Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2020, 03:55 PM

38 posts, read 60,701 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
For what it's worth, there is/has been a disproportionate amount of Klan activity in Caswell County (and Alamance County) throughout its history.

From an article in the Raleigh News & Observer, Nov 2018:
https://www.newsobserver.com/article222136675.html
I believe the Klan may soon be labeled a terrorist organization due to the way society is changing. Its days are numbered; its star falling. People, in general, have had enough. The new generation is much more open-minded. Yanceyville, in particular, seems to be a diverse town where people get along, just based on my impressions so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2020, 04:18 PM

597 posts, read 439,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bosco70 View Post
I believe the Klan may soon be labeled a terrorist organization due to the way society is changing. Its days are numbered; its star falling. People, in general, have had enough. The new generation is much more open-minded. Yanceyville, in particular, seems to be a diverse town where people get along, just based on my impressions so far.

Not as long as our current president is in office.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:23 PM

628 posts, read 393,183 times
Quote:
Thanks. I am looking at buying a home there. I'm aware of the school rankings, which are just that, and do not always reflect reality. For example, what I mentioned above etc. I do not have school-age children, however.
Thats not information from something like Greatschools. Thats actual information from the state, based on test scores, graduation rates, etc. It is reality. Current reality. Your hope that higher income, better educated residents might magically move there and somehow drive school improvement is just that: hope. Not reality. And even if you don't have children, school quality is a big driver of population growth and real estate demand.

It sounds like you have decided Y'ville is the place for you, to which I say congrats and wish you well. I hope you find your happiness there. I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is? You appear to be seeking validation on your decision, not actual opinions that may not agree with you.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPiedmontTriad View Post
Not as long as our current president is in office.
He's a goner. No chance he'll get reelected. Too much has happened.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
Thats not information from something like Greatschools. Thats actual information from the state, based on test scores, graduation rates, etc. It is reality. Current reality. Your hope that higher income, better educated residents might magically move there and somehow drive school improvement is just that: hope. Not reality. And even if you don't have children, school quality is a big driver of population growth and real estate demand.

It sounds like you have decided Y'ville is the place for you, to which I say congrats and wish you well. I hope you find your happiness there. I'm not sure what the purpose of this thread is? You appear to be seeking validation on your decision, not actual opinions that may not agree with you.
Well, sure -- I take your point. The state rankings rank test scores and graduation rates. Certainly, I agree with all that you said. And the point of the thread is to take in aspects people feel strongly about and to not look at a home purchase just with rose-colored glasses. But the schools are not so atrocious I feel that it warrants not having hope based on reason. The logical basis is the reality of what I said -- that millions of dollars are being invested in building the new high school, which has new leadership.

Old 07-06-2020, 04:47 PM

Quote:
He's a goner. No chance he'll get reelected. Too much has happened.
I wish I could truly believe that. I thought the same thing in 2016, and look what happened. I do hope you're right.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stede Bonnet View Post
I wish I could truly believe that. I thought the same thing in 2016, and look what happened. I do hope you're right.
The FBI investigation hurt Clinton last time at the end. Yes, it's Biden's to lose as it was Clinton's. But fundamentally Trump won't win because he’s just bad at being president, and with the coronavirus, he’s found a way to be really bad in public. We didn't know before in 2016 what kind of president he'd actually be. We've seen it now; it's ugly. People see it and are turned off - enough are for him to lose.

Old 07-06-2020, 05:26 PM

Quote:
The FBI investigation hurt Clinton last time at the end. Yes, it's Biden's to lose as it was Clinton's. But fundamentally Trump won't win because he’s just bad at being president, and with the coronavirus, he’s found a way to be really bad in public. We didn't know before in 2016 what kind of president he'd actually be. We've seen it now; it's ugly. People see it and are turned off - enough are for him to lose.
As I said, I hope you're right. The problem is that his supporters think he's doing a good job, and the electoral college isn't Biden's friend. I'm not at all convinced that the people who voted for Trump in 2016 won't vote for him in 2020.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:19 PM

107 posts, read 110,393 times
From what I can tell, there has been a huge political miscalculation on the part of the democrats but I doubt they will believe it even when it blows up in their faces. Probably will just blame Russia and impeach Trump again. It’s very strange. I guess they have to do what they have to do but at some point it seems like somebody would use some sense.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:34 PM

6,081 posts, read 4,554,265 times
Back to Yanceyville, while I'm not extremely familiar with that corner of Central NC, and it may be a very friendly place, its demographics are challenged, as the following link (scroll down to p. 38) and data on the general City-Data website (if you explore the maps) shows.

https://www.ptrc.org/home/showdocument?id=6827

Lower incomes, lower home values, lower educational educational attainment are issues that the area faces. As far as growth, perhaps it would attract some people who are really fine with a simple, rural lifestyle, but unless something changes drastically, the growth for people who want to be in close proximity to the Triad and Triangle is probably going to remain focused closer to the I-85/I-40 corridor, and it may be decades before Yanceyville sees significant growth, if it happens.

I see a certain charm and appeal in rural out-of-the-way places like this except for the politics, which are often way too far right wing for my tastes. However, Caswell County is a little unique for rural central North Carolina, with Democrats outnumbering Republicans by an almost 2 to 1 margin. Part of that is because of Caswell county's significant African American population, which is heavily Democratic.

https://vt.ncsbe.gov/RegStat/Results...07%2F04%2F2020
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point