Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2008, 03:27 PM

11 posts, read 78,116 times

Advertisements

We just moved here from Tucson, AZ and have been looking for a home in the Kernersville area. We have also looked in HighPoint and just today drove through Jamestown. We have been trying to find established neighborhoods instead of the typical new builder subdivision. We really like "Abington" & "Sedge Lake" in Kernersville. Can anyone make recommendations on other established neighborhoods in the area. We are not set on Kernersville, it is just where we have looked the most. Anything within 15 miles of the intersection of 68 and I-40 would work.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Eric
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2008, 10:38 PM
JJM

61 posts, read 236,558 times
What price range are you looking at and are schools important to you? That plays alot into where I'd recommend you look. We looked at Abington when we were moving here and decided it was a bit far out from everything for us. We ended up in North High Point. There are many, many nice neighborhoods to choose from here in a variety of prices. The schools are better in some areas than others so it's important to know if that is a consideration for you.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:32 AM

Schools are definitely important. We are OK with driving the kids to school, if we live out of district, but of course don't want to go too far.

As far as price range, we're hoping to stay under $170, which limits what's available.

Are there specific neighborhoods you can recommend in North High Point?

Thanks!!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:57 AM

52 posts, read 183,418 times
we just bought in Abington and love it. The schools are great.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:10 AM

20 posts, read 88,369 times
We plan to move to Kernersville area sometime this year---I will retire in June. We have looked at several homes off Sedge Garden Road---they are newer communities but they have several new homes and as well as homes that only a few years old that are well under 170. Good luck!!
Maybe we will see you there someday MOVING FROM PA

Old 04-21-2008, 10:28 AM
JJM

61 posts, read 236,558 times
Southern Chase, Waterford, Bent Creek, these subdivisions all have homes in the price range you are talking about. The key to North High Point is you want to be in the Southwest school district. That generally is any neighborhood on the right side of the road when you turn onto Skeet Club Road from Rt 68 (Eastchester Drive). Also, if you turn right onto Barrow Road from Skeet Club Road there are a lot of subdivisions up there that go to the Southwest schools. We wanted the NW schools which are very popular but couldn't find anything in our price range. But you can look near the airport at the Cardinal subdivision and also up 68 north into the Oak Ridge area. Summerfield is nice too.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:41 PM

Thanks! We found a couple houses that we want to look at in High Point. We're also checking out Jamestown.

Any other suggestions for neighborhoods? In K'ville or not?

Old 04-22-2008, 07:24 PM

12 posts, read 36,564 times
If you are looking for an established neighorhood in Kernersville, Smokerise is right next to Abington and I know there is one for sale there.

Old 04-27-2008, 11:42 PM

1 posts, read 5,188 times
Grew up in Kernersville and will be working off highway 68 starting in Sept....Dated girls and had a few friends in Abington, thats a nice neigborhood. Aunt used to live in smokerise (if I remember correctly there will be quite a few houses built in the 80's and 90's in that neiborhood). Parents live behind the Ymca, half of which is established but there is a newer part that has homes being built now, but there are quite a few for sale that were built by local builders in 80's, 90's, 00's....Grew up in Branchwood, accross from 4th of July park (nice established neigborhood, grandparents still live there). Oakmont off of Hopkins Rd may have a few houses in the 170's to Low 200's.... I could probably think of some more if you were interested, just let me know. I would buy a house in any of these areas if I didnt have to live on the East side of Greensboro, near Stoney Creek... Word of advice, I liked attending Forsyth County Schools and would recommend them....Guilford county schools have been in the news lately for re- drawing districts and "busing" kids to other districts. If you want to live in Guilford County, I would recommend the Northwest side (68N to Bryan BLVD, Battlegroundrd and Summerfield area (a town between Kernersville and Greensboro)). It has more of a country feel and you probably could get a little more land out that way if you were interested.

Old 05-15-2008, 07:50 PM

4 posts, read 19,315 times
This thread interested me as my family and I are considering a move to the Triad area hopefully next year. Looking to make it a long term/(permanent?) move. I'll look at all the areas mentioned, but what can anyone tell me about Oak Ridge (up on 68). I like the population size and it's proximity to PTI and short drive to Greensboro. Schools - good/bad??? Housing - median price on a 4 BR/3BA??? Anything else you can share is appreciated. Thinking about driving up for the July 4 weekend and looking around the Triad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point