Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2019, 06:05 PM

118 posts, read 78,561 times

Advertisements

Everything that I have read regarding the Randolph County site is that the primary focus was landing an automobile manufacturing facility; it seemed that Toyota / Mazda was a done deal, in fact, before they went to Alabama at the last second. Greensboro / Randolph County is too far outside of the existing supply chain, serving existing auto manufacturers in South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee. North Carolina is very unlikely to ever land an auto manufacturing facility, and the state government is aware of this. Too little, too late. The Randolph County is not yet certified, and is also bisected by a 2-mile section of a major Duke Energy transmission line. Toyota insisted that it be moved, yet Duke Energy has yet to do so.

Yes, Triangle Tire is building in Edgecombe County, and Fayetteville has had a tire manufacturing facility for many, many years. However, the auto industry (world-wide) is in the beginning states of a slump, and with the current trade war, it's doubtful that new tile manufacturing facilities will be built in North Carolina, or anywhere else in the US.

I am not aware of any existing "advanced manufacturing" in Greensboro, but that would be a promising direction to take a look at.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2019, 06:13 PM

4,985 posts, read 3,962,513 times
Greensboro
Highpoint
Winstonsalem

RTP did it.
GHW, maybe.

Old 07-30-2019, 06:29 PM

2,064 posts, read 1,642,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slackjack View Post
Everything that I have read regarding the Randolph County site is that the primary focus was landing an automobile manufacturing facility;
That doesn't mean its not being marketed to other industries. You don't know whats going on behind the scenes.

Quote:
I am not aware of any existing "advanced manufacturing" in Greensboro, but that would be a promising direction to take a look at.
Lots of advanced manufacturing in the Triad: Honda, Qorvo, Amada and more. GTCC's Center for Advanced Manufacturing has a 100% placement rate for its graduates.

You seem to think that the only reality is what you know; thats not true.

Old 07-30-2019, 09:43 PM

I am not familiar with the term "advanced manufacturing". I am not trying to be sarcastic.

Perhaps Cree making a 1 Billion dollar investment is "advanced manufacturing":

As part of its long-term growth strategy, Cree, Inc. (Nasdaq: CREE) announces it will invest up to $1 billion in the expansion of its silicon carbide capacity with the development of a state-of-the-art, automated 200mm silicon carbide fabrication facility and a materials mega factory at its U.S. campus headquarters in Durham, N.C. It marks the company’s largest investment to date in fueling its Wolfspeed silicon carbide and GaN on silicon carbide business. Upon completion in 2024, the facilities will substantially increase the company’s silicon carbide materials capability and wafer fabrication capacity, allowing wide bandgap semiconductor solutions that enable the dramatic technology shifts underway within the automotive, communications infrastructure and industrial markets.

Who knows ?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:45 PM

Perhaps it's SAS making a 1 Billion dollar investment in IA ?

Old 07-30-2019, 09:46 PM

BTW - Turkeydance has a good idea !

Old 07-30-2019, 09:47 PM

I meant to say SAS investing 1 Billion dollars in Artificial Intelligence , rather than IA.

Old 07-31-2019, 12:18 AM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,283 times
Quote:
Everything that I have read regarding the Randolph County site is that the primary focus was landing an automobile manufacturing facility; it seemed that Toyota / Mazda was a done deal, in fact, before they went to Alabama at the last second. Greensboro / Randolph County is too far outside of the existing supply chain, serving existing auto manufacturers in South Carolina, Georgia, Alabama and Tennessee. North Carolina is very unlikely to ever land an auto manufacturing facility, and the state government is aware of this. Too little, too late. The Randolph County is not yet certified, and is also bisected by a 2-mile section of a major Duke Energy transmission line. Toyota insisted that it be moved, yet Duke Energy has yet to do so.

Yes, Triangle Tire is building in Edgecombe County, and Fayetteville has had a tire manufacturing facility for many, many years. However, the auto industry (world-wide) is in the beginning states of a slump, and with the current trade war, it's doubtful that new tile manufacturing facilities will be built in North Carolina, or anywhere else in the US.

i think they mean advanced manufacturing by refering to opperations like honda jet, as they are reasearched, developed and built here and the pay is definitely much higher than your typical manufacturing setups, i guess centric brand could be considered with it's much higher than average pay, just not sure if Haeco can be considered, kontoor can also be added to that list with it's revolution mill research and development campus, publix is just a distribution campus, but atleast it will pay 40k a year and have some corporate offices, 1000 jobs are also nice, especially in the east part of the city.

Old 07-31-2019, 05:18 AM

2,064 posts, read 1,642,760 times
Quote:
I am not familiar with the term "advanced manufacturing". I am not trying to be sarcastic.
"According to the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology Report to the President on Ensuring American Leadership in Advanced Manufacturing:

Advanced Manufacturing technology is “a family of activities that (a) depend on the use and coordination of information, automation, computation, software, sensing, and networking, and/or (b) make use of cutting edge materials and emerging capabilities enabled by the physical and biological sciences, for example nanotechnology, chemistry, and biology. This involves both new ways to manufacture existing products, and especially the manufacture of new products emerging from new advanced technologies.”

In addition, according to the President’s Council of Advisors on Science and Technology Report to the President on Capturing Domestic Competitive Advantage in Advanced Manufacturing:

Advanced Manufacturing is not limited to emerging technologies; rather, it is composed of efficient, productive, highly integrated, tightly controlled processes across a spectrum of globally competitive U.S. manufacturers and suppliers. For advanced manufacturing to accelerate and thrive in the United States, it will require the active participation of communities, educators, workers, and businesses, as well as Federal, State, and local governments."

https://cerasis.com/advanced-manufacturing-technology/

Old 07-31-2019, 07:08 PM

1,409 posts, read 1,959,283 times
Study: NC is 7th best state for aerospace manufacturing

https://www.bizjournals.com/triad/ne...aerospace.html

A very interesting article, touching base on opperations in the triad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point