Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2007, 03:30 PM

31 posts, read 123,088 times

Advertisements

OK, so like everyone else in the world (it seems), I am looking to relocate to NC from NY. My husband is in sales, so we are looking for an area that is centrally located. We have relatives in the lake norman area, but that is a little too congested for our tastes. We also were looking for a little more property >an acre. We're not ready to move just yet (probably at least another year) but we were thinking of buying some property now. We don't hunt or fish, but like to kayak, hike, bike, ride horses, etc. We have two boys, a 3 yr old and a 5 month old. I came across a community in Denton called the springs. Looks very nice, but I can't seem to get a feel for what the area is like. Anyone know anything about it?? Can anyone tell me anything about the South Davidson schools? We are planning a trip in dec to look around, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 04:07 PM

22,974 posts, read 65,493,145 times
I dont have much information in regards to The springs but it a lake neighborhood community. I can tell you a little about High Rock Lake, Denton and Davidson County.

Denton is a small southern town and it is close knit not diverse community.
That can be plus or negative depending on how you like that.

I would also avoid getting a home in a cove on this lake try to find one off the main channel and you probably will be able to tell this in December.

Here is good website in regards to schools
http://www.schoolmatters.com/schools.aspx/q/page=sr/txt=South$sp;Davidson,$sp;Denton/ust=NC/so=1/sc=0/fp=1/adts=NC/fltr_nb=Elementary/p=1?ctxt=960233&adt=Davidson%20County%20Schools (broken link)

District Search Results Page

If you need help narrowing down what schools serve that area let us know. I am uncertain about elementary school and depending where in Denton you are located the middle high school will either be South Davidson or Central Davidson.

It a great area to have quality time with your family and feel safe.

Old 11-26-2007, 08:44 PM

thank you for your feedback. It's really a balancing act in trying to find the right quality of life. I was drawn to this area, initially b/c of it's central location, but I also like the idea of being off the beaten path. We are a very outdoorsy family, so I like the the idea of being close to the a big lake and also having the uwharrie mountains close by. The reason I gravitated toward this particular community was the fact that it offered community ammenities without being cramped on a small piece of property. Most lots are at least an acre (it seems.) On the other hand, it seems to be such a small town, that I am concerned about the local view on outsiders, as well as the lack of diversity. And although my children will not be attending school for another few years, I do want them to have access to extra cirricular activities and sports, when the time comes....smaller town, fewer choices, right?

Any suggestions as to other areas to explore?

Old 11-27-2007, 08:00 AM

btw, the schools are South Davidson. Thanks for the tip on the school matters website. Its a good tool. I had been using greatschools.net, but it's nice to have other sources.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:38 PM

Just an FYI for anyone reading this thread. We visited the Springs in December. It is Gorgeous!!!! Beautiful homes, huge lots, lake living, views that go on forever. The community is built on a mountain, between a high rock lake and the uwharrie national forest. The town of denton, itself, is quite small and in need of a makeover, but I think it has potential.

Old 03-25-2008, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyla View Post
Just an FYI for anyone reading this thread. We visited the Springs in December. It is Gorgeous!!!! Beautiful homes, huge lots, lake living, views that go on forever. The community is built on a mountain, between a high rock lake and the uwharrie national forest. The town of denton, itself, is quite small and in need of a makeover, but I think it has potential.
I am glad you like the area it has much potential in improving your quality of life. Let us know if you move there.

Old 11-18-2008, 08:54 AM

1 posts, read 8,790 times
We too are from NY and 2 years ago began our search for a place to relocate too. After searching South Carolina (Hilton Hd and surrounding areas), Columbia SC, Lake Wylie, Lake Norman (crazy $ because of Nascar) we found The Springs. We knew immediately this was what we were looking for, bought a great piece of property (2+ acres) on the lake and broke ground on Sept. 7th. I agree that the town of Denton needs help but like I told my wife (the ultimate skeptic), as more of us Northern Yankee Carpet baggers keep moving into the area, the surrounding communities will have no choice but to grow. We will "demand and require" more services and ammenties. It will change the rustic nature of the area but will bring it into the 21st century. Hope you read this and it helps in your decision.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smartclips View Post
We too are from NY and 2 years ago began our search for a place to relocate too. After searching South Carolina (Hilton Hd and surrounding areas), Columbia SC, Lake Wylie, Lake Norman (crazy $ because of Nascar) we found The Springs. We knew immediately this was what we were looking for, bought a great piece of property (2+ acres) on the lake and broke ground on Sept. 7th. I agree that the town of Denton needs help but like I told my wife (the ultimate skeptic), as more of us Northern Yankee Carpet baggers keep moving into the area, the surrounding communities will have no choice but to grow. We will "demand and require" more services and ammenties. It will change the rustic nature of the area but will bring it into the 21st century. Hope you read this and it helps in your decision.
You wants are exactly what us locals of this state and resent your type moving in. YOu want to have these visions of change when the residents of Davidson County are happy with the things the way they are.

You think moving here going to cause change doubt it . Denton hasnt change much in 30 years I know I go there often and hung out there when I was a kid sure there a new stop light a new strip mall but the culture will not change for the next 30 years. It sounds like your happy with your piece of property but not the culture around you well that is good for someone materialistic. I hope you enjoy the dogs barking the hunters in the woods , the mud riding on the lake shores because that Davidson County style of living
I like to consider Davidson County is a place that time has forgot and the locals like it that way
I hope you dont have kids or enrolled them in a private school because South Davidson schools dont rank that well . South Davidson schools are ok just not great
http://www.ncreportcards.org/src/ser...Year=2006-2007

If your desire is to be a diverse place then this area isnt right place to be.
http://pics.city-data.com/craces/15263.png (broken link)

Be careful what you say to who you say it to Denton is a close knit family type town and what you say could backfire and the community will shun you out.

Enjoy your views of beautiful red mud the lake gets extremely low in the winter . I hope your not in a cove or youll see.

Old 01-08-2009, 06:26 AM

1 posts, read 8,626 times
So Sunny Kayak I really hope you are right about that. I'm a Yank with a southern mentality, always have been. I grew up in a very rural town in Upstate NY. I am looking to retire to NC also and have been looking in and near Denton. I like the idea that this area is mostly rural. What I am getting from you is that the locals are hard working 9 to 5ers Monday through Friday and play just as hard come Friday night through Saturday but come hell or hangover manage to make it to church services on Sunday.

Old 01-08-2009, 07:15 AM

121 posts, read 382,739 times
yeah, that is the major thing that most NC'ers don't get from the upstate NY'ers moving in. A lot of people from rural upstate NY are exactly from towns similar to the southern small town mentality.....but without the snow.

The people coming in from other places that ENCOURAGE sprawl and "ammenities" or "civilization" is what I fear is ruining NC. Sprawl is not good. Starbucks on your corner is not a perk. Invest local and at least have some independent stores and shops.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point