U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 11:52 AM

3,868 posts, read 6,670,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonFLL View Post
However, most everyone I asked said that they would recommend going up to 10 miles away to cut down on cost and commuting to work (but they are all from Charlotte instead of W-S).

As for the hotel, it couldn't be helped. This trip (flight, car, hotel) is not being picked up by the company and thus, I had to budget for it tightly. The Radisson gave me a room for $39 per night through Hotwire and I jumped on it since the next highest was a Days Inn for $48 per night.
Charlotte is VERY different from the Triad. "10 miles away to cut down on commuting"? Huh?

Great deal on the hotel. Don't blame you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2008, 04:03 PM

10 posts, read 28,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by akwebb81 View Post
Well, you'll probably end up spending more than $10 a day in gas just to and from High Point. I would reitterate that you would be best served looking downtown. I know the Nissen apts start around 650?, for a studio and go up, but they are extremely nice inside. You really probably won't find much outside the college area for $500, except in some less than desirable areas, but I'm basing that off of when I had looked for apts last year and was looking for 2-bedrooms. I would say no to Clemmons as it is a family town, not really a great place for singles(ie: you'll be bored). When you're in town, you should check out the events downtown, Thursday there is music in the park by the BB&T building, I don't know if the Friday you're in they will have Jazz and then Saturday night they block off Trade and 6th streets and have music, etc... Just something to look at doing while you're here.

If the Nissen apts are really that low I will again look into them. I gave them a cursery look back when I started this thread and I did not see anything less than $900 per month. I thought that was for a studio too. Because of that, I thought I was priced out of downtown. I will definitely give them and others downtown a look, and I will spend some nights in downtown to get a feel for them.

Roadpony, upon reading the part you quoted, I realize how convoluted that statement was. I mean they asked me to look up to 10 miles away to cut down on the cost of rent/cost of living in exchange for adding a commute to work. This is what I had to do when I went to school in College Park, Maryland but lived in Sterling, VA and commuted about 1-2 hours each way depending on traffic (with the occasional 45 minute trip when it was dead quite-ish).

Last edited by BrandonFLL; 06-05-2008 at 04:45 PM..

Old 06-06-2008, 02:47 AM

5 posts, read 18,662 times
Move to Concord,Sailsbury,or Statesville. They are all small cities but they are between Winston-Salem and Charlotte. You can have the best of both worlds. Party Life and Work Life.

There is nothing to do in Winston-salem as far as fun is concerned. It is a good place for a job and a more settled down person. Charlotte has a lot more to do. Greensboro is more entertaining than Winston-Salem.

Old 06-09-2008, 07:11 PM

210 posts, read 446,243 times
Crowne Club is very nice as is Summerlin Ridge, where I was placed for 2 months during my company paid relocation. Both allow pets and have pools. I would say to rent and then explore to find where you really want to be.

Clemmons is great for families, Ardmore seems like a quaint area for people in your age group, and stay away from places on N. Patterson near the Reynolds airport. One of my assistants (age 25, single) lives in Greensboro, and she dislikes WS. Another, (age 27, married) lives in a neighborhood near Buena Vista and Robinhood Rd and loves WS, dislikes Greensboro. Why? Personal likes and dislikes.

Old 07-17-2008, 08:33 PM

2 posts, read 3,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
Be sure everything you have stated that the company says they will provide is in writing. Otherwise, don't count on it. Will you still want the job then?

But you are asking about living. I would recommend to rent and not buy until you know for a fact the job is working for you. IT jobs are dwindling in the Triad and even in Charlotte. Raleigh/Triangle area is where those jobs are more abundant.

Clemmons is nice with the small town feel. Lots of new restaurants in that area. Your commute to Charlotte would be via I40/I77? Another option is along USHwy 52 south to I85.
If you do relocate to the area and end up living in Clemmons, I can give you directions for the back roads to Charlotte. Good luck on your decision.
BTW, I have lived in this area for many years and although it can be a little challenging for the 20-30 ish group, it is a good place to live. It is affordable, housing and property taxes are reasonable and most people are pleasant and cordial.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:09 PM

10 posts, read 25,829 times
Can anyone give me information on Sedgefield Apartments on Country Club Road? Safety, schools, crime, shopping, etc.

Old 03-22-2009, 01:25 PM

870 posts, read 1,969,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Princess8883 View Post
Can anyone give me information on Sedgefield Apartments on Country Club Road? Safety, schools, crime, shopping, etc.
I lived at the complex next door Crown Club for two months and currently have two friends who live at Sedgefield now. It's a convenient location near lots of stuff. I haven't heard about any safety or crime issues. Can't comment on the schools since I don't have kids. Only reason I didn't like it is at certain times of the day it's can be a real pain trying to make a left turn out of the complex.

Old 03-22-2009, 07:03 PM

10 posts, read 25,829 times
Thanks Sualum2004!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point