U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2019, 12:50 PM

4 posts, read 2,106 times

Advertisements

My husband has a possible job offer in Winston Salem. My sister moved down there last year and likes it a lot, but can not help me with information since she doesn't know a lot about the area herself. We are a family of 6....an adult daughter, 2 teenage sons, and a 10 year old girl. We love the outdoors, and currently live 15 miles from the ocean. It will be hard to give up the proximity to the ocean, but we love the mountains also and are hoping to be close enough that we can enjoy some weekends in the mountains.

I have no idea where to start. If my husband gets this job, it will pay pretty well and our current budget in looking for a home will be somewhere around $400,000. More of a concern, though, is the area. We would like semi rural as that is what we have now. We don't want isolation, so We would love to be near enough to a city for entertainment, etc also. (within an hour is fine). We love nature, parks, biking and hiking.

Any ideas for beautiful areas within 40 minutes or so of Winston Salem will be most welcome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2019, 01:17 PM

38 posts, read 25,062 times
Check out the Lewisville and Clemmons area. It’s about 10 to 15 minutes west of Winston so easy trip into town and less developed than closer in. Only caveat is that it’s growing pretty fast and I wouldn’t really call it semi-rural, more suburban. If you want a more rural feel with still some amenities check out Mocksville. It’s about 25 minutes west of Winston and is a nice little town that has plenty of room to spread out. Definitely a more semi-rural feel there. Both being west of town would put you in easy proximity for weekend mountain retreats. With a budget of $400k you should have no problems finding a nice house in those areas.

Old 08-21-2019, 01:34 PM

741 posts, read 274,615 times
Yes, Lewisville, Clemmons and Pfafftown areas are what you're looking for, especially Lewisville and Pfafftown.

Old 08-23-2019, 02:24 PM

7,284 posts, read 13,625,323 times
These are all good suggestions. Without knowing where you're coming from, it's hard to quite know what your definition of "semi rural" might be, but I agree that Lewisville and Pfafftown are good places to start. In general, west and northwest of Winston proper will give you the best mix of good schools (if that's a concern), rural/semi-rural setting, and proximity to amenities.

Old 08-24-2019, 06:10 PM

321 posts, read 72,526 times
I'm finally escaping this area (was born & raised here) yet I can offer some advice. Stay away from South, North, and especially East Winston-Salem and you should be fine. Pfafftown, Rural Hall, Walkerown, and Lewisville are nice areas to live in.

Old 08-24-2019, 08:21 PM

3,080 posts, read 2,127,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenwriter70 View Post
I'm finally escaping this area (was born & raised here) yet I can offer some advice. Stay away from South, North, and especially East Winston-Salem and you should be fine. Pfafftown, Rural Hall, Walkerown, and Lewisville are nice areas to live in.
Your post makes it sound as if most of Winston-Salem is a no-go zone, which certainly isn't the case. There are only sections within these areas that are problematic, and even pockets of not so nice areas in West Winston-Salem. I agree the much of the Eastern side of the city is the downtrodden.

Old Today, 12:36 PM

4 posts, read 2,106 times
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back here. I wanted to thank you all for the help. We are coming from New Jersey (we are suburban to semi-rural in this part of Ocean County). We actually like New Jersey in a lot of ways, but with my latest property tax bill finally hitting $10,000 (2100 sq ft home on an acre subdivision), we think it's time.

We also hate the long long winters and want to moderate some. That, combined with the fact that my last remaining sibling had to move to North Carolina last year and us wanting to be near each other after my mom's passing, has made the decision for us. As soon as we hear about my husband's job offer (fingers crossed), we will put our home up for sale.

Luckily our home is almost paid off and we will be able to pay cash for a home in North Carolina. That, combined with hopefully lower property taxes will be a nice reprieve from the high cost of living where we are now. We are taking a trip to the area soon and can't wait to check out the towns mentioned.

thanks again
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point