of higher ed in the city. The city of Arts and Innovation repuation has direct ties to its culture of education. Don't forget the North Carolina school of the Arts, also located in Winston-Salem. Old Salem also has Salem College, right in the heart of the city.
i think he means college town because the total ammount of higher education institutes.

The University of North Carolina at Greensboro
North Carolina A&T State University
Bennet universty.
Elon university school of law.
E.C.P.I University.
Strayer University.
Greensboro college.
Guilford technical institute
GTCC school of Aviation.
UN college of visual and performing arts

I myself would consider it a college town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or