U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point
 [Register]
Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point The Triad Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2020, 06:40 PM

16 posts, read 11,906 times

Advertisements

Our violent crime rates, especially homicide rates, here (Greensboro) have increased to record breaking highs in 2020 alone, particularly towards October and November, close to election time.

luckily i stay on the northside, actually a bit into Browns Summit, I rarely have any need to go to downtown areas or any central parts of town, and will Never do so now, especially after the Guilford Courthouse shooting that happened in BROAD DAYLIGHT, in fact at times i have occasionally gone to Reidsville to do occasional shopping.

yep, THAT Bad!..... numbers below:

Violent crime rate of 822.3 per 100k is triple that of Raleigh with their 255.8 this year, despite Raleigh being Bigger. Still higher than Winston's 592 and Durhams 733. Only city in NC that closely matches numbers, is Charlotte with 788, still less.

https://www.rhinotimes.com/news/greensboro-ranked-as-states-most-dangerous-city/

Assaults and homicides are Some of the most prevalent crimes,

assaults, are at 1,892,

and the Homicide total has ascended sharply to 60 this year, up from previous years,
(now double Winston-Salem's and Durham's 28 and 32, respectively.)

https://www.rhinotimes.com/news/coun...violent-crime/

this harkens back to the 2000's and early 2010's when Danville VA was struggling with High crime like this, granted it's a smaller city, but, the main thing is, crime has spiked to absurdly high rates that businesses closed up and left, leaving Danville in a grim, gloomy stature.

that is certainly not the path any of us wants to see a large successful city such as Greensboro heading down.

hopefully the law enforcement funding study and the Cure for Violence is the ultimate trump- card to saving "Greater Greensboro" from sliding down that same DARK, treacherous path

Last edited by NCRoadTrip; 12-09-2020 at 06:57 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 10:47 PM

177 posts, read 153,455 times
I'd like to add some context to this highly alarmist post.

Charlotte is in the triple digit homicides right now (In just 2018 they had only 57 for the entire year.)

Going into October, shootings in Durham were up 70 percent with over 200 people being shot.
https://abc11.com/durham-gun-violenc...tings/6548173/

Whats happening in NC cities (not just Greensboro) is part of a national trend. Murders are spiking everywhere. Jails and prisons are releasing a lot of people who they ordinarily wouldn't due to covid. I also think police have modified a lot of their policing this year due to covid and additional scrutiny with the protests. Add the pandemic's effect on the lower income economy and its not good news. With that said, NC cities are still low on the proverbial totem pole in this metric.

Take a city like Memphis with 700k people (smaller than Charlotte), they hit 300 murders this year already.
https://www.commercialappeal.com/sto...ar/3795945001/

That article you posted mentions St. Louis (city proper only) which has a little over 300k people (roughly Greensboro's size) and has over 200 murders. https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/...-rate-73430605

Two cities, similar size (again, city proper only), Greensboro with 60 murders, STL with 200+.

I don't mean to downplay the crime in Greensboro, because it's a problem, but context is needed in these threads where the fearmongering just runs wild. Going all the way to Reidsville to shop for basic goods out of fear just seems extreme.

Old 12-10-2020, 09:06 AM

185 posts, read 145,991 times
when I got out of the gym this morning at the Golden Gate shopping center , there were police cars and crime scene van in parking lot
Looks like something happened to one of the businesses in that shopping center but havent herd yet...

Old 12-10-2020, 07:16 PM

224 posts, read 126,567 times
I always thought that Greensboro had a reputation for being safe and clean. Most cities have seen a spike in crime during the covid-19 pandemic but these stats are eye-opening. Durham and Charlotte have both struggled with crime over the years, so I was surprised to see Greensboro rank the highest in the state. Hopefully, things will improve in 2021 as covid-19 is brought under control.

Old 12-11-2020, 06:49 AM

63 posts, read 47,142 times
Greensboro is safe. Like any city there are areas to avoid where most of these crime statistics occur but the vast majority of the city is fine.

Old 12-12-2020, 11:17 AM

49 posts, read 44,184 times
I saw the article referenced above online. I admit it made me think again about us possibly relocating there but I agree that COVID has increased crime everywhere and that needs to be taken into consideration. We are looking at Greensboro and also Winston Salem and surrounding areas. Is High Point worse do you think? Housing costs are reasonable in all those areas it seems but High Point seems even more so. Wondering thoughts on that from anyone who lives in that area? We need an area as far north as we can get and these areas seem to be some of the only options that are large enough for us to get employment etc.

Old 01-01-2021, 05:12 PM

107 posts, read 86,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgthompson123 View Post
I saw the article referenced above online. I admit it made me think again about us possibly relocating there but I agree that COVID has increased crime everywhere and that needs to be taken into consideration. We are looking at Greensboro and also Winston Salem and surrounding areas. Is High Point worse do you think? Housing costs are reasonable in all those areas it seems but High Point seems even more so. Wondering thoughts on that from anyone who lives in that area? We need an area as far north as we can get and these areas seem to be some of the only options that are large enough for us to get employment etc.

I would steer clear from High Point.

We are definitely at the front end of a vicious crime wave, and I agree that Greensboro is probably not as bad as other urban areas. It's just terrible public policy, I mean complete lunacy. What do people think is going to happen when elected officials actively support lawlessness? I think it might turn around in a few years, but unfortunately there's a lot of pain that will have to be experienced before people get their heads on straight.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:36 PM

611 posts, read 493,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAdmiralHalsey View Post
I would steer clear from High Point.

We are definitely at the front end of a vicious crime wave, and I agree that Greensboro is probably not as bad as other urban areas. It's just terrible public policy, I mean complete lunacy. What do people think is going to happen when elected officials actively support lawlessness? I think it might turn around in a few years, but unfortunately there's a lot of pain that will have to be experienced before people get their heads on straight.
There's nothing at all wrong with northern High Point. Been here four years and we like it and quite safe.

Old 02-15-2021, 05:03 PM

124 posts, read 49,506 times
The safety of a city is a significant determinant for many when considering relocation. What's the problem in Greensboro? Is it the mayor, the police, the citizenry? 61 murders in 12 months in a city of under 300,000 is an embarrassment. Please understand that every city in this great country is competing to lure the best and brightest into their midst wth jobs and safety being no minor considerations. The lack of jobs in Greensboro is a far more intractable problem, but crime's gotta go on the front burner. And what's with the trash beside the roads? Is there a barrel shortage, or is it just laziness? I love the city, but we got work to do. Please excuse my directness, it's a "yankee" thing.

Old 02-15-2021, 06:10 PM

231 posts, read 160,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TunedIn View Post
The safety of a city is a significant determinant for many when considering relocation. What's the problem in Greensboro? Is it the mayor, the police, the citizenry? 61 murders in 12 months in a city of under 300,000 is an embarrassment. Please understand that every city in this great country is competing to lure the best and brightest into their midst wth jobs and safety being no minor considerations. The lack of jobs in Greensboro is a far more intractable problem, but crime's gotta go on the front burner. And what's with the trash beside the roads? Is there a barrel shortage, or is it just laziness? I love the city, but we got work to do. Please excuse my directness, it's a "yankee" thing.
Bless your heart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Greensboro, Winston-Salem, High Point