U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 08:56 PM

10 posts, read 28,899 times

Advertisements

Hi y'all,

Been focusing my search the past two or three weeks on the Charlotte boards when today I finally got offered the job in a different site. Need some help in learning about the areas. I read a number of the threads but many seemed focused on a different demographic or taste than mine. I REALLY want to take some time to visit the area first. The job starts in July but I just got back from vacation on my current job and am about to take some more time off in May for graduation. I am being promoted internally, so they are trying to see if they can working something out so I can come up and check out the area before starting the new job. Scheduling this might be tough though.

Key differences about me and many other posts (to sum up the more detailed info below):
- single
- recent grad
- does NOT mind commute
- does NOT mind traveling between cities
- does NOT mind driving to get everything done
- no the super party type
- coming from Fort Lauderdale, Florida (mid-sized city by my standards)

Anyway, here is some more detailed info to help:
I am 25 years old, single, and just finished my Masters Degree.
Lived in Fort Lauderdale, FL almost my entire life (did a stint in Chicago back in the early days) and I really like Florida. Tallahassee wasn't but, but kinda a small town. Miami is too big. I loved DC for the 3 weeks I spent up there, but dislike Chicago. Am I enough of conundrum yet?

The job will be in downtown Winston-Salem. For the first year, I will play two roles and occasionally have to go to Downtown Charlotte. I can live with that. Here in Florida, a 20-minute 10-mile commute using I-95 doesn't bother me at all. I go to friends house in Coral Springs and Miami all the time and the 30 miles is not a problem. I grocery shop by car for the 2 miles I have to go (I would try walking if Florida would cool down a bit -- or I did not get run over twice will walking before).

No kids, no girlfriend at the moment, wanted to enjoy a little bit of the single life and make plans for a family. No too much of the party guy but like to go every once in a while. SoFlo is very multicultural, so I have no worries about the culture one way or the other.

Reading the other threads, Greensboro seems to be the more popular choice, but many also advocate many things about W-S. The fact that I will be working in downtown may affect people's judgment. Like many others, I value safety highly and with this new job, a wee bit on the pricey side is acceptable (I doubled my salary w/ the move). Looking to rent at first and then buy, but willing to jump if the opportunity provides itself. Want to stay at up to $200 but if I must, I must.

Anyhoo, I may have only a weekend or two here to take off and visit, so I need to plan heavily for any visits.

Sorry for the long-winded post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2008, 07:22 AM

93 posts, read 318,402 times
two words: gas prices

move to winston, it's a great city but then again so is greensboro.

to get from the middle of greensboro to winston takes about 45 minutes

could be longer during rush hour

Old 04-25-2008, 09:07 AM

2,560 posts, read 7,718,298 times
Move to Charlotte. It will better suit your needs at your age!

GOOD LUCK!

Old 04-25-2008, 09:54 AM

93 posts, read 318,402 times
distance to charlotte 81 miles
double that 162 miles

@ 25 mpg
gallons used per day 6.48

cost @ $3.50/gallon per day $22.68

cost per week $113.4

per month $453.6

I'd rather put that in an IRA or something

Old 04-25-2008, 01:47 PM

2,560 posts, read 7,718,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewDad View Post
distance to charlotte 81 miles
double that 162 miles

@ 25 mpg
gallons used per day 6.48

cost @ $3.50/gallon per day $22.68

cost per week $113.4

per month $453.6

I'd rather put that in an IRA or something
I have a fiiend that lives at Lake Norman (North) and works in Ballantyne (South Charlotte) and drives 48 miles each way in traffic in an SUV and spend over $400 a month in gas...and hers is just a local commute.

I was just suggesting that move to Charlotte and find a job in Charlotte...better suited for that age of a person than the Triad.

Have a GREAT weekend!

Old 04-25-2008, 05:58 PM

Default Gas not an issue

Thanks for the input. But now here's a twist with this plan. The company will provide transportation between Winston-Salem & Charlotte (the run a daily bus for the employees) and if I ever take my car instead, I get to choose to either claim mileage or use the company card for gas.

Choosing another job is not really a current option. I have been trying to get a job in my degree's field for four years now (now just transitory job, but career). Doing this transfer, I will finally be in my field. I got a bonus in the xfer pay b/c I just finished my Masters as this recruitment program is mostly Bachelors and the company has paid my Masters completely. If I leave w/in the next two years, I have to pay them $25k.

Finding an IT job has been tough in Florida for anything outside contract work. I am now locked in for a pension, my 401k gets a 6% match, my health benefits are great, and my tenure gives me 4 weeks of paid vacation a year. Unless I find another IT job w/ the same company in Charlotte, this will be my job.

However, moving after my 1-year stint in this position is an option.

I have thought of going into Greensboro, but really cannot decide. Some things about Clemmons sound good, but its hard as I have not been in NC in many years (and then it was just one summer in Boone).

EDIT to add: Also, when I work in Charlotte, it will be for 1-2 weeks at a time and the company would provide a hotel in Charlotte for me to stay at.

Old 04-26-2008, 05:13 PM

10 posts, read 62,942 times
Default Why

There is nothing here in winston-salem!!!

Old 04-27-2008, 07:14 PM

222 posts, read 849,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonFLL View Post
Thanks for the input. But now here's a twist with this plan. The company will provide transportation between Winston-Salem & Charlotte (the run a daily bus for the employees) and if I ever take my car instead, I get to choose to either claim mileage or use the company card for gas.

Choosing another job is not really a current option. I have been trying to get a job in my degree's field for four years now (now just transitory job, but career). Doing this transfer, I will finally be in my field. I got a bonus in the xfer pay b/c I just finished my Masters as this recruitment program is mostly Bachelors and the company has paid my Masters completely. If I leave w/in the next two years, I have to pay them $25k.

Finding an IT job has been tough in Florida for anything outside contract work. I am now locked in for a pension, my 401k gets a 6% match, my health benefits are great, and my tenure gives me 4 weeks of paid vacation a year. Unless I find another IT job w/ the same company in Charlotte, this will be my job.

I have thought of going into Greensboro, but really cannot decide. Some things about Clemmons sound good, but its hard as I have not been in NC in many years (and then it was just one summer in Boone).

EDIT to add: Also, when I work in Charlotte, it will be for 1-2 weeks at a time and the company would provide a hotel in Charlotte for me to stay at.

So. Your job is with Wachovia?

Old 04-27-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipster View Post
So. Your job is with Wachovia?
Yes it is. Moving from their retail side. I search and read some of your posts to other people. My like for the quality of Clemmons is growing, but I was wondering if you felt I would be better situation more centrally between W-S and GSB?

Thanks for the help

Old 04-28-2008, 10:12 AM

222 posts, read 849,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonFLL View Post

Get the mileage/gas card offer in writing. If you use the bus, will the hours the schedule allows be enough for you to do your job?

Be sure everything you have stated that the company says they will provide is in writing. Otherwise, don't count on it. Will you still want the job then?

But you are asking about living. I would recommend to rent and not buy until you know for a fact the job is working for you. IT jobs are dwindling in the Triad and even in Charlotte. Raleigh/Triangle area is where those jobs are more abundant.

Clemmons is nice with the small town feel. Lots of new restaurants in that area. Your commute to Charlotte would be via I40/I77? Another option is along USHwy 52 south to I85.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point