U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2019, 07:36 PM

1 posts, read 215 times

Advertisements

We're moving to NC this summer, and one of us will be working in WS. We have some livestock (a couple of pigs, goats and fowl currently) and, i might be wrong, but it seems like the zoning ordinances are very strict over there, even in areas that seemed to be rural/agricultural.

Iím sure a lot of people donít have a problem breaking a few rules, but I do worry about moving somewhere and then hearing I need to ďrehomeĒ my animals.

Can anyone recommend me an area near the triad that will allow us to have these animals (we don't commercialize anything, they're all pets)?

Right now Yadkinville is looking the best, where RA zoned properties will allow for livestock/swines with a conditional permit.
I hear north of WS may work as well, like King and other areas outside Forsyth county.

Does anybody have any input on counties that are more lenient for this purpose? Iíve been looking over the municipal codes but itís a lot of work, as each city/county is different, and itís starting to get frustrating
We can't afford a huge farm, and we donít even need too much space, just somewhere that allows for livestock and where weíre able to commute to WS (under 1h drive).

Appreciate any info!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2019, 01:42 PM

1,256 posts, read 2,111,597 times
I would think Davidson County, south of WS, would be fairly lenient...just stay in the County and not in the limits of any city (so stay out of Thomasville, Lexington, Wallburg, Midway, etc). One home across the street from our subdivision has a plethora of farm animals; they're probably a mile outside of Forsyth County, in unincorporated Davidson County. We're only 20 minutes from downtown W-S.

Last edited by emelvee; 06-25-2019 at 01:52 PM..

Old 06-25-2019, 07:07 PM

2,655 posts, read 6,099,613 times
The rules in Winston-Salem seem rather permissive to me. Here is a link to the city ordinance dealing with livestock:

https://library.municode.com/nc/wins...IICOOR_CH6ANFO

Pretty much anything goes except pigs. There are rules about proper shelter, setback from property lines, sanitation, etc., but they don't seem strict to me. Wondering how you got that impression.

You'll have no issues in the unincorporated areas of Forsyth County. There are still a number of farms out in the county.

Old Today, 01:43 PM

3 posts
Kernersville and Walkertown which are both near at hand to Winston are great areas where this will not be an issue for you.

Old Today, 02:15 PM

28,568 posts, read 62,355,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nalbuque View Post
Appreciate any info!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBhpiUFSYWI
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or